PDA

View Full Version : A little help please - almost there!

DaddySS
May 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks to all the help I have gotten here the tune and the car are better than they have been in a long time. Virtually no KR, virtually no bucking or surging, runs smooth and decelerates nicely, holds 800 RPM well and much less gas smell at idle.

So here's the last small issue - I get a very slight pop when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, and I get a very slight breaking up between 1600 and about 2200 rpm on light throttle. I have attached the tune and log files and would appreciate any feedback.

redhardsupra
May 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
i'd look at B5934,B5935,B5936, you seem to have VERY aggressive timing corrections for off throttle timing, that's why you see these huge dips to like 1* on decel.

DaddySS
May 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the insight. Those are the stock values, what afffect are they having on the 1600 5-10% throttle timing do you think?

SSpdDmon
May 19th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I just spent a few hours recently migrating my friend's '99 tune to an '02 OS. What that entailed was opening up two instances of EFI Live on my computer, opening up each table in both of those instances and copying from old to new. There were a few tables that were combined, a few tables that were no longer available, and a few tables that had transposed axis or different references in the rows/columns. For the tables that were transposed, there's a tool on the last tab (Conversions) of the calibration window (Ctrl+F2) that can help you with that. Just copy (with labels) the table in the old tune, click the Create New Table button, and then click the Transpose button. Just make sure the old table and new table reference the same columns/rows. I think there may be a ECT spark table that references MAP instead of cylinder mass. For situations like this, I used my best judgement as to how the table and the tables it interacts with both need to look. I believe the stock '02 was a little low when comparing it to the '99 table. There are also new tables that you should be looking at/taking notice of in the '02 tune as you go through (ie startup tables, rolling desired idle, etc.). Make sure these are set appropriately based on your application.

Once everything was copied over, I opened up a stock '02 file and put a few things back to '02 stock (like the fuel trim settings) based on what I liked better between the two.

SSpdDmon
May 19th, 2007, 03:17 AM
i'd look at B5934,B5935,B5936, you seem to have VERY aggressive timing corrections for off throttle timing, that's why you see these huge dips to like 1* on decel.
The 1* on decel is DFCO timing. That's perfectly normal.

Those are idle control settings. '02s had more aggressive timing corrections to help control idle. Personally, I don't like to see more than a 7* swing up or down in these tables. Also keep in mind....these are another example of tables that don't have the same axis. The '02 has more resolution here (0,13,25,37,50... vs 0,25,50). When copying tables, it's important to copy with labels and paste with labels. This will help prevent from copying data incorrectly.

These tables won't have an effect on part throttle performance though. They are only active (to the best of my knowledge) when the car has met the following criteria:

You've been below B0107 and B0108 for longer than B4506.

Being below B0107 might not be a necessary requirement. But, I'm not 100% on that one.

DaddySS
May 19th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I just spent a few hours recently migrating my friend's '99 tune to an '02 OS. What that entailed was opening up two instances of EFI Live on my computer, opening up each table in both of those instances and copying from old to new. There were a few tables that were combined, a few tables that were no longer available, and a few tables that had transposed axis or different references in the rows/columns. For the tables that were transposed, there's a tool on the last tab (Conversions) of the calibration window (Ctrl+F2) that can help you with that. Just copy (with labels) the table in the old tune, click the Create New Table button, and then click the Transpose button. Just make sure the old table and new table reference the same columns/rows. I think there may be a ECT spark table that references MAP instead of cylinder mass. For situations like this, I used my best judgement as to how the table and the tables it interacts with both need to look. I believe the stock '02 was a little low when comparing it to the '99 table. There are also new tables that you should be looking at/taking notice of in the '02 tune as you go through (ie startup tables, rolling desired idle, etc.). Make sure these are set appropriately based on your application.

Once everything was copied over, I opened up a stock '02 file and put a few things back to '02 stock (like the fuel trim settings) based on what I liked better between the two.

Thanks. I spent a good deal of time first comparing my old tune to stock and trying to be sure I knew what each table was about, then I copied the appropriate tables and values to the 02 file.

It's running so well in all other respects I hate to muck with it except ( I was hoping) to make some minor changes in that range to solve this minor issue. I am going to try bidi and add some timing in that area just to see what it does?

DaddySS
May 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Hmmm...hard to get a solid answer, I tried a little more advance and it seemed to be better, but it needs more evaluation. I have fly to Europe on business for the week, so I'll pick it up next weekend.