PDA

View Full Version : 98 to 02 PCM

shallow bay
May 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm currently in the middle of this swap and would like to start working on the tune. Today I was comparing my 98 tune to a 02 tune and noticed that many of the tables were different. Now do I have to migrate any table that is different from my tune to the later tune? Are there any tables that I can just leave alone? What about the tables that use different parameters in the columns/rows? For example, the {B5911} Spark IAT Table. In my 98 tune the column is in kPa while the 02 tune uses grams/cylinder. Any help is appreciated!

Doc
May 19th, 2007, 12:32 AM
What are your mods? If you are not heavily modded I would just start over with the new OS and redo the AutoVE, MAF, etc.

shallow bay
May 19th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't consider my car heavily modded. My mods include a lid, ported throttle body, LS6 intake manifold, LT headers, and true duals. So you are suggesting that I just start over with the new OS without changing any tables? I thought at the bare minimum I would need to change at least a few tables.

RevGTO
May 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Read this thread below and it you'll see the bare minimum tables and settings you'll need to change out. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5066 You can convert a table from imperial to metric and vice versa to give you the data you want so you can copy and paste it.

shallow bay
May 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. I actually started reading that thread the other day but stopped for some reason. I should have finished it because it answered just about all of the questions I had. My problem wasn't converting imperial to metric but going from kPa to grams/cylinder.

shallow bay
May 27th, 2007, 01:40 PM
It took a little longer then expected but I finally finished up the wiring. Here's what I plan to do next:

- Program PCM with 12212156 operating system and 02 calibration with a few tables migrated from my 98 tune

- Change VIN

- Validate PIDs

- Start it up and see if theres any DTCs

Does this look good or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Doc
May 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Looks good but I noticed that you didn't include swapping calibration segments??

shallow bay
May 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
- Program PCM with 12212156 operating system and 02 calibration with a few tables migrated from my 98 tune
Doc, is that what your talking about?

ChipsByAl
May 28th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Before you do the fuel tables it is necessary to change the segment first. Use 2002 Express Van 5.7 Litre Automatic L31 PCM 12212156 from http://www.holdencrazy.com/ and the tuning tool to convert the Camaro OS to have an output for your fuel gauge.
To do this, load the stock Camaro/Firebird file, then compare it with the Express file. Under "edit" use the "copy entire segment" function. After the segment is swapped, save the file as a new name. Load the original Camaro/Firebird file as the alternate and compare the Fuel system parameters and tables. Change everything back to what it was, it all matches the Express Van since you changed the segment. Now save the file and it will become your base file to start with.
Al

shallow bay
May 28th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Why does the Camaro OS not have an output for the fuel gauge? I think its time to go flash the OS/calibration and attempt to start the car. Here goes nothing.

shallow bay
May 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM
That didn't turn out so well. I couldn't connect to the PCM and received the following message:

"EFILive cannot communicate with the PCM.

Disconnect the Scan Tool if it is connected.

Please turn off the ignition, check all cables and connections, then turn the ignition back on and try"

I tried connecting several times but ended up with the same result. I noticed that when I turned the key to the on position, the fuel pump would not prime like it normally would. I could also hear clicking noises coming from the fuse boxes in the engine compartment. I turned the ignition off and started checking the fuses. I found that the PCM BAT fuse was blown. I had a couple extra fuses laying around so I decided to replace it. Right as I was pushing the fuse back into place, it blew again. So I disconnected the battery, removed the connectors from the PCM and checked all of my wiring again. Everything checked out and now I have no idea what to do next. Any ideas?

Doc
May 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM
The 98 does have a fuel output segment, it's just not one that the newer OS you are attempting to use can recognize hence the need for the segment swap that Al was talking about.

Now as for the blown fuses...only one thing causes that, a short. The fuses are doing their job, protecting the pcm etc. by throwing themselves in front of that freight train of current you have going directly to ground.

In your pin swap you pulled all the wires, labled them, and combed the wires for the new positions and re-inserted them? Please tell me you did not cut, and bandie things together.

shallow bay
May 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I did have to cut and extend some wires. I soldered and shrink wrapped most of them. Is this going to be a problem?

EDIT: After some searching, I found that unintentional shorts are usually caused when a wire's insulation breaks down. When soldering, the wires did become extremely hot and the insulation could of easily been damaged. I bet a couple of the extended wires have bad insulators and are either touching each other or the body. This would cause a short and blow a fuse. It sounds like I need to go back and find a different way to extend the wires. Does this sound like a legitimate explanation?

hquick
May 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Soldering and heatshrinking is a basic way to join wires.
You shouldn't need to get the wire very hot down into the insulation.
The wires should be just tinned separately and then reheated/melted together and then the heatshrink slid over them. Best is to ad some silicone under the heatshrink as well or use glue impregnated heatshrink to stop moisture. This is how I joinedsome wiring for my PCM swap.

Doc
May 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Yes, retrace your steps, I am sure you will find a wire or two shorting. Soldering wires is not necessarily a bad thing, with proper technique, you can get in and out fast. I just would want to work on technique with a project like this, given the age of the wires. That is why I recommend pulling all of the wires, marking where they came from and where they are going and re-grouping the blues and reds, combing, if you will, the "memory" of the wire having been in the engine compartment over the years.

shallow bay
May 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Well, everything is all straightened out now. I'm a complete idiot and we will leave it at that. After I flashed the new OS and calibration, the fuel gauge defaults to full. When using the "copy entire segment" function, I only selected fuel system. Is this correct?

ChipsByAl
May 30th, 2007, 06:24 AM
You are correct. Only copy the fuel segment. After that is complete, save the file and compare it against the stock camaro file. Don't worry about any differences other than the ones in the fuel system. Then match all the fuel system parameters and tables. Save that file as your begining file.
Al