PDA

View Full Version : Serious problems again - please help

Boost
May 11th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I just locked up a PCM again. I have tuned this truck succesfully 5 times already, and I don't understand why this is happening.
For those that are browsing this forum, I have had amazing success with EFILive, and have tuned 15 vehicles with no problems and great results.
So it must be something that I am doing wrong.

It's a 2006 Silverado with a 5.3 "T" motor. He went back stock for a while due to the fuel prices, and wanted his tune back for the weekend. I made sure that my laptop as well as the truck battery is properly charged, and turned on the ignition. (all accesories off, of course). Opened his tune file and "checked status". Got an ok (green check mark), so I went to write. It started, but never made any progress. When I saw the red letters and reflash failed I got worried. Shut the key off, waited for the 15 second countdown. Truck will not start. Tried to reflash stock, no response. tried unplugging the PCM (which works sometimes), but it still won't start. ???

I know that I did not wait very long (maybe less than 30 seconds) after I turned the ignition on, but if the modules were still too active to tune, it shouldn't give me the green check as if it's ready to go. I am sorry that I am having these problems, but it's really bad because now the guy is without his truck and I have to come up with a PCM. I am going to endanger my job if I warranty any more controllers. Please help, what am I doing wrong??

Black02SS
May 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM
What exactly is the error you receive when you try and reflash it?

SSpdDmon
May 11th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Was it a full re-write or just a partial flash?

Boost
May 11th, 2007, 08:41 AM
It does not say "warning full flash" if that's what you're referring to. It's a simple power tune and gear adjustment that I've done many times before.
And the error message said something about the flashscan not communicating (I checked all the cables of course and the cigar lighter fuse).
This is after it initially said re-flash failed. Help me... :(

Boost
May 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM
In my desperation I installed another PCM that is from a crashed '06 truck with a 5.3
It says "incorrect VIN". I suspect this is because the donor truck had a "T" motor, not a "Z" motor (flex-fuel). I am so screwed ! Any ideas?

Blacky
May 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I just locked up a PCM again. I have tuned this truck succesfully 5 times already, and I don't understand why this is happening.
For those that are browsing this forum, I have had amazing success with EFILive, and have tuned 15 vehicles with no problems and great results.
So it must be something that I am doing wrong.

After a failed calibration only reflash you can check the state of the PCM:

Turn on the vehicle's ignition, wait 20 seconds.
Connect the FlashScan cable to the vehicle but not to the PC.
On FlashScan V1: observe the orange OBD LED.
On FlashScan V2: observe the orange LED second from the right.

If the LED flashes at exactly 4 times per second always, the PCM is in deadpoll and is waiting to be reflashed. The vehicle will not start in this condition. You should attempt a cal-only reflash to recover.

Regards
Paul

Boost
May 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your response. I freak out way too much when stuff like this happens, but it's embarrasing when I immobilize a vehicle. The laptop has it's own batteries, I never power it from the vehicle (cigar lighter or auxilary outlet). The only connection to the vehicle is the OBDII port, I don't know if it draws from there since the Tech2 does get it power from there. Anyway, I will try to do what you said.

We put a new PCM in the vehicle, and tried to program it with the Tech 2. It fried the new PCM with normal GM programming !!!! This can mean only 2 things:

1) There is a problem with the truck - BUT it has no aftermarket stuff, and only the radio was changed since the last succesful flash.

2) There is a problem with the Tech2 (we've had problems with the CANDi modules sometimes which enable high speed communication). That would be a total co-incidence, being that the EFILive failed and then the regular GM programming as well.

It is more likely that one of the modules got "pissed off" the first time, and is now frying any new PCMs that are installed. (??)

We checked communication with all modules and everything seems normal except a BCM message (something about data link if I remember correctly).
We have had non-responsive PCMs before with the same message in the BCM. Could I have upset the BCM and it's now killing the PCM? Does this even make sense?

So in theory if I didn't wait long enough to write after I first turned on the ignition, and the modules were still waking up (active), and one of them (possibly a high speed one) got mad, is this possibly causing destroyed PCMs?

Because the only other logical answer would be a coincidence of the EFILive and the Tech2 freaking out at the same time.

(:help2: )

Thanks

Blacky
May 11th, 2007, 11:19 PM
We checked communication with all modules and everything seems normal except a BCM message (something about data link if I remember correctly).
We have had non-responsive PCMs before with the same message in the BCM. Could I have upset the BCM and it's now killing the PCM? Does this even make sense?
Is the BCM easy to get at? Can you unplug it while the reflash is taking place? It may be an intermittent comms fault in the BCM - that could interfere with a programming session.

Or better still remove the PCM and reflash it using a bench harness, see this doc for wiring/pinouts required for a bench harness:
http://download2.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Bench%20Harness%20Tutorial.pdf

If you were only performing a cal-only reflash with EFILive then the PCM should be recoverable once the problem is rectified.

Unfortunately when Tech2 reflashes it does a full flash, so if something fails (BCM shorting bus to ground for example) during the Tech2 reflash it is more likely to permanently kill a PCM.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
May 12th, 2007, 01:54 AM
1) There is a problem with the truck - BUT it has no aftermarket stuff, and only the radio was changed since the last succesful flash.

(:help2: )

Thanks

I would check out the new radio and wiring, as that is the only thing that was changed since the last flash. :nixweiss:

Boost
May 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Thank you all! With the information Paul provided we were able to diagnose the problem. Everything is back to normal and there is no damage. There was an aftermarket I-pod adapter in the vehicle, and the factory radio was from an '04. We were able to save all the PCMs and return them, and the truck is now running perfect.
Electricity is like math, just because we may not understand it, it is still logical and consistent. This was a great learning experience, although a bit nerve wrecking. As usual, the fault was not in EFILive, but due to aftermarket accesories.
Thanks a million for outstanding customer service and tech support !!!

RevGTO
May 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Glad things worked out for you! It sounded like a nightmare reading through it. Why would a different radio cause a reflash to fail? Is this to be expected?

joecar
May 12th, 2007, 06:12 AM
The radio connects to the serial comms bus, and either pulls it up or down, or never relinquishes it.

Chuck CoW
September 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hey guys... Let me tell you...I've had my share for empty stomach feelings when flashing cars....only to find that they don't start!:bawl:

Some were glitches, while some were burnt pcm's and upset/nervous customers standing by watching!! Standing over me while I sweat and try to keep calm with my best game face.....Hoping that my next attempt will let the car start...

"Sir, is there anyone that might be able to come to the shop tonight (usually midnight:help2: )..your car is not starting/responding for some strange reason... I promise to have it running tomorrow....

When playing this game....Always be prepared.... Have a TECH II handy or don't mess around with this stuff....Some bench harnesses, 20 spare pcm's for EVERY vehicle you work on, and ROSS AND PAUL'S E-MAIL ADDRESSES TATTOOED ON YOUR BRAIN....

REMEMBER: When you've just burnt (or think you've burnt) some customers PCM while tuning...it's usually between 10pm and midnight....KEEP IN MIND.....While we wish ROSS AND PAUL were in the states...It's great that they are over there cause usually they're just starting their day when I'm at the end of my day and the end of my wits!!

A quick "HELP I'M DYING" e-mail to either of them and a short bit later a response comes back that always manages to save the day!:master:

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!
Chuck CoW

Boost
September 10th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had outstanding tech support from EFILive, and have only "burnt" very few PCMs. You have to take precautions and think twice when flashing, that's for sure. But the more I learn the less problems I'm running into. And here at the dealership I have seen my share of burnt PCMs even during regular GM programming. Electronics are just sensitive.

Chuck CoW
September 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had outstanding tech support from EFILive, and have only "burnt" very few PCMs. You have to take precautions and think twice when flashing, that's for sure. But the more I learn the less problems I'm running into. And here at the dealership I have seen my share of burnt PCMs even during regular GM programming. Electronics are just sensitive.

Trust me....I haven't burnt a ton of them, however....the few that burnt certainly came at really....inconvenient times...

Thank god for EFI LIVE's customer support....

I'd be dead in the water without them!
Chuck CoW