PDA

View Full Version : First Time doing a AutoVe

Naf
May 21st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

Ok, i am a bit scared, normally i would take my car to the dyno and get a 90% tune and walk away. But i spent over 400$ for this tunin gizmo, and by george i want to use it and get a 95%-99% tune...

Ok i will have my hands on a CTS-v, and i will be changin out to the following:

LSx Intake manifold
90mm throttlebody
1.7 roller rocker arms
HSV Cam with .601 lift for IN and EX
Full length Headers and 3" dual exhaust system w/ resonator
CAI box
100mm Maf sensor
Lightened flywheel
LSx Fuel rail upgrade
42# injectors (if i notice injector duty greater then 80%@WOT)

My questions are
1. In the AutoVe it asks that i shut off the Maf sensor, is it possible to keep the maf on, but still find the new VE for the vehicle?
2. Do i need to shut off the CAT over heat protection?
3. Are there any precautions i should be aware of so i dont have any surprises?
4. Obviously a proper break in will take place and i will use regular motor grade till all the Valvetrain components have been installed, but is there a recommended not before X,XXXkm for tunin

Thank you for your time

Naf

joecar
May 22nd, 2007, 03:37 AM
Naf,

Hi there.

1. the MAF must be disabled otherwise it influences airmass; the AVE procedure dials in the VE table (read "airmass" table) based on logged wideband data, so all influences which aren't included in the commanded AFR must be disabled; see 2.

2. yes, Cat Over Temp must be disabled; it will be fine as long as you don't run excessively lean or rich (over rich is also bad on the cats, they glow orange/red hot, internal damage); you may feel more comfortable running with "test" pipes during your initial tuning (might be a good idea until the rings have seated, prevent any oil fouling of the cats); see 1.

3. the VE table must be increased sufficienty to avoid running lean (you want to avoid knock at all costs); also in the engine diagnostics section, some of the sanity tables may require to be increased (to avoid the reduced power DTC's).

4. I don't know... some builders claim ring seating occurs within the first 20 minutes so you have to beat on it hard, others claim you have to ease into it... it's all debatable and you will see many arguments.

While tuning, you keep an eye/ear on knock, coolant temps, oil pressure, etc... when something looks wrong, you back off and analyze/check what is happening.

Lets get further comments from others... :)

Joe

vatman02
May 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
just my .02 make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks and make double sure the intake is sealed up i suspect mine might be leaking

Naf
May 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
just my .02 make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks and make double sure the intake is sealed up i suspect mine might be leaking

Oh i got all that covered..I took my intake apart, and coated the original seal with Sealant then re-assembled it...So i get a perfect seal, and if need be i can still take it apart...

My cars are slowly but surely turnin into a Mack Truck...