PDA

View Full Version : tuning a 98 z28 pcm

WiseGuyZ06
June 2nd, 2007, 06:02 AM
I already used 1 license for my 2001 vette pcm, If I help a buddy out tuning his car will it use my 2nd license up on my v1.2 cable???

kbracing96
June 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Not if his car is a 98 it shouldn't. 98's are FREE :)

WiseGuyZ06
June 2nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Not if his car is a 98 it shouldn't. 98's are FREE :)

Yeah thats what I was told... why are they free... so that means I can tune any 98 pcm'ed car??

also I have an auto conversion 01 z06, my previous tuner put a 01 camaro auto trans os system in my car to handle the auto trans tables... all done by him with hp-tuners

my question is are we able to just change the vin and run any year os that we want, like he did with mine???

kbracing96
June 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Yeah thats what I was told... why are they free... so that means I can tune any 98 pcm'ed car??

also I have an auto conversion 01 z06, my previous tuner put a 01 camaro auto trans os system in my car to handle the auto trans tables... all done by him with hp-tuners

my question is are we able to just change the vin and run any year os that we want, like he did with mine???

98 are free cuz they are there own special PCM and when EFILive started to develop the software to tune them, it took quite a bit longer then expected, so they decided to make tuning all 98 (97 vetts too) free to make up for it. :)

Yes, you can flash different year OS's into compatible PCMs. You can also do segment only conversions for instances like your's where you put an auto into a manual car.

Blacky
June 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
98 are free cuz they are there own special PCM and when EFILive started to develop the software to tune them, it took quite a bit longer then expected, so they decided to make tuning all 98 (97 vetts too) free to make up for it. :)

Just to add to what kb said: Way back, we made a deal with the EFILive user-community that if everyone helped us build support for the 97/98's we would make the VIN licenses for them free. Well it did take a lot longer than we expected because we got way less help from the user-community than we needed and we ended up developing most of it in house with the help of a couple of dedicated guys. But we stuck to our original promise and kept the 97/98's free.

Regards
Paul

WiseGuyZ06
June 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
cool thanks guys... I data loged my friends car.... but havent started to tune it yet...

WiseGuyZ06
June 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM

Yes, you can flash different year OS's into compatible PCMs. You can also do segment only conversions for instances like your's where you put an auto into a manual car.

could u kinda give me a step by step on how my old tuner could have done the segmented tune.. He took the os out of a 2001 camaro.. so now I have a 2001 camaro os system... I know cause i looked at the os #

kbracing96
June 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
could u kinda give me a step by step on how my old tuner could have done the segmented tune.. He took the os out of a 2001 camaro.. so now I have a 2001 camaro os system... I know cause i looked at the os #

I haven't actually done it myself, but from what I understand, you need to find a tune for an auto that's the same os as your tune. Then load your tune and the auto tune as a comparison. Then under the edit tab at the top of the screen you open the copy segment part and choose which segment to copy and then copy that segment from the compared tune and then past the segment into your current tune. That should copy all the files from that segment to your tune. That's my understanding of it anyway.

SSpdDmon
June 3rd, 2007, 04:28 AM
I haven't actually done it myself, but from what I understand, you need to find a tune for an auto that's the same os as your tune. Then load your tune and the auto tune as a comparison. Then under the edit tab at the top of the screen you open the copy segment part and choose which segment to copy and then copy that segment from the compared tune and then past the segment into your current tune. That should copy all the files from that segment to your tune. That's my understanding of it anyway.
That's correct. Load your tune, load a tune with the info you want in the background with the compare feature, then click "Edit">"Copy entire segment" and pick the segment(s) you want to copy. :D

WiseGuyZ06
June 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
That's correct. Load your tune, load a tune with the info you want in the background with the compare feature, then click "Edit">"Copy entire segment" and pick the segment(s) you want to copy. :D

wassup..............????:notacrook: :)

Doc
June 4th, 2007, 04:01 AM
... all done by him with hp-tuners

This might be a problem, that is trying to do anything with the tune over what has already been done in HPT. You might just want to start over.

hquick
June 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Can someone clarify this for me?
Does the 'free tuning' mean ALL 98's. I'm referring specifically to the 'black box' style PCM's in the 97-98 Vortec trucks.

kbracing96
June 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM
It includes all LS1 Y/F-body 97/98 pcm's, no vortecs.

hquick
June 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks KB