PDA

View Full Version : Wearing out the eeprom?

Spdfrk1990
June 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Can you flash too many times then and actually wear it out. I worry about that and will try not to flash too often unless im making a lot of changes. Am I safe as long as I try to stay under a certain number?

SSpdDmon
June 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I don't think that's a legitimate concern. I think you'd have to flash the PCM every day for 4 years before you'd have to start to worry.

Spdfrk1990
June 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Cool thanks. Also after you flash it tells you to turn the ignition off and it counts down b4 you can turn it back on. Well the first time I went to flash I forgot to tie the license in with it so it came up asking me if i wanted to use 1 of my license. I click ok and it started counting down without a warning b4 I could turn the key off. well I turned it off asap b4 it got counted down but just wondering what that is all about?

Blacky
June 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Cool thanks. Also after you flash it tells you to turn the ignition off and it counts down b4 you can turn it back on. Well the first time I went to flash I forgot to tie the license in with it so it came up asking me if i wanted to use 1 of my license. I click ok and it started counting down without a warning b4 I could turn the key off. well I turned it off asap b4 it got counted down but just wondering what that is all about?

The countdown is just to allow the PCM time to reset. If you try to start the car too soon after any reflash (or read) attempt it may not start. In that case, you'll need to turn off the ignition (again) for the required 15-30 seconds.

You won't hurt anything by not waiting, you'll just get frustrated when the car won't start if you don't wait.

P.S. There should be a "Turn ign off" warning before the countdown after EFILive says the PCM is not licensed - we'll get that fixed.

Regards
Paul

Spdfrk1990
June 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks Paul!

joecar
June 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM
If you flash 10 times/day, it will take about 27 years to "wear out" a flash that has a 100,000 cycle life.

Spdfrk1990
June 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Wow I really dont have to worry about it at all then haha.

Biggsy
June 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
If you flash 10 times/day, it will take about 27 years to "wear out" a flash that has a 100,000 cycle life.

LOL, typical engineer ;)

joecar
June 14th, 2007, 02:15 AM
LOL, typical engineer ;)lol... always... :cheers::cheers: