PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure pid

wadesns
June 2nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
Is there an oil pressure pid or am i missing it? I see one for engine oil life but not oil pressure. If there isn't one how do you go about creating a custom pid for a specific sensor that isn't supported?

..RJ..

kbracing96
June 2nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
I don't believe the PCM monitors oil pressure, it goes strait from the sending unit to the dash cluster.

wadesns
June 2nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
I think that the pcm uses the info from the oil sending unit in it calibrations at some point in time due to the B1501 calibration. Also not that it really pertains to efi live but you can monitor it on a snap-on modis and it is an option in hptuners

11sprocket
June 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
Maybe it's not available on all controllers, but I have a 'GM.ENGOILP' PID in the 'Conditions' section. Is that what you're looking for?

kbracing96
June 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Humm... Maybe it's just not broadcasting in all PCMs. I know my Interceptor Scangauge has a oil pressure gauge, but it doesn't read anything on my truck:nixweiss:

Blacky
June 2nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Is there an oil pressure pid or am i missing it? I see one for engine oil life but not oil pressure. If there isn't one how do you go about creating a custom pid for a specific sensor that isn't supported?

..RJ..

If you're refering to an LS1...

Some LS1's PCMs support the oil pressure PID some don't. The Covettes and Commodores do have it, the Camaro/TA does not. Their oil pressure sender goes direct to the cluster and not via the PCM.

Regards
Paul

wadesns
June 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Yes it is on a 00 f-body(LS1) So does that mean that the B1501 calibration is not valid even thogh it is an option in the tune? Also what exactly happens when the pcm flags the low oil pressure if the pressure is lower then the chosen pressure for the time in B1502?

..RJ..

joecar
June 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
On F-body, oil pressure sender drives the gauge directly...

See attached diagram (B is switched power, A is ground)...

wadesns
June 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
It isn't that i doubt that it runs from the guage directly to the sending unit. My confusion is why is there a calibration in the 2000 model OS that is dependent on a oil pressure that doesn't run through the pcm? If it goes directly to the Instrument cluster then how is the pressure determined? Also what exactly happens if the pcm sees a pressure lower then the calibration?

Blacky
June 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
It isn't that i doubt that it runs from the guage directly to the sending unit. My confusion is why is there a calibration in the 2000 model OS that is dependent on a oil pressure that doesn't run through the pcm? If it goes directly to the Instrument cluster then how is the pressure determined? Also what exactly happens if the pcm sees a pressure lower then the calibration?

The oil pressure based calibrations show up because the same PCM and same operating system is used on vehicles with and without oil pressure data input.

On vehicles such as the F-body that have no oil pressure input, the PCM will use either a default oil pressure value (that is always in range), or the test results based on those calibrations will be ignored completely.

Regards
Paul

oztracktuning
November 5th, 2007, 12:10 AM
On my installation of the latest EFI Build - i cant find my old oil pressure logging pid anyway. Has it been deleted or is there something wrong with my installation.

macca_779
November 6th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Same here Steve. I was looking for ages for it. I've found GM.ENGOILP just then but haven't hooked the V2 up to my PCM to see if it validates yet.

macca_779
December 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Just remembered about this thread and I can confirm with Steve that the old LS1 oil pressure pid is missing.. any info on this guys

Blacky
December 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
It will be back in the next update - sorry my mistake.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
December 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
The issue was when we first released EFILive it was only intended for the GenIII motor. The Oil pressure PID is actually the oil pressure sender voltage, what we did was scale that to display a real psi number. Worked good until you log many other platforms (such as the Duramax) where the scaling is different, so you end up getting lots of support Emails saying they have 10psi of oil pressure at WOT!.
We need to add in the scaling for the GenIII as a calculated PID based on the voltage from that PID.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
December 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
That is all correct and is exactly what we will do.

However, I just checked and the GM.EOPS PID is now completely missing. It was a mistake I made when trying to automate the conversion from the old PID GM.EOP and the new PID GM.EOPS in the Scan Tool software.

I'll fix the bug in the next update and provide default scaling details for a calculated PID so you can log the oil pressure in kPa and/or psi.

Regards
Paul

02Z06
December 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM
That is all correct and is exactly what we will do.

However, I just checked and the GM.EOPS PID is now completely missing. It was a mistake I made when trying to automate the conversion from the old PID GM.EOP and the new PID GM.EOPS in the Scan Tool software.

I'll fix the bug in the next update and provide default scaling details for a calculated PID so you can log the oil pressure in kPa and/or psi.

Regards
PaulPaul, when you update again would it be possible to add the FAN_COMM PID in the E38?

Blacky
December 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Paul, when you update again would it be possible to add the FAN_COMM PID in the E38?

Have you tried GM.FANPWMDC?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
December 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Paul, when you update again would it be possible to add the FAN_COMM PID in the E38?

Just out of curiosity, GM.FAN_COMM shows as valid for the E38, why do you ask for it to be added?

Regards
Paul

02Z06
December 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, GM.FAN_COMM shows as valid for the E38, why do you ask for it to be added?

Regards
PaulHi Paul, I looked in Hapi/E38 PID Descriptions and did not see either GM.FAN_COMM or GM.FANPWMDC listed. In the scan tool GM.FAN_COMM is shown but I cannot find GM.FANPWMDC. I did not try to edit the Options.ini file since I could not find it in the E38 text -descriptions.

Blacky
December 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Hi Paul, I looked in Hapi/E38 PID Descriptions and did not see either GM.FAN_COMM or GM.FANPWMDC listed. In the scan tool GM.FAN_COMM is shown but I cannot find GM.FANPWMDC. I did not try to edit the Options.ini file since I could not find it in the E38 text -descriptions.

Ahh, I didn't realize you meant for the BBL beta software. I execpt to release a BBL beta update before the weekend. I'll get as many PIDs entered as I can before then.

Regards
Paul

macca_779
December 14th, 2007, 02:27 AM
The issue was when we first released EFILive it was only intended for the GenIII motor. The Oil pressure PID is actually the oil pressure sender voltage, what we did was scale that to display a real psi number. Worked good until you log many other platforms (such as the Duramax) where the scaling is different, so you end up getting lots of support Emails saying they have 10psi of oil pressure at WOT!.
We need to add in the scaling for the GenIII as a calculated PID based on the voltage from that PID.

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks Paul and Ross.