PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of using 2003 pcm over 2002?

350SS
May 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I'm planning an LSx swap for my 98 Chevy truck and have the option of either using a 2002 or 2003 pcm for the swap (I have both pcms and wiring harnesses). I can configure either to work with a cable throttle body amongst other things that the swap requires, so is there any real advantage to using one over the other? There are a few minor wiring differences between the two and I have already done a swap using a 2002 setup in another vehicle so I have the wiring for that application already figured out. Is there any reason to go with the 2003 setup? :nixweiss:

350SS
May 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM
One thing that just came to mind is that the 2003 can also be configured for drive by wire if I decide to go that route someday for traction control reasons, although I believe some 2002 OS were DBW as well (Escalade, Vette, etc) though I plan on using a truck base file.

hquick
May 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
No idea Max...but I just went through that whole thread in your sig..That Chevelle is frieking awesome!
Oh, I'll be in Vegas in around 6 weeks....I'd like to catch up if possible.

Lextech
May 14th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hi Max, I believe the 2003 PCM is going to use a 58 tooth crank reluctor wheel. I am almost positive.

350SS
May 15th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Hey guys, you caught me ;)

The engine I'm planning on using is an '03 LQ4 motor which I'm pretty sure uses the 24x reluctor. I read this from LS1tech.com:

1997-2005: 24x crank, 2x cam
2006+: 58x crank, 4x cam
06 Corvette LS2/LS7 = 58X
06 GM crate engine = 58X
06 GTO and 06 Trailblazer SS LS2 are carryover 24X engines

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6458409&postcount=1

Jeff, did you ever get a hold of a reluctor wheel to work on the ignition thing?

Thanks for the compliment on the Chevelle Howard. I'm still working out some bugs on the car, just haven't had much time to work on it for the last few months but that should change with school being done for a while. Please hit me up when you head out here...by then hopefully my truck will be in a million pieces :rockon:

Lextech
May 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Max
Try and get last months ( I think ) GM High Tech Performance. The cover says Boost versus Juice, it has a lot of GM PCM info. I believe the 2003 PCMs are 1024 mb. Faster processing speed for the 58 tooth wheel, but I could be wrong.
Edit: I got a new 24 tooth wheel and have machined the front of the balancer so that the wheel will fit onto it. Saturday I took some pics of an LS1 on #1 TDC, so that I could see where the sensor aligns to the wheel. I also built a cam sensor out of a stock 500 Caddy dist and a Vortec dist. This will be going into my 54 Chevy P/U with the 500 Cad engine.

joecar
May 16th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Max
Try and get last months ( I think ) GM High Tech Performance. The cover says Boost versus Juice, it has a lot of GM PCM info. I believe the 2003 PCMs are 1024 mb. Faster processing speed for the 58 tooth wheel, but I could be wrong.
Edit: I got a new 24 tooth wheel and have machined the front of the balancer so that the wheel will fit onto it. Saturday I took some pics of an LS1 on #1 TDC, so that I could see where the sensor aligns to the wheel. I also built a cam sensor out of a stock 500 Caddy dist and a Vortec dist. This will be going into my 54 Chevy P/U with the 500 Cad engine.I would like to see, please. :cheers:

Lextech
May 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Joecar, I picked the pictures up today. The pics of the crank wheel are not clear enough to understand. I also made a drawing of the relation of the crank sensor to reluctor wheel. If you need it, PM me your E-Mail address and I will copy it and send it to you. That is the best I can do for now.

kbracing96
May 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Just wondering as I might have this issue coming up, but how do you convert a 03+ DBW TB to a cable TB? How do you wire and program it for TPS and air idle motor?

ChipsByAl
May 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Just wondering as I might have this issue coming up, but how do you convert a 03+ DBW TB to a cable TB? How do you wire and program it for TPS and air idle motor?

I can configure either to work with a cable throttle body ...

Has this been done? I have a couple to do and would prefer to use the PCM that the customer has versus backing up to the 2002 and earlier PCM. The files and stock vehicles that I have seen all have DBW setups. Has anyone seen a vehicle with the 1 meg PCM and a cable throttle body? If so do you have a file for it?
Al

Lextech
May 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Al,
At the Holden Crazy site there is an 06 Express Van file. Its description says it may help those converting from DBW to Cable. Maybe download that file and see if it points you in the right direction.

geoff
May 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Has anyone seen a vehicle with the 1 meg PCM and a cable throttle body? Al

Yes I have. Look at a 2004 GTO. They had a 1 MEG Box and a cable TB.

Geoff

ChipsByAl
May 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks Geoff, didn't think to look there.
Al