PDA

View Full Version : Error Message

TNRGreene
June 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I've searched & read about vista but I can't see where it would pertain to me.
Here's the story: Thanks in advance

I have installed EFI on a new laptop and this is the error message I received.

Error code: ERR_FILE/90

File: C:\Users\TNRGreene\Documents\EFILiveV742_524_657_6 45_57[1]\Configuration\vin.ini The system cannot find the file specified. Win32 error: 2.

It comes up on both the scan tool and tune tool when I try to open either. The new laptop has Windows Vista. I have not even tried to hook it up to the truck yet.

joecar
June 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
The folder pathname looks wrong...

Either you installed "incorrectly" or you're running from inside of a downloaded compressed/zipped folder...

If you installed incorrectly, start at step 1, otherwise do step 4:
1. uninstall the software;
2. download the .exe from www.efilive.com/downloads (http://www.efilive.com/downloads) and and execute it;
3. during installation, use the default folder location, don't change it;
4. download the .zip from showthread.php?p=48670#post48670 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=48670#post48670) and copy the files as follows:
Unzip the contents of the downloaded file into
\Program Files\EFILive\V7, overwriting any existing files with the same name.

Copy the contents of the unzipped Images folder to
\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Images

joecar
June 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM
TNRGreene... and welcome to the forum. :cheers:

TNRGreene
June 13th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome but I've been here awhile. I just never have anything good to add so I just read alot :D
I'll try the uninstall & redo

TNRGreene
June 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I followed he directions & keep getting the same thing. Now you see why on other boards I'm the "EFILive Retard"
Gave it to my son who is fairly good with computers & he got the same thing.

joecar
June 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Check the following:
- The folder C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7 and it's subfolders exist...?
- In the folder C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration the file vin.ini exists...?
- When installing, do you have sufficient privileges (as required by Vista)...?

Tordne
June 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I've not personally encountered a problem installing any of the drivers from around the Oct 2006 timeframe.

- Is your user accout an Administrator on the local machine? If not this could be a problem.
- Is it a work laptop where they might have limited the access to the machine with policy etc?

Blacky
June 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
To try and help you trouble-shoot the problem/cause....

EFILive will attempt to locate the configuration files (including vin.ini) in the folders listed in the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7\Properties\D ir

Check out what those folders are set to by running regedit. To do that, click the Vista start button, enter regedit into the "Start Search" box immediately above the start button, then press enter.

Navigate to the key I mentioned above and check out the folder names listed under each of the keys. Make sure those folders exist.

If they don't, (make sure you have exited from all EFILive software first) then delete the entire V7 branch, then restart the EFILive Scan Tool software - it will recreated the registry entries.

Note: The vin.ini file is found (or should be found) in the folder defined by the "Configuration" key. Vin.ini is the first file that EFILive attempts to open so it is the one that will be reported as missing when/if the registry keys point to folders that are incorrect or do not exist.

Regards
Paul