PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down IAC ?

slowhawk
June 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
I've run into this problem a few times. How can I slow down the reaction of the IAC motor? Got a recent 98 402ci A4 car and it idles great with the IAC unplugged but when you plug it in the friggin rpm surges 1000rpm by the IAC opening/closing almost 100 points.

The IAC is in good working order.

SSpdDmon
June 3rd, 2007, 04:25 AM
You need to play with the direct airflow correction and learned airflow correction tables (under Idle>Learning). I have my direct zero'd out for the 0-20-40rpm rows and my learning zero'd out for the 0-20rpm rows. A picture can be seen in the idle sticky in the tutorial section (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4661). There's not much your going to be able to do with the delay timers as with the pre-'01 cars, they are combined.

The other thing you should look for is timing. What do your spark error tables look like (Spark>Idle)? Does the underspeed only add timing in for the first few hundred rpm and then drop off? Just like the IAC/airflow, timing can increase & decrease the speed of an engine and therefore be a culprit for surging. Keeping idle timing within +/- 7 degrees is what I like personally. The stock error tables get a little spark happy IMO.

slowhawk
June 3rd, 2007, 05:04 AM
You need to play with the direct airflow correction and learned airflow correction tables (under Idle>Learning). I have my direct zero'd out for the 0-20-40rpm rows and my learning zero'd out for the 0-20rpm rows. A picture can be seen in the idle sticky in the tutorial section (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4661). There's not much your going to be able to do with the delay timers as with the pre-'01 cars, they are combined.

The other thing you should look for is timing. What do your spark error tables look like (Spark>Idle)? Does the underspeed only add timing in for the first few hundred rpm and then drop off? Just like the IAC/airflow, timing can increase & decrease the speed of an engine and therefore be a culprit for surging. Keeping idle timing within +/- 7 degrees is what I like personally. The stock error tables get a little spark happy IMO.

Thanks.

I've found that adjusting the spark correction can actually make the idle alot better.Sometimes I have a swing of 12 degree's.We have cars with 240 Cams idling at 700rpm cleanly doing this. -Mostly for stock converter setups.