PDA

View Full Version : +15% on the ve table...

brokenfly
May 8th, 2007, 07:14 AM
1. with a wideband operating is +15% to the ve table needed?(rpm modifier seems to fill the void okay)...
2. are the bens applied to the 15% raised ve table or to the lower stock ve table?

the reason i ask is because after trying both ways(don't get any ideas :muahaha: ),the smoother stock lower ve table makes car feel sluggish,while the jagged +15% table puts down the best numbers at the track...

wes...

SSpdDmon
May 8th, 2007, 08:32 AM
When starting out the AutoVE for the first time, a general increase to the VE (like the 15% mentioned in the tutorial) is a bit of a judgement call. If the car has bolt-ons only, then 15% is going to be too much. When getting started, 5% would probably cover a bolt-ons car in actuality. However, because people have boosted cars or H/C cars, 15% was chosen in a sort of a CYA mentality for EFI Live. It's better to be wrong and rich than wrong and lean. In my case, I needed more than 15% from 5600rpms on up and less than that from 5200rpms and below. At idle, my VE is actually about 50% less than stock. That progressive increase from -50% at idle to +22% around peak torque/hp is fairly common among H/C cars. The problem becomes communicating that in a tutorial.

In the end, the correct AFR numbers are going to make the most power. The tricky side of it is, finding those correct AFR numbers, commanding them, and then having commanded AFR match the WBO2 AFR. The only way the last part can happen (in SD) is if the VE table is setup correctly.

wadesns
May 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I too was wondering about the 15% i have tried that to start with and it didn't work at all for my setup stroker heads big cam. I haven't been brave enough to twist it more than 5500rpms while doing the auto ve. I am trying to learn from this and doing lower rpms gives me less data to comprehend. On to my real problem with auto ve... after doing the idle tune that redhardsupra has on his blog without a wb I then changed my ve and added the 15%. Now when I take off from a stop my engine dies unless i rev the engine and slip the clutch(m6) this happens no matter how much gas i give it. Is this because the transition between idle and running areas on my ve are too great? Would it hurt to leave my ve untouched in my idle areas and slightly above?

Thanks,
..RJ..

ringram
May 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
NA you can probably just leave it stock and work up slowly from there.
15% will make it very rich in most cases. Just make sure you log lots, stay off the throttle and make sure you arnt getting lean detonation.

The idea of the 15 as mentioned is to play it safe.

SSpdDmon
May 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I too was wondering about the 15% i have tried that to start with and it didn't work at all for my setup stroker heads big cam. I haven't been brave enough to twist it more than 5500rpms while doing the auto ve. I am trying to learn from this and doing lower rpms gives me less data to comprehend. On to my real problem with auto ve... after doing the idle tune that redhardsupra has on his blog without a wb I then changed my ve and added the 15%. Now when I take off from a stop my engine dies unless i rev the engine and slip the clutch(m6) this happens no matter how much gas i give it. Is this because the transition between idle and running areas on my ve are too great? Would it hurt to leave my ve untouched in my idle areas and slightly above?

Thanks,
..RJ..
I wonder if you issue is more timing related. Where's your timing set at when you start from a dig?

Bruce Melton
May 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Seems that with a good sized cam and the "right" timing, adding anything to initial VE in the <1200 rpm range is likely to take you further from good lean idle. You are going to get false AFR readings due to cam overlap anyway.
Trying to get any initial idle without MAF is hard enough so adding fuel is contrary to where you will end up.

wadesns
May 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM
My timing was changed in the idle regions but I am unsure what it is I'll look into that this afternoon. I have noticed that before the truck will take off i have to be above 1600 rpms and my wb goes lean around 16.3 or so until i pass this rpm. I will try changing my ve back to what i had before editing it for autove inder 1200rpms.

Thanks,
..RJ..

SSpdDmon
May 9th, 2007, 07:52 AM
...and my wb goes lean around 16.3 or so...

If it doesn't have enough juice to get rolling, then that's a problem. Work on that AFR and see if it gets better.