PDA

View Full Version : I'm a noob help!!

grump768
June 28th, 2004, 08:46 AM
I just got the Autotap with EFILive 6 Pro, and wanted to jump head first into tuning my car. I tried to read through the documentation and only understand about half of it. Is there any biginners guid or help files that can help out?

Main reason for my question is that I installed LT headers and Catback as well as LS6 Instake and new BBK TB, and find my MPG has dropped significantly, I can only think that the car is running rich. Any help would be apreciated.

emarkay
June 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM
With a new intake and a larger throttle body (why didn't you recam it to take advantage of the better breathing, too?), you may need to have the PCM reflashed to take advantage of the added capacity of the engine - the stock tune will be OK, but having the fuel and spark maps "tweaked" will help.

However, as for your MPG problem, do you have any OBDII codes set, or any obvious maladies or maintenance issues - (your tires aren't low on air for example) Also, you aren't "leadfooting" it more to "demonstrate" the new intake/exhaust setup??? :)

How much change in MPG - what was the baseline?

If you are "running rich" your HO2S would automatically compensate and lean it out, or you'd throw a few codes. Considering you have added air and NOT changed the injectors or the PCM tune, I'd suspect a lean condition, but again the PCM should compensate (up to a point) to try to get it to stoich as needed.

As for tutorials or help files, what's in the manual should be more than adequate - maybe you need more information on the LS1 ECM system and/or OBDII and EFI systems? Most 1996 and up cars are rather standardized on these areas, so try "Googling" those terms and see what you get.

II have some links on my page (see sig) but most are beyond DIY level - but do get good at Googling - it's friggen awesome what you can find with it!

Take care and have fun!!

MRK

grump768
June 29th, 2004, 12:27 AM
As for the Cam it was my next step in my cars evolusion and will be ordering it shortly. :D What does reflashing the PCM do just reset the fuel and spark maps? sorry for the stupid questions, I am trying to learn as I go.

The last time I looked the only code the car was throwing was when I removed the EGR tubes and pump, mainenace wise evrything is fine and my foot has been as leaded at it always has been since I got the car :twisted:

I did forget to mention that I did install new 36lb injectors when I installed the intake and TB, the only reason I did that was because I already had the fuel rails off and thought it would be a good time to do it. Would the fuel injectors cause the car tol run rich? my understanding was, and I might be wrong, putting in bigger injectors into the car does not give it more fuel it just has the ability to since everything is controlled by the PCM!

The only PCM tune I have done was to raise the speed and RPM limiter as well as adjust rear gear ratio with power programmer but I did not install the PP tune.

Last night I read through all the documentation again and it is starting to make more sence, it was just a little overwhelming at first.

Steve

emarkay
June 29th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Didja know that the EGR on most (if not all) OBDII cars is a GOOD THING? - it allows for advanced timing and better economy, since the PCM can be tailored to use the cooler charge... and it keeps the NOX down. See the excelent article in the June 2004 issue of Motor Age and the interesting letter by Al Cline of GM Powertrain in the August 2004 issue of Car Craft.

HOW was your PCM changed - LS1EDIT, Hypertech, Predator??????

Remember GM spend 5 years and millions of $$ to get the LS1 optimized. Adding all kinds of "stuff" to the engine and then expecting the stock PCM to compensate is just not practical. There are SOOO MANY variables in engine management issues pertaining to the PCM, that I'd suggest getting a professional to do your initial tune and then work from that, IMHO.

This is one area that "learning by doing" (PCM tuning) especially with multiple and large changes from the baseline, can be a bad thing - as in melted pistons or other non-fun things...

grump768
June 29th, 2004, 02:28 AM
The PCM was changed with Hypertech PP.

I was under the impresion that the EGR just recycles exhaust gas into the combustion chamber increasing the combustion temp to decrease exhaust gas and increase economy.

Think I just answered my own questions..lol. But I am not understanding why GM removed on 01 and 02 models if it is so benificial? Should I put the EGR back on??

Anyway, thanks for all the great info. I will porbably take your advice and get it tuned by a pro.

SinisterSS
June 29th, 2004, 08:26 AM
EGR is a good thing as mentioned previously.

The reason the EGR system was removed on later models is the camshaft profile has more overlap between the intake and exhaust sides. What occurs during overlap is the exhaust valve is open while the intake valve is open which allows exhaust gas to be sucked in through the currently open intake valve. Essentially free EGR without all the valves, solenoids, vacuum lines, ports, etc.

Recommend putting the EGR back on or run a '02+ LS6 spec camshaft.

joecar
July 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I just got the Autotap with EFILive 6 Pro, and wanted to jump head first into tuning my car. I tried to read through the documentation and only understand about half of it. Is there any biginners guid or help files that can help out?

If you want general explanations of how EFI system conceptually work, goto places such as www.carcraft.com and search for EFI and LS1;

If you want specific details on how the LS1 PCM works, goto http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf

As for EFILive, you'll have to take the time to reread the help document and play with the software.

Regards
Joe
:)

grump768
July 20th, 2004, 01:46 AM
I have been playing around with the software and am learning allot more everyday. Thanks for all the great help. I am still looking for someone in my area to tune my car and am having a hard time finding anybody. I also have a new cam on order 228/228 with 112 lsa with new springs, retainer and locks. :lol:

The more and more I read through the forum, the more disappointed I get that I have a 98 that has a PCM that is such a bastard child. I really hope they are able to work something in for the 98's on the new flash tool.

I do have another question, which I need to post regarding my 02 sensors I checked the trouble codes since and found more codes on the 02’s. One is on sensor 2 bank 1 and the other is on sensor 1 bank 2. Wondering if they have gone bad, I am getting P0141 and P0155.