PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Mile Calculator?

cmitchell17
June 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Is there anything you can use to calculate quarter mile time, 0-60?

Think this would be a good feature.

And then mabey a graph that you could plot torque and horsepower, after you put in your weight?

southern
June 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
I second that, that would be s great thing to have. I dont think that it should be all to hard since most programmers can.

macca_779
June 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Is there anything you can use to calculate quarter mile time, 0-60?

Think this would be a good feature.

And then mabey a graph that you could plot torque and horsepower, after you put in your weight?

there is already a power PID which works off inputing weight. I use it quite regularly and find it to be an effective way to find holes in power deliverly. Although when I use it I input about half my actual weight to get a higher resolution in the power graph.

cmitchell17
June 23rd, 2007, 03:57 AM
If you only inputed half your weight wouldnt that show that you dont have a lot of power?

Is there any pids for distance or time?

macca_779
June 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
If you only inputed half your weight wouldnt that show that you dont have a lot of power?

Is there any pids for distance or time?

sorry double your weight

blandmiller
June 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I posted a calculated PID for road_load horsepower a while back. It takes aero drag and rolling resistance into account. I don't have time right now to write and test the integral function that would be needed to accurately generate 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and speeds. Maybe someone else will chime in to help.

cmitchell17
June 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM
So is it just a pid to calculate horsepower over a certain distance?

Everyone told me that to make a quarter mile calculator to compare times that it would not work acurately at all. Becuase the resolution is so high or something.

But why couldnt you just make a quarter mile calculator to calculate just you quarter mile time. Wouldnt you just need something to calculate distance and then a timer and then log the speed at the end of the timer.

SSpdDmon
June 29th, 2007, 04:18 AM
So is it just a pid to calculate horsepower over a certain distance?

Everyone told me that to make a quarter mile calculator to compare times that it would not work acurately at all. Becuase the resolution is so high or something.

But why couldnt you just make a quarter mile calculator to calculate just you quarter mile time. Wouldnt you just need something to calculate distance and then a timer and then log the speed at the end of the timer.
It'd be accurate assuming there's absolutely no wheel spin. There should be a way using the VSS and time to calculate distance traveled. Basically, you'd want the point where the average vehicle speed from start to finish line equates to a distance traveled of 0.25 miles. Assuming you're logging ten frames a second, you should at least get the resolution of one decimal place (e.g. 12.4 seconds). Just noting the speed at that point will be slightly higher than the drag strip as the strip averages your speed the last 60 feet of the run.

cmitchell17
July 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Probably just be easier to travel a quarter mile and time it with a stopwatch.