PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista and EFI Live

Mach2
May 23rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Being new to this forum I just want to share my experience with EFI Live and Windows Vista. I currently run EFI on a Gateway Laptop (Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB memory) running Vista Premium. My first experience was the laptop would loose connection with the handheld about 40% of the time when switching applications (i.e. switching between the tuning program and the scan program). I found the following procedure works just about every time:

1. Start program.
2. Plug USB cable from handheld into laptop
3. Plug OBD II connector into vehicle.
4. Turn on ignition.
5. Use scan/tuning program.

If you need to switch between programs, I disconnect both the USB and OBD II cables and repeat this procedure.

Hope this helps others out. Welcome to the world of Windows Vista....

Spdfrk1990
June 5th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Damn this sucks I just bought efi live and im about to buy a new laptop and all they have now is vista. Has efi live updated anything to make it easier?

Spdfrk1990
June 5th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Also is this with the v2 or v1 would it be different for either?

Mach2
June 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I am using V2.

Chalky
June 6th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I understand Dell will sell you a system with either XP or Vista installed as OS's.

Tre-Cool
June 7th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Vista is a dog of an operating system, how anyone could call it an improvement is beyond me.

For a laptop, you want a operating system that has low cpu usage, hard disk writes etc so you can play for longer.

You'd be suprised how much longer a logging session will last if you can kill any unnecessary processes from running in xp as well. I can get an extra .5- 1hr on mine.

Spdfrk1990
June 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Vista is a dog of an operating system, how anyone could call it an improvement is beyond me.

For a laptop, you want a operating system that has low cpu usage, hard disk writes etc so you can play for longer.

You'd be suprised how much longer a logging session will last if you can kill any unnecessary processes from running in xp as well. I can get an extra .5- 1hr on mine.
I killed lots of stuff in vista and put everything on classic view it is much better now plus the laptop has a power saver mode which helps a lot. I might get a converter tho so I can plug it into the cig lighter.

2002_z28_six_speed
June 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Vista is ok if you optimize it. As Spdfrk1990 says with each power mode you can set indexing activity, max-min clock cycles, set low power modes on wifi/graphics card, and many more.

Put your computer into Power saver and its a totally different animal.

Mach2
June 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I bought a Gateway and did not have a choice at the time. Given my choice, I would rather have XP Pro.

Spdfrk1990
June 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Mine is working fine with Vista do you have the latest drivers and version of software?

Trippin
June 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Try launching EFILive by right clicking and selecting "run as administrator".