PDA

View Full Version : More RR problems 3rd one died after 30 sec

minytrker
April 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
My 3rd rr died only after 30 secs. I started my car and played with the idle speeds for about 30sec. Later I tried to mess with it again and got the dreaded cannot communicate with rr. Please tell me Im not the only that is having problems with there's. I tune 6-7 days a week and depend on my stuff to work, so the rr was a great tool to buy because its such a kick ass product. So far my rr has spent more time in the mail back and forth between me and Craig. Anyone else out there gone through this?
I really dont think its my laptop because it done it on both of them. I also dont think its any driver issue or anything because 2 of the 3 rr did work for a few weeks. I hope its something I have set wrong, but I doubt since I have had the rr working already.

Tordne
April 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Do you find that lights get brighter (or dim) when you walk past?

I've had my RoadRunner permanently installed for months now and no issues (asside from the known DC car adapter issue). It has done thousands of KMs with me and no hiccup at all!

Doc
April 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Man that really blows. Knocking on wood...I have been taking my RR in and out of litterally dozens of cars since I got it over a year ago with no problems whatsoever.

minytrker
April 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
They have each had there problems. The very first one, never did work right and took about an hour to get to work with each car, then it just quit doing live updates, guess the chip went out. The second lasted for awhile and I tuned several cars with it and even had it in my car for about 2 weeks. It then died while tuning a car after we stopped for gas. I turned off the car and it wouldnt start or do anything, the actual pcm part of the rr went out. On to the third one, well it only lasted a few mins and I think the chip went out. Im hoping its a driver issue but since it was working for a little while I dont see it being that. Iam really close to giving up on the rr but I love using it to much. I just cant keep sending the back and waiting all the time.

ringram
April 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Mine wont flash to 12.14R but otherwise seems fine.

TAQuickness
April 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Minytrker - All three died when they were installed in your vehicle?

minytrker
April 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM
No, three differnt cars.

Craig Moates
April 25th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Don't worry, we'll get you squared away.

MCG
April 25th, 2007, 05:21 AM
When one of mine quit working, I sent it back to Craig and he sent me his personal one that was working to try. Same thing with it, the RR would work well for a while, then it would cause the car to die, not start, etc. So, I knew it was something on my end and not with the RR itself.

After a lot of debugging, I traced it down to voltage spikes through my car adapter that bounced the voltage to the USB port and would wig out the RR. It took a long time to figure this out, but I switched over to a heavy duty adapter and have never had a problem since.

minytrker
April 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I dont use any adapters. Each of the rr died differntly and after differnt time frames. This rr only worked for 30 sec. The previous one worked for a couple of months without any problem till the actual pcm part of it died.

dc_justin
April 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM
No problems here. Have it semi-permanently mounted in my Trans Am, but have taken it out to use on other vehicles without any problems.

Justin

minytrker
April 25th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I have been trieing stuff off and on today. I tired a differnt laptop, tried the wireless, tried wrapping in foil and it still doesnt work. I really think the thing crapped out. It did work without doing anything to it, then it quit. I didnt change anything, it just wont work. :help:

Doc
April 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Wired and wireless? Were the failures on wired or wireless, or both? I am sorry for what must seem like another "been there done that" question but I would hope your situation just ends up being a mathmatical/statiscal anonomly.

Alvin
April 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM
It seems like I have confused mine everyonce in a while. Usually letting it sit out of a car for 30 minutes brings it back to life.

i'm honestly pretty hard on my equipment as I also do this for a living. The roadrunner has been damn reliable for me. I have one of the very first ones and the only thing that has ever broke is the usb cable and that was my fault.

VT LS1 NZ
April 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
When you plug the RR into your laptops USB does it activate or does it search for hardware?
If your tried wireless then it won't be the cable.
If youve checked that there is power to RR then the RR at fault.
There was an issue early on that was fixed by a following certain steps(I'll have to look for them) or leaving the power off the RR over night.

Are you using an extra length attached to your USB cable?
I had an issue on the weekend with the car I was tunning I added an extra length to the cable and I couldn't talk to the RR.Mind you that was fixed my closing everything down & restarting.
If you are doing that this could be the cause of all your problems.

minytrker
April 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Im using the stock cable. I am going to try the wireless, since I have it sitting here. I have been working with Craig to get ths sorted out, his customer service is top notch and he stands behind his products.

Craig Moates
April 27th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Lorenz,

When you get back, I've got something else I want to try.

It does sound like you're having a noise susceptibility problem. It is something that might be addressed with something as simple as a modified interconnect cable. I'm going to do some testing on my side and see if I can reproduce and then subsequently and brutally destroy the issue.

We'll continue working with you (and anyone else who ever has any issue) to get your Roadrunner to be an 'Old Faithful' unit. You should be spending your time tuning cars and not troubleshooting hardware. Thank you very much for your patience though, and apologies for any inconvenience.

Best regards,
-Craig

minytrker
April 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Thanks Craig,

The surgery went well so hopfully in about a week I will be able to get back with you. I will give you a call when I up and going again.

minytrker
May 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well it works now with the wireless thanks to Craig!!!!! It still doesnt work with the usb but I can live with that if the wireless works. I only used it today for a few mins but hopfully tomorrow I can try the rr out with the wireless some more.

Delco
May 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Well it works now with the wireless thanks to Craig!!!!! It still doesnt work with the usb but I can live with that if the wireless works. I only used it today for a few mins but hopfully tomorrow I can try the rr out with the wireless some more.

HAd similar issues with the USB cable, since converting to wireless I havent had a failure , the only downside is not beign able to suck the tune out of the RR when wireless and the wireless dropping out when restartign the car , if you try and make a change then it corrupts the sram and a full flash fixes it once the wireless connection is remade.

I wouldnt tune without the road runner these days - even with some of its minor quirks the customer service is great and the unit is indispensible.

minytrker
May 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I wouldnt tune without the road runner these days - even with some of its minor quirks the customer service is great and the unit is indispensible.

I agree 100%

GMC-2002-Dmax
May 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I can only say that Moates is top knotch for support.

I have one of the first RR/LB7 Diesel ECM's and it has worked flawlessly for over a year.......:cheers:

It never leaves the truck, it has over 20K miles of time running in my truck.

:D