PDA

View Full Version : Infared Thermometer

johnsZ06
May 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Does anyone use one of these for troubleshooting? Seems like it would be a handy tool to see if all cylinders are firing properly.

If you use one, what type? Accuracy? Temp Range?

:cheers:

joecar
May 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM
I have the $149 one from Sears.

It's hard to say if it helps... it doesn't seem to read the right temp off shiny/reflective surfaces
(like stainless headers or silver ceramic coated headers, or right next to each port on the heads)...
I read about 260F on each port of my headers... seems low...
but maybe that's just my handling of it...?

Works good on matt surfaces (engine/trans oil pan, diff. cover, tires, brake calipers, radiator, air compressor tank in my garage).

johnsZ06
May 22nd, 2007, 12:13 AM
I have the $149 one from Sears.

It's hard to say if it helps... it doesn't seem to read the right temp off shiny/reflective surfaces
(like stainless headers or silver ceramic coated headers, or right next to each port on the heads)...
I read about 260F on each port of my headers... seems low...
but maybe that's just my handling of it...?

Works good on matt surfaces (engine/trans oil pan, diff. cover, tires, brake calipers, radiator, air compressor tank in my garage).

Thanks for the reply. I was basically wanting one so I could point and shoot the exhaust hoping I could detect lean cylinders by excessive temps but if you're saying it doesn't work that good then perhaps I should reconsider. Hmmm...

I wonder if anyone makes clip on thermocouples that you could connect to a switch box and readout on a DMM? That would probably work pretty well.

Time to engage Mr Google! :D