PDA

View Full Version : Can not get new V2 to license my tranny

slopokegtp
June 1st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Ok, just got my V2 yesterday and have been reading this forum for several months now but, for the life of me I can not get the V2 to license my vettes tranny.
I told it to perform a full flash. It asked me to license the unit to my VIN which I did. At first it would not communicate with the pcm till i pulled the cables to the V2 and it rebooted. Now only my Vehice shows not the transmission. Flash was complete but, a quick scan showed none of the tranny changes took place.
If I missed something simple I am sorry but, I honestly searched for over an hour before asking.
Thanks in advance,
-Chris

slopokegtp
June 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
Don't know if it makes a difference or not but, I have an 02 A4 with 3.15's just dropped in a new 04 LS6:Eyecrazy:

joecar
June 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
Can you copy/paste the message log...

slopokegtp
June 1st, 2007, 01:11 PM
There is no log
Just flashes with no errors and the tranny stuff is not touched and my v2 says that both trannys are still available:help2:

kbracing96
June 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe I don't know enough about vetts, but doesn't an 02 have the trany control built in with the ecm? In that case you wouldn't have to be licensing a separate trans controller, just the ecm.

joecar
June 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
kb's right... eng+trans integrated in single ECM...

slo, when you look at your tune, does the navigation tree show transmission calibrations...?

Blacky
June 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
You won't use up a trans license when tuning your C5 as the engine and trans are controlled by the PCM. There is no separate trans controller so there is no requirement to use a license for it.

Regards
Paul

slopokegtp
June 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM
thanks everyone for the input. Before I flash the unit I can see the tranny parameters I have changed. All the shift points, tire size etc. They are saved in the tune, I flash everything looks fine however after the reboot I pull down the ecm configurations and there they are. The stock transmission settings.

"kb's right... eng+trans integrated in single ECM...

slo, when you look at your tune, does the navigation tree show transmission calibrations...?"
Yup, they are there just the initial values.

joecar
June 2nd, 2007, 04:43 AM
You edit the tune, save the file, flash "cal only", press "Start" in the popup, shows the progress bar, when it says to you turn off ignition key for 15+ seconds... you did like that, right...?

When you read back the tune into a different file and do a compare, are any differences shown...?

Please post both files (pre- and post- flash).

slopokegtp
June 2nd, 2007, 05:26 AM
I never did just a cal only. I did a full flash and left the car off for 60 seconds. The engine cals took fine but, tranny was untouched. I will try a cal flash only and report back.
Thanks for all your help.
-Chris

slopokegtp
June 2nd, 2007, 05:43 AM
Well, thank you all very much. Just flashing the PCM Cal worked like a charm and in only 30 seconds. I flashed the car 4 times fully OS and Cal and it never took.
Thanks again everyone for your help.
Take care,
-Chris

kbracing96
June 2nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
FYI, Cal only flashes are much safer and generally all you need to do unless your changing OS's. ;) Plus there quicker :D

ScarabEpic22
June 2nd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Yep, especially for the LL8s because we cant do anything but cal flashes!!! They take 19-20 seconds! Longest part is waiting the 15 seconds after the flash for the bootloader to go away (thats why you have to wait, right?).

Chevy366
June 2nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
Yep, especially for the LL8s because we cant do anything but cal flashes!!! They take 19-20 seconds! Longest part is waiting the 15 seconds after the flash for the bootloader to go away (thats why you have to wait, right?).
I've been meaning to ask that as well , why do you have to wait 15 seconds after a flash ?

joecar
June 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
The PCM has to have enough time to reboot itself.

ScarabEpic22
June 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
The PCM has to have enough time to reboot itself.
So does that mean when the countdown has started I can begin to disconnect FS cables and get ready to go? Now I just leave everything connected, but usually Im flashing right before I need to go for a drive and want to leave asap.

Blacky
June 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Well, thank you all very much. Just flashing the PCM Cal worked like a charm and in only 30 seconds. I flashed the car 4 times fully OS and Cal and it never took.
Thanks again everyone for your help.
Take care,
-Chris
It's impossible for the reflash process to "not take". It will either fail or complete successfully. It cannot just reflash the engine segment and not the trans segment of the controller. The checksums would be wrong and the PCM would go into deadpoll mode.

Sure you didn't click on the [Test] button instead of the [Program] button?

As for the 15-30 second countdown, that is required for the PCM to acquiesce and to enter into a "shutdown" mode - similar to a PC going into sleep mode. That is required because...

The PCM has a very small amount of RAM. That RAM is used by the PCM to hold and compute data while the PCM is controlling the vehicle. When a reflash (or read) is performed, FlashScan sends a "bootloader" program to the PCM and the PCM stores it in RAM, overwriting all the runtime information that the PCM has been using to control the vehicle. Only a reboot of the PCM will cause that bootloader program to be cleared out of memory and for the RAM to be reinitialised with the correct data structures and values necessary to operate the powertrain.

If you attempt to re-start the vehicle before the PCM has completely shutdown and rebooted, then chances are the engine will not start because the RAM data still contains the bootloader program.

Note: removing power from the PCM will reboot the PCM cleanly - similar to a power off restart of your PC. However, it is not recommended to remove power from the PCM if a failed full-flash has occurred. In such cases, please attampt every other option to recover the PCM BEFORE removing power from the PCM.

Regards
Paul

joecar
June 2nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
So does that mean when the countdown has started I can begin to disconnect FS cables and get ready to go? Now I just leave everything connected, but usually Im flashing right before I need to go for a drive and want to leave asap.Yes, you can remove the cables during the 15+ second count down (with ignition key off).

ScarabEpic22
June 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys. I figured it was the bootloader stuff. :)