PDA

View Full Version : problem reading allison 6 speed TCM

Samdogmx
June 14th, 2007, 10:27 PM
i downloaded the newest beta to try reading my allison,I've upated the firmware. It connects & appers to be reading fine, but when its done it pops up an error message that says bad file format, please send a copy to efi tech support.

my truck is a 07 classic OS is 12606128

am I doing anything wrong or is my truck just not supported.

GMPX
June 15th, 2007, 03:17 AM
It should normally say unsupported TCM file not bad file format, either way if you can send it through to support@efilive.com we can take a look at what is going on.
There was an unsupported LMM TCM file sent in just yesterday.

Cheers,
Ross

Samdogmx
June 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
nope I tried it twice it reads it but saved it as badfileformat.tun & wont let me open it, I emailed to you

Cougar281
June 17th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Unrelated, but is the same true for the A40 TCM as other modules where when you read the module, EFILive reads EVERYTHING that's in it's memory, and if one where to do a full flash later of that read, it would make the module exactly the way it was at the time of the read? If so, there's under 200k in the huge 2MB flash?

GMPX
June 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Unrelated, but is the same true for the A40 TCM as other modules where when you read the module, EFILive reads EVERYTHING that's in it's memory, and if one where to do a full flash later of that read, it would make the module exactly the way it was at the time of the read? If so, there's under 200k in the huge 2MB flash?

On some computers it is not possible to read the entire flash, both the LBZ ECM and TCM (in a a way) fall in to this catagory. On all the Delphi computers we are able to read the entire flash memory.
This is one of the reasons we don't have full flashing on the LBZ ECM, though we could program the 2Mb of flash and the CPU's internal flash we can't read it all out, the ECM won't let us, we needed to use a debug port on the CPU to get all the data out (you need to rip the ECM apart to get to it).
The Allison LBZ TCM will allow a full read, but, it places some restrictions on the speed it can be done!, we decided not to read the entire TCM because that would take about 45mins! (we timed it), instead we only read the calibrations and some other vehicle specific data from within the flash.

Samdogmx, I believe Andrew at support is working with you on your problems?

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
June 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
On some computers it is not possible to read the entire flash, both the LBZ ECM and TCM (in a a way) fall in to this catagory. On all the Delphi computers we are able to read the entire flash memory.
This is one of the reasons we don't have full flashing on the LBZ ECM, though we could program the 2Mb of flash and the CPU's internal flash we can't read it all out, the ECM won't let us, we needed to use a debug port on the CPU to get all the data out (you need to rip the ECM apart to get to it).
The Allison LBZ TCM will allow a full read, but, it places some restrictions on the speed it can be done!, we decided not to read the entire TCM because that would take about 45mins! (we timed it), instead we only read the calibrations and some other vehicle specific data from within the flash.

Cheers,
Ross

So does that mean that technically, we could full read/flash the A40 TCM, but it would just take a long time? If so, any chance we could be given the option to do either one? Reason I ask is I am going by my local Allison delaer, and I may want to preserve the entire contents after that visit. I'd be reading/programming on the bench so time's not a big deal for me.

Samdogmx
June 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Cheers,
Ross

yes, I did everything as he instructed me to, but so far I'm still having the same issue.

mojoe01
June 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I am having the same problem with the TCM read failing. I have a 06 also with OS 12606128. I can send my BadFileFormat.tun file too, if it helps.

Ron

Cougar281
June 18th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I just sent one your way too. Seems after my visit to the Alli dealer, it won't read now :nixweiss:

GMPX
June 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I don't think it's the dealer, it's like a syncronised failure of all Allison TCM reading............ok, it's a bug that must have crept in to the latest update. It will be fixed ASAP.

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
June 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I just downgraded my firmware back to .57 and it read ok now.

GMPX
June 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I just downgraded my firmware back to .57 and it read ok now.

Thank you, I'll let Paul know.

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
June 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I did notice that when I read the controller info using "Show PCM Info" with the .58 firmwaqre, the Calibration number was different than the original read. After I downgraded back to .57 the calibration number matched the origial read. Just FYI.

serpa4
June 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM
Got the same error and badfile on my 07/LBZ. Should I send the file or you have enough?

serpa4
June 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Where can I get .57? I just have .58

Cougar281
June 21st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Here you go... Hope Ross and Paul don't mind.

serpa4
June 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks!!

serpa4
June 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
That fixed it for me. Got a good trans read with firmware 57!!!

GMPX
June 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I think you Diesel guys might get away with that firmware version, from memory I think many of the changes Paul made after this version were related to the E38 / E67 gas ECM's.

When we release the update with the fix I would suggest updating to it.

Cheers,
Ross

Samdogmx
June 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Here you go... Hope Ross and Paul don't mind.

:bash: I cant get this to work.
It says this file is invalid or currupt. where can I download firmware 57?

GMPX
June 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
:bash: I cant get this to work.
It says this file is invalid or currupt. where can I download firmware 57?

Email sent with files.

Samdogmx
June 24th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I sucsessfully read & reflashed my TCM using the 57 firmware :cheers:

IdahoRob
June 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Any idea on full flash for the LBZ tcm? I saw the arrow so I tried to full flash in another operating system (06 LLY 6 speed) and no go.

Cougar281
June 25th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Any idea on full flash for the LBZ tcm? I saw the arrow so I tried to full flash in another operating system (06 LLY 6 speed) and no go.

Not sure if it's going to happen. A full read or write would take about 45 minutes! I, for one, would like to be able to full read/flash it, and since I have a bench harness, the time wouldn't matter to me. While in a truck, it could possibly be troublesome, I guess..

GMPX
June 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Just out of interest, why would you guys want to full flash the TCM? I don't think we are in a situation like the early TCM's where the early O.S's seem to be more performance friendly.

Cheers,
Ross

IdahoRob
June 25th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Just out of interest, why would you guys want to full flash the TCM? I don't think we are in a situation like the early TCM's where the early O.S's seem to be more performance friendly.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross,
The 06 LLY(6 speed) has adaptive learning shut off capability, and my stock one does not. I wanted to use the 06 as a race tune with adaptive learning turned off as to not let it learn any bad(non race) manors. That is my thought anyway.

zank
June 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Rob what do you mean stock one, do you mean your 07??
What whould I get if I shut off the ad. learning on my 06 lly with suncoast 4 and 1057 conv.??

IdahoRob
June 26th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Rob what do you mean stock one, do you mean your 07??
What whould I get if I shut off the ad. learning on my 06 lly with suncoast 4 and 1057 conv.??

Yes, the 06 and the 07 are different that way. I wish we had tap clearing capabilities. That would be a sweet set-up....clear the taps and then remove the adp. learning. Equals, same shifts with any power level.:rockon:

SPRAYED07
July 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Email sent with files.

could i get these files to please?