PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Pontiac GTO - Shiftlight Calibration

highperf
May 22nd, 2005, 04:36 AM
Does anyone know if the Shiftlight calibration has any effect on a 2004 Pontiac GTO? There is a light in the gauge cluster but... but I have heard that the cluster is disabling it.

Has anyone had any experience trying this? I was just going to change it but I don't make habit of experimenting before I at least ask.

dbaxter_ss
May 22nd, 2005, 04:40 AM
Which one, the cags shift light?

highperf
May 22nd, 2005, 04:42 AM
No the calibration identifies an RPM dependent Shiftlight.

mistermike
May 22nd, 2005, 05:51 AM
You have to hack the gauge cluster independently of the ECM. Check in on LS1GTO.com if you haven't already.

highperf
May 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Hey mistermike ! Didn't know you were an EFILive'r.

So then this PCM Engine calibration does nothing......

wait4me
May 22nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
you need to use sps holden version, and then update the dash with the holden program,

GMPX
May 22nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Thing to remember is the cluster in the GTO is not on the Class2 bus, you need an old ALDL 8192baud adaptor.......or as you say Jesee, Tech2 and Holden TIS/SPS.

Cheers,
Ross

highperf
May 22nd, 2005, 11:40 PM
Sounds like I would need to swap out the cluster and replace with a Holden ? correct

Seems like I'd be headed for a big effort with trouble... I'd be up for it if reasonable effort

better than hacking the cluster thats in it.

mistermike
May 23rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Perhaps hacking was too strong a word. It simply needs to be reprogrammed. The gentleman who does it can also program a custom greeting and substitute a Holden or HSV logo for the Pontiac one as well as putting hot and cold RPM points wherever you like.

GMPX
May 23rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
I can do this for you guys, one problem, it takes along time for the cluster to get to Aus and back!!.

Cheers,
Ross

P.S - No, it won't be available in EFILive :cry:

mistermike
May 23rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
P.S - No, it won't be available in EFILive :cry:
Ahh, yes. That's a dangerous place to be. Fortunately, the fellow doing it stateside is an honest chap.

highperf
May 24th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Mistermike is right, the gentlemen that is doing it stateside is a good fair guy.

Basically, yes it is a dangerous place to be and I am hung up on poping out my cluster... mailing it, making a road trip or having somone make a road trip ... plugging into it (laptop or other) and flashing a new or additional program into it.

regardless stateside or offshore....

Particularly when I can't control it myself... now if someone were to include the binary executable that did the upgrade and provided a backout... I may have a completely different opinion.

mistermike
May 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM
You probably won't find the handful of folks capable of programming clusters being terribly open regarding the nuts and bolts details, due to the risk of an unscrupulous individual using that information to alter the odometer. That's why I referred to including that type of capability in a tuner package as a risky proposition.
AFAIK, there have been no complaints from anyone for whom he's activated their shiftlight. He'll be going to Philly shortly, so the road trip might not be too bad for an east coaster. Cost wise, there are a couple of very nice aftermarket shift lights that are an attractive alternative if you don't care about having HSV logos or your parakeet's name appear on your DIC.