PDA

View Full Version : IAT measurement post S/C?

Lennart
May 28th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Has anyone done this or perhaps considered putting the IAT sensor behind the S/C or I/C, if equipped?

mistermike
May 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
That's the correct way of doing it. If you're reading IAT before you heat it up with a blower / turbo, etc., you're flying blind.

hquick
May 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM
My IAT sensor is right at the point where the air enters the inlet manifold. As provided by Whipple. A guy on another forum did try it at the other end (pre blower) and had all sorts of trouble tuning it.

Lennart
May 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM
On the truck I am tuning it is integrated into the MAF....right behind the air filter. I guess I need to find a better location.
I am not aware that Whipple had anything different planned on the Gen III truck kits.

Lennart
May 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM
My IAT sensor is right at the point where the air enters the inlet manifold. As provided by Whipple. A guy on another forum did try it at the other end (pre blower) and had all sorts of trouble tuning it.

Howard,

now the IAT you posted in one of your logs makes much more sense, too!
I was assuming that the IAT measurement on pretty much all GM vehicles was integrated into the MAF :master:

hquick
May 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Lennart....you had me concerned. Lol!

Lennart
May 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM
How is the IAT relocated on 99+ Vortec trucks?

hquick
May 30th, 2007, 07:21 AM
There is a loom you can buy Lennart.
It splits the Maf/Iat wiring and then you could install an IAT sensor from a truck like mine 97-98.

ChipsByAl
May 30th, 2007, 07:34 AM
If you don't mind cutting your MAF harness, locate the black and tan wires in pinouts A and B. These go to the IAT sensor. Add enough wire to the harness side to reach where you have relocated the IAT sensor. For an IAT sensor that you can screw into a pipe, the 94-97 F-car LT1 sensor can easily be threaded with an appropriate die and then fastened into the blower discharge or inlet pipe to your throttle body.

Lennart
May 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I knew this was going to happen....just today I finally received the 2bar MAP sensor after waitung several weeks for the package to arrive and now you are telling me I need an IAT sensor....will put it on the lift for the next order.

hquick
May 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM
You can do what Al suggested or you can buy a loom which plugs into your 5 pin socket and splits into two plugs. A 3 pin for the MAF and a 2 pin for the IAT....if you really don't want to cut any wiring.

joecar
May 31st, 2007, 02:22 AM
Another possibility is to use a Metri-Pack pick to remove the terminals from the 5-pin plug and reinsert them into two separate plugs.

Lennart
May 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Another possibility is to use a Metri-Pack pick to remove the terminals from the 5-pin plug and reinsert them into two separate plugs.
Since I am running MAFless right now anyway, this might be the way to go.

I had the idea of puttin the IAT sensor where the EGR tube used to be. Right now that hole is plugged with a billet cover I made, so that is the easiest way to tap into the intake on the pressure side.
Anyone know how that sensor is scaled?

hquick
May 31st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Check the COS tutorial.
C6301 needs to be set top 190 for 2 bar or 288 for 3 bar

Lennart
May 31st, 2007, 06:18 PM
Check the COS tutorial.
C6301 needs to be set top 190 for 2 bar or 288 for 3 bar
Thanks for the info, did the swap yesterday...need to go for a test drive to correct BEN's !

Lennart
May 31st, 2007, 10:26 PM
I found this IAT sensor from Delphi...that should work, right?!
The temp vs. resistance meets what I found in the SI2000.

91_bowtie
June 30th, 2007, 02:47 PM
On the truck I am tuning it is integrated into the MAF....right behind the air filter. I guess I need to find a better location.
I am not aware that Whipple had anything different planned on the Gen III truck kits.

I don't think whipple relocates the IAT, at least they didn't on my kit. Here's my sensor, relocated in the intake hat. The rubber grommet is necessary to isolate it from the metal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/four_under/DSCN3428.jpg

IAT Sensor pn... 12160244
Grommet pn... 24504388

joecar
June 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
91_bowtie, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

91_bowtie
June 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM
91_bowtie, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

thanks

I've been reading alot, but I finally had something to share. :rockon: