PDA

View Full Version : options request : post your ideas

mr.prick
June 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
what do you think the V1 or V2 needs or should have
in upcoming software updates.

i would like to be able to hide selective cells (right click hide cell)

redhardsupra
June 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM
for a completely new idea: how about having black box logging on a V2 unit? ;)

joecar
June 23rd, 2007, 06:10 AM
lol...

kbracing96
June 23rd, 2007, 06:13 AM

That's crazy, you can't do that! :notacrook::nixweiss::cheers::D

mr.prick
June 23rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
oh thats coming soon.:grd: :D

Beer99C5
June 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM

I'll drink to that!

:beer:

Blacky
June 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
The good news is the problem :bash: that has been delaying the BB logging implementation was fixed yesterday.

The bad new is... there is no bad news for a change. Except that BB logging is still overdue.
But at least its all downhill from here.:notacrook:

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
what do you think the V1 or V2 needs or should have
in upcoming software updates.
i would like to be able to hide selective cells (right click hide cell)

The tables used in EFILive are getting a full rewrite. Setting cell attributes such as "hidden cells" on non-rectangular areas of user-selected cells is high on the list.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
June 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
The tables used in EFILive are getting a full rewrite. Setting cell attributes such as "hidden cells" on non-rectangular areas of user-selected cells is high on the list.

Regards
Paul
sweet i know there are more ideas out there.

redhardsupra
June 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
how about in addition to min/max/avg we also get standard deviation for this group of values?

Happy Jim
June 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Leave him alone until BB logging is out, remember I'm going to the Nurburgring in 12 days and Neeeeeeeed the logging function :master:

:wave:
I'll get my coat ;)

Jim

ScarabEpic22
June 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
So hows AutoCal going? I have a friend who wants a tune but wants to be able to switch back to stock when his girl drives it...

GMPX
June 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Guys, please keep in mind that the development cycle of V7 is going to start to wind down over the next few months. It's time we totally updated the software for a whole new look and feel, but still trying to maintain what everyone is used to. I mean, it will still be EFILive but there is going to be many changes (for the better we are sure).
Of course if early on in the development cycle our beta testers start to call it EFILive Vista, then we might need to rethink everything ;)

We welcome suggestions for V7 enhancements because it's not like that product will be ignored once V8 is done, but much of our focus will be toward V8. Given this is our 3rd year (I think) with V7 we have learned a lot about what people want and how to make things work better and more efficient, especially in a workshop environment.
Version 8 is going to be very open as far as it's internal runnings, so no longer is it going to be built around how GM (esp the LS1) does things. This will make any future enhancements fast and easy to implement.
There is some idea's up on the white board for Version 8 that are going to leave people who tune for a living in awe on how simple it is going to make things, features we just can't get in to V7.

Ahh, so who needs a break anyway, back to it!.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
June 23rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
So hows AutoCal going? I have a friend who wants a tune but wants to be able to switch back to stock when his girl drives it...

AutoCal is being used as the development platform and original test bed for BB logging. I've got to say the AutoCal unit makes a very cool BB logging device - but with its much larger screen, FlashScan will be even better.

Regards
Paul

TAQuickness
June 23rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
My beta drive is tingling! Now if I could just get things under control at work so I can get back to tuning...

macca_779
June 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM
One feature that the competition has which I would really like is Real time tuning using a standard PCM. I know we have access to Roadrunner, but for some of us the investment is a large one. For those that tune on the road a feature like this would be invaluable. We have Bidirectional controls to adjust fuel and spark, which is great and all. But being able to use a tune file to control bidirectional control on a larger scale would be fantastic.

mr.prick
June 24th, 2007, 06:07 AM
One feature that the competition has which I would really like is Real time tuning using a standard PCM. I know we have access to Roadrunner, but for some of us the investment is a large one. For those that tune on the road a feature like this would be invaluable. We have Bidirectional controls to adjust fuel and spark, which is great and all. But being able to use a tune file to control bidirectional control on a larger scale would be fantastic.

who has that?
did i waste my money on the V2! :eek:

joecar
June 24th, 2007, 06:45 AM
who has that?
did i waste my money on the V2! :eek:HPT has that, it uses a "unused" region of the PCM's dynamic memory to store information, which in my mind is not a good idea because it's hard to know if the PCM really does not use that region of memory.

$0.01
:)

eboggs_jkvl
June 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Any way to turn off the ignition on the e38 (Corvette) automatically after a "write" to the PCM?

dfe1
June 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM
how about in addition to min/max/avg we also get standard deviation for this group of values?
Wrong forum-- all the standard deviates (and a few non-standards) are over on HPT.

GMPX
June 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM

You need to try to talk to a shop that has used both, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
June 24th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Any way to turn off the ignition on the e38 (Corvette) automatically after a "write" to the PCM?

??
What do you need to do now?

June 24th, 2007, 11:56 PM
you know sometimes when i read a car i forget to save a copy of the stock file, is there any way that i could activate a window to pop up after the read process to ask me to save/name the file that i just read. so i would have a copy of the original stock file before i start to modify it

Thanks, :notacrook:

Doc
June 25th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Not to sound like a broken record as I have mentioned it before but here goes...

While using the RR, I have found the need to actually save most logs not necessary any more. Furthemore, having to go thru the routine of the whole Cancel/Save bit just to clear the data off the scanner gets old after a while.

I'd really like to be able to clear the data while the scanner is running.

I know I am just spoiled rotten having the ability to do everything in realtime.

As for the other product's realtime capabilities...I was not impressed.

The RR is the real deal and well worth the money.

dfe1
June 25th, 2007, 06:26 AM
How about the capability to start and stop logging and/or recording with a small hand held unit that either plugs into a USB port, or operates wireless. That way you wouldn't have to look or reach over to the laptop keyboard while driving at ill-advised speeds on public highways. (Not that I would ever do that.)

kbracing96
June 25th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I would like to be able to play snakes and other games on my V2 when not tuning with it ;)

11sprocket
June 25th, 2007, 07:35 AM
How about a user-friendly way to create and edit calc pids? I always make at least one mistake first time whenever I create one.

redhardsupra
June 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Paul, I sent you a long list of ideas i think a while ago, whatever happened to that? I should have a lot of free time soon, so if you need help with developing some weirder bits and pieces I'd like to help.
I'm pretty much done with E40/E38/E67 tuning (properly!) so that'd be a HUGE seller if we got it implemented right in the software. Let's do something cool!

joecar
June 25th, 2007, 08:21 AM
A means to dynamically place a "bookmark" while BB logging.

Bi-Dir controls available in BB mode.

4DRSS
June 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
How about a way to access the BCM to add / toggle non-factory features. I know of people in the trailblazer ss community that swap the steering wheel and clock spring out of the 1ss to access the DIC features found in the 3ss. The way to enable this is thru the BCM and only(i think) with a tech2 tool.:bash:
IMO, this would be a nice feature.

June 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
would love to see 0-60 timer and 1/4 mile in the scanner options ,looks prity easy to add

cmitchell17
June 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I want to see a 0-60 time and a quarter mile calculator too. It seems like it would be easy to calculate distance and then you already have speed.

Then who would need a dragstrip and I wouldnt see why it would not be a perfect way to test changes and tuning changes.

And then have a seperate window that would graph the delievered torque and calcualted horsepower. I guess all you would need to know is your weight.

redhardsupra
June 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
actually getting acceleration from speed is nowhere near as simple as basic physics would have you believe. the biggest problem stems from resolution. if you have your speed in mph, you will only see a gain if you make at least one mph improvment. if you're going for small changes, you wont see it. if you have two intervals where the speed happens to be like 81.1 and 81.9, you'll see 0 acceleration, which is just not true.
if you want to measure acceleration, i recommend using a single
gear pull in a range where you dont have traction problems and where air resistance isn't significant either. so for a normal 6sp fbody 2400-6000rpm in 3rd works well. take a bunch of measurements, know what your average time is, and then make changes, see how much that time changes. this method works. in one long night (27 runs!) i managed to drop a time in that interval for my friend's car from 10.2 to 8.7secs. this is the best 'area under the curve' measurement i found. you can also divide it up into intervals so you know which changes where made biggest improvment or loss.
oh, another trick: for stuff like that measure least PIDs you can, so you can increase the sampling frequency.

joecar
June 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
High resolution is the key...

Power = m * v * dv/dt

dv/dt requires high resolution (high sampling rate) of v in order to be accurate; and mulitplying by v makes it worse.

For example, the G-Tech runs at something like 100+ samples/s...

Our PCM's Fast mode 10 frames/s just doesn't give enough resolution for accurate differentiation/integration.

If you log just one pid (VSS) in Dynamic mode, you may get 40 frames/s, accuracy will be better, but it's still not enough (not to mention you won't have many other pids).

dfe1
June 26th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Just a thought-- At some point additional "features" get in the way of the original purpose of a program. FlashScan is a scanning/tuning package not a vehicle data aquisition program. Some of the accelerometer-based systems currently available do a fairly good job of computing 0-60 and quarter-mile times and they're reasonably priced. I think there are much more important scanning/tuning issues to be addressed, especially since GM now seems to think that every vehicle needs a unique ECM and/or operating system. I think Paul and Ross are doing a kick-ass job and we should minimize diversions that take time and focus away from tasks that have much higher priorities.

mr.prick
June 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM
the point of this thread is to give the manufacturer some feed back from it`s costumers and maybe help with future improvement that users want.
and maybe point out some things that are lacking .

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4908&highlight=problem+7.4

redhardsupra
June 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
well, if we're going broad ideas, then i want scatter plots, trendlines, and histograms in bar form, not just numbers. also charting any arbitrary functions on top of data would be nice, along with plotting distributions of residuals between data and the fitted model.
being able to display more than one piece of data in a cell would be great. you do it already on the charts, where i can see current/min/max/avg, if i could do that in the histograms that'd really make my life easier.
color coding cells based on some other variables would be good too. ie cells with a large std dev of data in that cell should be highlighted to identify trouble spots.
and i want a pony :)

joecar
July 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Here's what I would like...

2 independent sequence id's for file name use:
tun filename: xxxx_<seq1>
log filename: xxxx_<seq1>_<seq2>

where the <seq1> in the log filename tracks the <seq1> in the tun filename,
and <seq2> resets back to 0000 whenever <seq1> goes to a new value.

i.e. so when you save a tun with a sequenced filename, the subsequent log filenames will match the tun filename.

bK
July 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I use the colour coding (MIN to MAX) in the maps in Scan tool to ensure that I've hit all the cells enough times. When driving looking at colours is much better and quicker then trying to read the numbers.

Is there a way to tell the Scan tool that if the cell count is above a certain number it's reached the MAX? That way with the pic below I could set the number to 100 and will be able to see the smaller cell counts with better colour contrast.

http://nqhsvls-1.com.au/images/main.php/d/1078-1/cell-count.jpg

mr.prick
July 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
keep the ideas coming maybe someone is watching:D

DaddySS
July 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
pre determined bookmarks that you can tag as you log, for instance: create two book marks - 1=A/c on, 2=a/c off - then as you log, press 1 and tag that point in the log, press 2 and tag again, etc. so you can easily indicate what is going on during the log.

redhardsupra
July 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
an easy way to do a find/goto to a specific condition on the chart, like kr>0 or TPS=100% or something.

Blacky
July 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
pre determined bookmarks that you can tag as you log, for instance: create two book marks - 1=A/c on, 2=a/c off - then as you log, press 1 and tag that point in the log, press 2 and tag again, etc. so you can easily indicate what is going on during the log.

You can do that now. Press keys 0-9 to set tag. Label each tag using the menu: Edit->Properties->[Notes] tab page.

You can add/remove tags in existin log files using the red X and green tick toolbar icons.

You can move to a tag using the digits 0-9 (to search to the right) or Ctrl+0-9 (to search to the left)
And page down for next tag and page up for prev tag.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
an easy way to do a find/goto to a specific condition on the chart, like kr>0 or TPS=100% or something.

Excellent idea and one that is already being implemented. Expect to be able to find user defined conditions, plus generic conditions like highest, lowest, zero, non-zero and negative values etc...

Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 5th, 2007, 08:02 PM
well, if we're going broad ideas, then i want scatter plots, trendlines, and histograms in bar form, not just numbers. also charting any arbitrary functions on top of data would be nice, along with plotting distributions of residuals between data and the fitted model.
being able to display more than one piece of data in a cell would be great. you do it already on the charts, where i can see current/min/max/avg, if i could do that in the histograms that'd really make my life easier.
color coding cells based on some other variables would be good too. ie cells with a large std dev of data in that cell should be highlighted to identify trouble spots.
and i want a pony :)
The pony we can do, for everything else there's mastercard.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM

I'm not a statistician, what info does std dev give that is useful when analyzing logged data?

Regards
Paul

redhardsupra
July 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I'm not a statistician, what info does std dev give that is useful when analyzing logged data?

Regards
Paul
it gives you the spread of values.
for example, if you got BEN's of (-30 -30 -30 30 30 30) your mean is going to be 0, however the tune still sucks.
now with stdev you will see the tune sucks as it will tell you that 65% of values in this sample are <32.8634

the real value of stdev is filtering. in matlab i often create zscores (how many standard deviations away from the mean) and then filter out everything that's beyond 2 stdev's (that retains about 95% of values while tossing the rubbish)

you give me ability to do stdev and i'll make your filtering 10x better than it is now ;)

DaddySS
July 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
You can do that now. Press keys 0-9 to set tag. Label each tag using the menu: Edit->Properties->[Notes] tab page.

You can add/remove tags in existin log files using the red X and green tick toolbar icons.

You can move to a tag using the digits 0-9 (to search to the right) or Ctrl+0-9 (to search to the left)

Regards
Paul

Excellent, thanks!

shallow bay
July 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM
How about the ability to compare different OS?

DaddySS
July 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Regards
Paul

Tried it today but you can't add a tag while logging?

Biggsy
July 7th, 2007, 06:56 AM
How about the ability to compare different OS?

Yes!
I know tables are different between operating systems but quite a few are the same, it would be nice to be able to compare

DaddySS
July 7th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Tried it today but you can't add a tag while logging?

In other words, while you're logging, have preset marks, then press for instance 1, and mark the spot where you turned a/c on, or whatever it it is you're trying to keep track of.

Blacky
July 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
In other words, while you're logging, have preset marks, then press for instance 1, and mark the spot where you turned a/c on, or whatever it it is you're trying to keep track of.

What does not work?

I tried it again and pressing any of the number keys will add the note 0 thru 9 on the charts as a vertical dotted white line - while data logging.

Or maybe I don't really understand what you're asking.

Regards
Paul

DaddySS
July 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
That's what is not working - will try it again but the green "add note" box was grayed out while logging.

Blacky
July 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM
That's what is not working - will try it again but the green "add note" box was grayed out while logging.

That is correct, those two tool bar icons are for adding/removing notes when reiewing logs, not while recording them. You should only need to press the keys 0-9 on the keyboard to add notes while recording data.

Regards
Paul

DaddySS
July 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM
OK, I'll try it, thanks!!!

gto_in_nc
July 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
This works perfectly for me, Paul! I use it extensively (but find I forget what I was marking sometimes. Old-Timer's, you know...)

wadesns
July 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I may have overlooked this option but i would like for the map to show actual value of a cell in addition to min/max/average and cell count. I think this would be useful when trying to look for specific data like kr is happening and under what conditions it is taking place.

..RJ..

DaddySS
July 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
OK, I'll try it, thanks!!!
Ok tried it again and it works great, thanks!

Blacky
July 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
I may have overlooked this option but i would like for the map to show actual value of a cell in addition to min/max/average and cell count. I think this would be useful when trying to look for specific data like kr is happening and under what conditions it is taking place.

..RJ..

Yes, its on the list of things to add. Its been on the lsit for a while...
Paul

joecar
July 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
If this hasn't already been mentioned:
for the 2D tables (in tunetool), highlight the current point (linked from scantool) on the graphic display of the table (just like for the 3D tables).

Blacky
July 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM
If this hasn't already been mentioned:
for the 2D tables (in tunetool), highlight the current point (linked from scantool) on the graphic display of the table (just like for the 3D tables).

It hasn't been mentioned but you can select the 3D view of a 2D table and see the linkage that way.

Regards
Paul

joecar
July 22nd, 2007, 05:18 AM
It hasn't been mentioned but you can select the 3D view of a 2D table and see the linkage that way.

Regards
PaulAh, good point, never thought of that. :cheers:

mr.prick
July 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
it`s nice to see thiis thread is still going.
i hope it has been helpful to product development. :wave:

joecar
August 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6072

joecar
October 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
The ability to save all OBD-II info (not just current DTC's and readiness tests, but Mode 6/7/8, O2 tests, FF, DTC status's...);

and being able to do this without necessarily taking a log.

Kevin Doe
October 30th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I will second the request to see standard deviations on all the cells in maps. I too would like to create filters based upon standard deviations. Like the other guy said, it will help dramatically if you know how to use it.

mr.prick
October 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
i wonder if this thread will ever be a sticky.

joecar
October 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Ok, temporarily.

mr.prick
October 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM
:muahaha:

macca_779
November 15th, 2007, 05:14 PM
an idea which I think would really be a nice addition is the ability to lock table cells from being altered when smoothing. Say for example you pull some timing from a cell, then you want to smooth the surrounding cells to be similar. Locking the cell would stop it from raising back up with the smoothing process. The same theory would be great for interpolating VE. You could do an auto VE lock the cells you've altered then smooth everything in between.. What does everyone think?

Blacky
November 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
an idea which I think would really be a nice addition is the ability to lock table cells from being altered when smoothing. Say for example you pull some timing from a cell, then you want to smooth the surrounding cells to be similar. Locking the cell would stop it from raising back up with the smoothing process. The same theory would be great for interpolating VE. You could do an auto VE lock the cells you've altered then smooth everything in between.. What does everyone think?

See attached image.
Regards Paul

macca_779
November 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Cool thanks Paul. Always nice to discover new things

scdyne
December 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Why not just write a Data API that exposes the scan tool data to other applications. Then that way LabView, MatLab, SciLab, IADS, etc could all just use scripts or a simple DAQ interface to get the data from the EFI Live Scan tool.
Let the EFILive guys focus on ECU tuning software (what they do best) and let Analysis tool packs like MatLab address analysis features we want to see.

I'm already writing a scan tool interface for the NI USB-8473 CAN bus interface for IADS it wouldn't be much different to make it work with EFILive assuming there is an API available. My NI interface is for a Thielert Aviation engine, but CAN is CAN for the most part.
If EFILive handles all the PID information and just pushes(or exposes) raw parameter values one after another to IADS then it would be VERY easy to format and display it in IADS.

Now this is not for everyone, but a Serious dyno shop would be inclined to consider this route as IADS is capable of integrating many different hardware sources at the same time and displaying them. I just say IADS because I have access to it LABView would offer up the same benefits.

Just my $0.2
-Adam

Blacky
December 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Adam,

Well said!

There is currently an unpublished API that can be used to extract data from the FlashScan V1 and V2 devices. However it is not as "user friendly" as it could be so I have not pushed it into "public view" so to speak.

The new V2.5 firmware for FlashScan (currently being beta tested for black box logging) has an all new API that will be publicly exposed to allow exactly what you are suggesting.

P.S. The API is very high level, in that you don't need to deal with anything other than selecting the correct vehicle and the requesting PID data by name i.e. getPid("RPM"), getPid("IAT") etc... Plus functions such as getVIN(), getDTCs().

Regards
Paul

scdyne
December 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
That's what I wanted to hear! In my quest for Tuning software I have wanted a software package that I could integrate with IADS or LabView. They may be expensive software packages north of $4000 a license depending on packages, but well worth the Analysis features.

NOW I know I'm going to integrate the Innovate SDK with IADS AND EFILive so I can read all of my data from one software package - in real time and with Analysis features. This and the fact that it already can read NI/HBM DAQ hardware makes this a complete solution for any tuner.

Imagine having the ability to read (in real time) the MAF velocity converted to CFM vs. Delta P in a crossplot. With your compressor map as a background image in the crossplot and your surge line as an envelope (Limit line) in the cossplot you could quickly establish a visual of % from surge line during any driving condition. This is a VERY VERY nice tuning tool for matching a compressor profile with engine for the most efficient or performance worthy solution. See my IADS object I attached to this post.. I use this along with a Turbo Speed sensor to keep an eye on surge and flutter when pushing smaller turbo and superchargers to there limits.
I actually used this to build a compressor map for a Powerdyne BD600 after they told me none existed for it. It's not worth much to anyone except me since it's based on how it flows through a Saturn LLO 1.9L head.

mr.prick
December 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM
please make the RTACS data application factor adjustable.
i see in post #10 here
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6885
it is by default multiplied.
the option to add, subtract, and multiply in
whatever order you choose would be very helpful.

Automotive Innovations
January 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Wish List

BCM programming, or toggling factory options would be awesome to say the least. I have lost count on the number of people that have asked to have option s toggled or disabled on their BCM.

The ability to not just receive data but to send over the data bus. for example test gauges to see if the fault is with sender vs gauge. Basically have more features that would compare with a Tech2.

The ability to permanently install a wide band into a vehicle and tune the PCM to a specific air/fuel ratio based on throttle, load, gear, etc.

Wifi or Bluetooth capabilities with V2 would be kick A** maybe thru sd card adapter? pull tunes from computer to V2 and send BB logs to computer. etc.

A repository on EFIlive's site would be nice.

ability to set trigger points based on rpm,wot,shift,etc to ground unused output pins on PCM (not just cos)

electric fan output pin option for all os

ability to have to spark tables, that would serve as a high octane version and a low octane version, with a grounded pin to toggle between them.
Many customers want a low octane tune, and a high octane tune.

Long enough list?

hquick
January 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
I'd like to be able to view Max values in the dash 'B' (chart) page as well as current/realtime values so straight after a hard or WOT run I can see what 'happened' rather than having to watch the laptop as I'm planting the foot at excessive speeds.....not that I'd ever do that! ;)

2002_z28_six_speed
January 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
What I think would be useful for TuneTool is notes that are specific to the tune file open. Currently, the user notes are the same no matter what file you have open. Tune file specific notes means easier and faster resolutions and troubleshooting. If someone changes something in a tune they can log it convienently and it will show on the table page which they changed!! Like an advanced file history...

Another useful thing might be to have two variables for one table in one map page. If you notice some tables will have a P/N and a D table variables in one chart. Look at {B4606} to see what I am talking about. You can't make a map like that in ScanTool, currently. You should be able to make maps displayed in TuneTool in your ScanTool ALSO! ;)

Both of those would be easy to implement without causing Paul much expense and would improve the quality of the product.

I am trying to think of the small stuff here.

Chunx
February 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
One feature that the competition has which I would really like is Real time tuning using a standard PCM. I know we have access to Roadrunner, but for some of us the investment is a large one. For those that tune on the road a feature like this would be invaluable. We have Bidirectional controls to adjust fuel and spark, which is great and all. But being able to use a tune file to control bidirectional control on a larger scale would be fantastic.Does this really work?
http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.html?page=vcm_editor_rtt.htm
VE tuning with just the +- keys?

macca_779
February 19th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Does this really work?
http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.html?page=vcm_editor_rtt.htm
VE tuning with just the +- keys?

Funny that this was just brought up again as I just had an idea on how to implement a system like HPTuners RTT without the need of a custom OS that uses supposed unused memory.

My idea is that currently we have the Bi-di controls which are great and I tend to use delta timing quite a bit. But how about a customisable table built into the scan tool that works as a look up table for the Bi-Di's. I'll use timing as the example as this is what I use the bi-di's mainly for. Now ignoring all the modifiers that are applied to B5913, most of the time the data in this table is what we are working for. The way I see it is if the software is logging dynamic cyl air and RPM we have the axis's of a spark table and live lookup is possible as it always has been when cross referencing to the tune tool. Now if you were to fill this said table with a copy of B5913 or whatever you want, couldn't the software have the ability to apply this data to the bi-di's directly and control the forced timing option. The beauty part would of course be that the numbers in this table are only a look up table external of the PCM and thus changes to it can be applied in real time with the engine running. You could perform multiple pulls tweaking it and when your done copy it over to the tune file and apply the cal.

I think it would be a very useful addition and would require no revisions to an operating system for it to work. What do you guys rekon.

[edit] I just had another thought about this and naturally a forced timing MAP does have some negative implications for areas like idle and DFCO.. So on top of my previous idea how about a feature where on the lookup table you have areas selected where the software could disable bi-directional control automatically. Then only when in the segments which you want live look up of a forced value would the bi-di's be invoked and the subsequent lookup values applied.

Blacky
February 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
It is something that is was available in EFILvie V5. When we brought out RR support, we dropped support for the bidi controlled spark and fuel maps because RR was so much better.

Maybe we can re-instate it in version 8, but it would not be a high priority in the version 8 roadmap.

Regards
Paul

joecar
February 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yes, I liked those features in V5.

macca_779
February 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I know many people I have discussed this with would really appreciate the addition. Especially from a marketing perspective it would really put the competition back another notch

5.7ute
February 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Has any more progress been made on the accel enrichment tables. Even if it was limited to the COS it would help the FI guys out.

dc_justin
February 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Has any more progress been made on the accel enrichment tables. Even if it was limited to the COS it would help the FI guys out.

This is something that is practically a must for us SD FI guys.

dc_justin
February 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM
This is something that is practically a must for us SD FI guys.

To re-iterate the need... I went back to MAF today because I was tired of the lean stumble in SD.
A real quick stab was yielding a full 1/2 second delay before the engine would respond. My wife's not been allowed to drive my truck as a result cause she has a tendency to rapidly stab the throttle and the last thing I need is for her to damage something.

mr.prick
March 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
how about being able to open LS1edit and HPtuner files?:nixweiss:
or would that be way too much to ask.;)

joecar
March 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
They have their own proprietary encryption.

There's also a mutual understanding between all parties... "you don't crack ours, we won't crack yours".

Blacky
March 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM
how about being able to open LS1edit and HPtuner files?:nixweiss:
or would that be way too much to ask.;)

Yes, that's a little bit on the "far-away" side of way too much.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM
They have their own proprietary encryption.

There's also a mutual understanding between all parties... "you don't crack ours, we won't crack yours".
Yeah, what Joe said. :nixweiss:

Or re-phrased, you don't publicly release our format that you've already hacked, and we won't publicly release your format that we've already hacked.

Paul

5.7ute
March 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Any news on this yet Blacky?

hquick
May 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah...that help out immensely Mick.
Transient fuelling!

mr.prick
May 29th, 2008, 11:11 AM
time to bump this thread.
for RTACS,
i would like to be able to set the update frequency per table
instead of having a general setting.
also i am wondering if it would be possible to make a COS
for GEN3 (fbody/ybody) that could work with 58X reluctor.

Aloicious
May 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah...that help out immensely Mick.
Transient fuelling!

x2 on the transient fueling.

mr.prick
June 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
is it possible to speed up the loading of logged data?
large log files take an eternity to filter/load.

Blacky
June 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
is it possible to speed up the loading of logged data?
large log files take an eternity to filter/load.

Yes, currently (in V7) it is all done with disk buffers (long story - don't ask). V8 uses in memory buffers which is orders of magnitude faster.

For a comparison, the V7 re-plot of 50,000 frames can take 5-10 seconds. On the same machine, a re-plot in V8 of 50,000 frames is less than 1/10th of a second.

Regards
Paul

ssvolvo
November 8th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Since the advent of CAN or LAN it's getting harder to swap an E38, E67, or even an E40 into an old "junk" without using aftermarket guages and bypass the A/C circuit.
I notice on GM's performance controller they have an oil and alternator light, not sure about cruise and A/C turn on signal.
One thing I suppose we can do is find the O.S. of their performance controller and have it flashed in.

Thanks for listening, you guys rock!

John

ssvolvo
January 29th, 2009, 01:23 AM
How about defining/adjusting "hot mode" tables for T42,43?

Also T43 missing tables for keeping Tap up/ Tap down "in gear"...NO overide.

Thanks guys, I know this takes time!

Cheers, John

mr.prick
April 19th, 2009, 03:11 AM
How about being able to manually hide selected cells in a map.
Right click menu or hot key.

1BadAction
April 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
How about defining/adjusting "hot mode" tables for T42,43?

Also T43 missing tables for keeping Tap up/ Tap down "in gear"...NO overide.

Thanks guys, I know this takes time!

Cheers, John

+1 With the climate down here, this is an addition that is needed badly. :sly:

ScarabEpic22
May 8th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Just throwing this out there, any way to have the software scan for supported controllers when issuing a read (or write, that'd be even cooler) command and then read both the ECM and TCM out back to back? Maybe even have a dialog box pop up asking for save location and filename BEFORE the read so you are guaranteed a pair of untouched stock files. That would save some time and keep people from asking why they cant tune the trans. Of course keep the existing flash commands so if you have the trans setup perfectly and are tweaking the engine you dont have to flash both, just wondering if this could be added easily (or at all).

But if not I can dream right? :)

mr.prick
June 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Can Milli-volts (mV) be added to the NBO2 PIDS? (imperial/metric)
I know it can be done with a calc.pid making it somewhat frivolous,
but why not.

Blacky
June 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Can Milli-volts (mV) be added to the NBO2 PIDS? (imperial/metric)
I know it can be done with a calc.pid making it somewhat frivolous,
but why not.

You can add a custom unit for the HO2Sxx PIDs so that when you press Enter on FlashScan's keypad it changes between V and mV.

To make mV one of the preset custom options for all PIDs with V units, you can add mV to the file:
\ProgramData\EFILive\V8\EFILive.ini (Vista)
or
\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\EFILive\V8\EFILive.ini (2K/XP)
by adding an entry in the [Unit Conversions] section like this:

0110=V mV 0 1000 0.000000 N

Be aware that file (EFILive.ini) may get overwritten during a future update. Currently it is set to not be overwritten but that may change in future.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
June 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Be aware that file (EFILive.ini) may get overwritten during a future update. Currently it is set to not be overwritten but that may change in future.l

This is one reason I asked.

It's not a big deal but in the scan tool GM.HOSxx is in volts only
and in the tune tool O2 switch point {B4105} is in mV. :)

Blacky
June 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
This is one reason I asked.

It's not a big deal but in the scan tool GM.HOSxx is in volts only
and in the tune tool O2 switch point {B4105} is in mV. :)

Good point, that got overlooked. They really should be the same units.
Paul

Wolfie
July 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Any chance for a "choose what directory the data files go into"?
When installing the software, being able to choose my own directory would be nice,

as I have the software on both my vehicle laptop and my "home" computer. Sure would make it easier keeping them in sync.
Also I would like a new motorcycle for my birthday.

Blacky
July 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Any chance for a "choose what directory the data files go into"?
When installing the software, being able to choose my own directory would be nice,

as I have the software on both my vehicle laptop and my "home" computer. Sure would make it easier keeping them in sync.
Also I would like a new motorcycle for my birthday.

While you can't select the data file folder name during the install, you can change it once the software is installed.
Use the Scan Tool menu: Edit->Properties->Folders and highlight the "Logged Data" item. Then click the [Browse] button to select a different folder.

You can also double-click on some items ("Logged Data" item included) to toggle the "remember last folder option".

Regards
Paul

joecar
July 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Log filenames based on tune filenames...

e.g.

if tune filename is 12212156_0007.tun, then successive log filenames will automatically be:
12212156_0007_0000.efi
12212156_0007_0001.efi
12212156_0007_0002.efi
12212156_0007_0003.efi
12212156_0007_0004.efi
. . .
. . .

Wolfie
July 3rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
I've seen that part of it, but I keep the complete directory sync'd.
As of now, I have to use a file sync program to keep my vehicle computer
matched to a sd card, and then sync the sd card to my home computer and then reverse the operation every time I get into town.

mr.prick
July 3rd, 2009, 03:00 AM
I use SyncToy v2.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en) and an external HD to keep things sync'd and for back up.
When I adjust or make a new file I'll Bluetooth the files between my 2 laptops or copy from the EHD, I'm too cheap to buy a USB transfer cable.

:offtopic:
What about my idea in post #1 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=49968&postcount=1)?

98 tigershark
July 26th, 2009, 09:49 AM
How About a RPM/MAP IBPW table were we could adjust the IBPW directly (Like VE).
Paul, we briefly touched on this a few years back I think regarding the dynamic calculations used by the PCM.
98 tigershark:devil_2::master::nuke::throw:
PS: Free licenses would also be nice!

macca_779
December 20th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Just a quick one to express a new idea. Yesterday I was playing around with a car with poor idle quality. Eventually nutted the issue out to be shot o2 sensors causing a super rich idle. During the troubleshot I used the DVT's a fair bit to adjust IAC, Timing and lastly Fuel to see the reaction with fuel turning out to be the problem. During this testing I wasn't really taking much note of the data as the trims were fine and I was just observing the nature of the car. The thought came to mind that having the DVT's available via the V2 would be a handy addition. What do you guys think? Is it feasible to incorporate the controls into the V2 firmware.

Ryan

Blacky
December 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The thought came to mind that having the DVT's available via the V2 would be a handy addition. What do you guys think? Is it feasible to incorporate the controls into the V2 firmware.
Ryan

Working on it...

Paul

GAMEOVER
December 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Just a quick one to express a new idea. Yesterday I was playing around with a car with poor idle quality. Eventually nutted the issue out to be shot o2 sensors causing a super rich idle. During the troubleshot I used the DVT's a fair bit to adjust IAC, Timing and lastly Fuel to see the reaction with fuel turning out to be the problem. During this testing I wasn't really taking much note of the data as the trims were fine and I was just observing the nature of the car. The thought came to mind that having the DVT's available via the V2 would be a handy addition. What do you guys think? Is it feasible to incorporate the controls into the V2 firmware.

Ryan

Thats a swell idea!!!:thumb_yello:

macca_779
December 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
It is something that is was available in EFILvie V5. When we brought out RR support, we dropped support for the bidi controlled spark and fuel maps because RR was so much better.

Maybe we can re-instate it in version 8, but it would not be a high priority in the version 8 roadmap.

Regards
Paul

Paul any future thought for bringing this back in for V8. It really would be a very attractive feature to have and one that I would use extensively. I do have a RR. But for the most part the work I'm doing on other peoples cars doesn't warrant the time for me to fit and remove it.

macca_779
December 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Working on it...

Paul

Brilliant. Thats great news.

Blacky
December 20th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Paul any future thought for bringing this back in for V8. It really would be a very attractive feature to have and one that I would use extensively. I do have a RR. But for the most part the work I'm doing on other peoples cars doesn't warrant the time for me to fit and remove it.
I will be re-investigating adding that feature to V8, sooner rather than later.
Paul

joecar
December 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I will be re-investigating adding that feature to V8, sooner rather than later.
PaulI will use that alot...:cheers:

joecar
December 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
DVT in standalone V2...:cheers:

whackem04
January 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
me x2

5.7ute
March 10th, 2010, 12:17 PM
How about delta airmass control in the DVT's ?
I was thinking about this last night & thought how easy it would make dialling in idle for those without a RR.

joecar
March 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Pids for the following:
- indication of where airmass is coming from (VE or MAF).
- value of CL Mode {B4107}.

mr.prick
March 10th, 2010, 04:16 PM
#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ---------- ----------- -------- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-001
None 0 64 .0 "Lookup({SAE.MAF.gps}, 0,0, 4,4, 8,12, 12,30, 16,36, 20,40, 24,44, 28,50, 32,54, 36,54, 40,54, 44,54, 48,54, 52,54, 56,56, 60,64, 64,64, 68,64, 72,64, 76,64, 80,64, 84,64, 88,64, 92,64, 96,64, 100,64, 104,64, 108,64, 112,64,116,64,120,64,124,64, 128,64, 132,64, 136,64, 140,64, 144,64, 148,64, 152,64, 156,64, 160,64, 164,64, 168,64, 172,64, 176,64, 180,64, 184,64, 188,64, 192,64, 196,64, 200,64, 204,64, 208,64, 212,64, 216,64, 220,64, 224,64, 228,64, 232,64, 236,64, 240,64, 244,64, 248,64, 252,64, 256,64, 260,64, 264,64, 268,64, 272,64, 276,64, 280,64, 284,64, 288,64, 292,64, 296,64, 300,64, 304,64, 308,64, 312,64, 316,64, 320,64)"
None 0 64 .0 "Lookup({SAE.MAF.lbpm}, 0.00,0, 0.53,4, 1.06,12, 1.59,30, 2.12,36, 2.65,40, 3.17,44, 3.70,50, 4.23,54, 4.76,54, 5.29,54, 5.82,54, 6.35,54, 6.88,54, 7.41,56, 7.94,64, 8.47,64, 8.99,64, 9.52,64, 10.05,64, 10.58,64, 11.11,64, 11.64,64, 12.17,64, 12.70,64, 13.23,64, 13.76,64, 14.29,64, 14.82,64, 15.34,64, 15.87,64, 16.40,64, 16.93,64, 17.46,64, 17.99,64, 18.52,64, 19.05,64, 19.58,64, 20.11,64, 20.64,64, 21.16,64, 21.69,64, 22.22,64, 22.75,64, 23.28,64, 23.81,64, 24.34,64, 24.87,64, 25.40,64, 25.93,64, 26.46,64, 26.98,64, 27.51,64, 28.04,64, 28.57,64, 29.10,64, 29.63,64, 30.16,64, 30.69,64, 31.22,64, 31.75,64, 32.28,64, 32.80,64, 33.33,64, 33.86,64, 34.39,64, 34.92,64, 35.45,64, 35.98,64, 36.51,64, 37.04,64, 37.57,64, 38.10,64, 38.62,64, 39.15,64, 39.68,64, 40.21,64, 40.74,64, 41.27,64, 41.80,64, 42.33,64)"
================================================== ================================================== ==========
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#--------------------------------- ----------- ------------------- --------------- -------------------- -----------------------------------
CALC.CLMODE F001 CLC-00-001 None Air "Closed Loop Mode"

joecar
March 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Yes, I was considering that... but it would have to be edited for each calibration that had a different set of values.

mr.prick
April 10th, 2010, 04:23 AM
How about the ability the selectively highlight multiple cells, columns & rows in both the
scan and tune tools by holding the ctrl key?

I've asked about this before http://smiliesftw.com/x/deadhorse_1.gif
and I still think it's a must have. :)

Aloicious
April 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM
How about the ability the selectively highlight multiple cells, columns & rows in both the

I think it would be useful as well.

OT, That dead horse animation is a bit disturbing. :shock:, I mean, look at where he's hitting the horse :Eyecrazy:

mr.prick
April 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
With as many times as I've asked for this,
where else would you hit the horse? :laugh:

Blacky
April 12th, 2010, 10:10 AM

It will be done. And now you're going to ask when. And I'm going to say I don't have a date for that mod yet. But it probably won't happen in the V7 software, it will definitely be in the V8 software.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
April 12th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Dare I ask when the V8 software will be released? :grin: :secret:

Blacky
April 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Dare I ask when the V8 software will be released? :grin: :secret:

People who ask when V8 is ready->:bangin:<-Me
Me->:pokey:<-People who ask when V8 is ready

So sure, go ahead and ask :)

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
April 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I'll ask later. :hihi:

ScarabEpic22
April 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Id love DVTs in standalone V2 as well.

Also in the BBx windows in V8 S&T, Id like to be able to select multiple objects using either CTRL or SHFT like you can in windows.

Blacky
April 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Also in the BBx windows in V8 S&T, Id like to be able to select multiple objects using either CTRL or SHFT like you can in windows.

You can for the green and yellow sections (PIDs), just not the blue section (Menu items).

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
April 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM
You can do this w/EE when copying the config files too. ;)

ScarabEpic22
April 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM
You can for the green and yellow sections (PIDs), just not the blue section (Menu items).

Regards
Paul

Guess I should have specified Id like it for the blue PID Menu Items section...forgot it was in the other 2 already.:fluffy: Mostly for removing multiple controllers included in the default Options.txt.

Blacky
April 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Guess I should have specified Id like it for the blue PID Menu Items section...forgot it was in the other 2 already.:fluffy: Mostly for removing multiple controllers included in the default Options.txt.

I thought you might have meant that.

It's difficult to do due to the PID list being dependant on which blue item is selected. If multiple are selected I'd have to blank out the PID list. Then I'd have to handle all the options that operate on the blue items like, properties so that all selected items are updated. What happens if you've got 5 highlighted and you select properties and set the hot key to F1? Which one gets it? Lots of problems that I'm not ready to work on just yet :)

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Mostly for removing multiple controllers included in the default Options.txt.

To clear multiple entries simultaneously, you can un-check the check boxes and select "clear all unchecked menu items" (the button that looks like a "no entry" symbol just to the right of the menu list).

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
April 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I thought you might have meant that.

It's difficult to do due to the PID list being dependant on which blue item is selected. If multiple are selected I'd have to blank out the PID list. Then I'd have to handle all the options that operate on the blue items like, properties so that all selected items are updated. What happens if you've got 5 highlighted and you select properties and set the hot key to F1? Which one gets it? Lots of problems that I'm not ready to work on just yet :)

Regards
Paul

To clear multiple entries simultaneously, you can un-check the check boxes and select "clear all unchecked menu items" (the button that looks like a "no entry" symbol just to the right of the menu list).

Regards
Paul

Makes sense, having to handle all of those scenarios would be tricky.

I understand clearing the checkboxes deletes the entries, I just want to select multiple entries to deselect the checkboxes so I dont have to individually select each checkbox. If its a lot of work then dont worry about it, just something to think about.

joecar
April 16th, 2010, 03:44 AM
When a pidlist is copied/pasted (blue section), the operation copies the pids ok but fails to copy custom units and alarms (green section).

swingtan
April 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I'd like an option to alter the default naming profile for the tune files. The default of increasing a file count by "1" more that the last file name is OK, but I'd like to have a date/time stamp instead of a sequence number. This would help a huge amount now that BBF is running as it would allow a better idea of the what the tune files are.

To give an example, I did a bit of dynamics testing at lunch time today and flashed in maybe 5 tunes. Then went back to work and at afternoon tea, I did a new tune to flash in and test on the trip home. I flashed it in via BBF, but realised soon after starting that it wasn't the latest tune. I had forgotten to save the tune to the SD card, but didn't realise this as I'd forgotton the file number. A date time stamp like mmddhhmm.ctd would be good, adding in a 4 digit year would be perfect ( but might cause issues with the length ).

Simon.

5.7ute
July 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I would like a way to group calibration tables to a user defined section. Similar to how you can group selected tables to the favourites tab.
For instance you could name a group "exhaust" & place in this group all the tables you modify when changing an exhaust system. This way you dont need to trawl through the tree to get to the pertinant tables for something where a script is of no real use.

macca_779
July 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I would like a way to group calibration tables to a user defined section. Similar to how you can group selected tables to the favourites tab.
For instance you could name a group "exhaust" & place in this group all the tables you modify when changing an exhaust system. This way you dont need to trawl through the tree to get to the pertinant tables for something where a script is of no real use.

Now that's a really good idea right there. I too would really appreciate something like this.

joecar
July 13th, 2010, 04:25 AM
You mean like multiple favourite lists (with each list being able to be renamed)...?

Alex99
July 13th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Is there any plan on implementing a variable TCC enable temp function for GEN3 auto transmissions?

5.7ute
July 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
You mean like multiple favourite lists (with each list being able to be renamed)...?
Yes.

mr.prick
August 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
How about more maps in the maps tab.
The map bar can easily fit A-Z instead of A-J.

joecar
August 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
+1 more maps. :cheers:

Biggsy
November 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
When BB logging (just displaying live data ie. not recording), I would like to be able to have every PID available when scrolling down through the live data without it going slow.
Have it where the V2 only commands the ECM to stream data of what PID's are currently displayed. So, as you scroll down, the next PID is commanded and displayed and the PID that dissappeared off the top of screen is no longer commanded. This would allow me to have a PID group that has more than 24 channels selected, and no restrictions on data speed. Also, maybe have a button on the V2 that can be pressed that will record current displayed data.

You could do a similar thing on dashboards in V7/8. Have several dashboards, and, as you flick between them, a new PID list automatically gets streamed from the ECM.

I hope I explained it correctly (compared to what is in my head)!

Cheers,

joecar
November 24th, 2010, 06:05 AM
When BB logging (just displaying live data ie. not recording), I would like to be able to have every PID available when scrolling down through the live data without it going slow.
Have it where the V2 only commands the ECM to stream data of what PID's are currently displayed. So, as you scroll down, the next PID is commanded and displayed and the PID that dissappeared off the top of screen is no longer commanded. This would allow me to have a PID group that has more than 24 channels selected, and no restrictions on data speed. Also, maybe have a button on the V2 that can be pressed that will record current displayed data.

You could do a similar thing on dashboards in V7/8. Have several dashboards, and, as you flick between them, a new PID list automatically gets streamed from the ECM.

I hope I explained it correctly (compared to what is in my head)!

Cheers,Dave,

+1... I like that idea.

That is similar to what some scantools like the Genysis/Nemysis do... all pids are being logged, the ones visible on the screen are updated at high priority, the ones not visible on the screen are updated at low priority, and you can dynamically scroll/page up/down thru a long list of pids; it also allows you to move individual pids relatively up/down so that you can group pids together on the screen.

This allows all pids to be quickly viewed when I have no idea what I'm looking for when troubleshooting.

Biggsy
November 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM
it also allows you to move individual pids relatively up/down so that you can group pids together on the screen..

I wanted that too, but couldnt think how to explain it!:doh2:

Your reason for wanting this is the same as mine, you dont always know what PID you want.

Cheers,

swingtan
November 25th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Unless I missed this at some stage, I'm pretty sure it's not available yet.

I's like be able to update the V2 config files using the SD card and not plug it directly in to the computer. Having a config section that holds the same data as the V2 "config" filesystem would be great, then a new option under "setup" for "V2 Config" and have a load / save option, that copies the data between the local storage and the SD card.

Some advantages would be...

Faster changes for switchable tune options.
Easy updates to config files ( ODBC descriptions etc ).
Easy changes to PID selection files.
Less hassle for people who have a "semi-permanent" install of the V2.

For some time now I've been doing a fair bit of tweaking and the V2 stays in the car all the time. I BBL a number of trips, then make adjustments based on the logged data, save the tune back to the SD card and the laptop hardly sees the V2 now.

having another directory under EFILive on the SD card for "config" shouldn't be too hard to arrange....

Simon.

mr.prick
June 5th, 2011, 12:38 AM
A utility for creating calc_pids

redhardsupra
June 5th, 2011, 01:16 AM

you mean notepad? :)

joecar
June 5th, 2011, 01:48 AM
WiFi/Bluetooth connection between future FlashScan device (V3) and future OBD (OBD-III).

Blacky
June 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
You mean like this which is part of the V8 Scan Tool software V8.

mr.prick
June 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
No, I meant something more like notepad. :laugh:

It seems my software is in need of an update. :doh2:

Blacky
June 5th, 2011, 11:24 AM
It seems my software is in need of an update. :doh2:

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. That part of the V8 software (the scanner and tune editor) is not released yet.

Yeah "notepad" I had a good laugh too :)

Regards
Paul

joecar
June 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM
you mean notepad? :)

No, I meant something more like notepad. :laugh:

Yeah "notepad" I had a good laugh too :)

Regards
Paul
lol... :hihi:

I use slickedit, it applies syntax coloring... :cucumber::banana:

GMPX
June 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM
UltraEdit all the way here, even has syntax highlighting for specific assembly languages.

Mr. P.
June 6th, 2011, 05:17 AM
UltraEdit is so ... pre-9/11 :D Hard to beat an oldie-but goodie though; I use notepad++ now.

Mr. P. :)

ScarabEpic22
June 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Ha my CS classes wanted us to use Crimson Editor, hasnt been updated in 5+ years now and the project is dead. Switched to Notepad++ 2 years ago, really like its versatility.

joecar
June 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Allow the engine oil pressure calc pid to show up for Camaro/Firebird (so we don't have to artificially enter a Corvette VIN).

joecar
June 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Scantool chart data highlighting/selection -> Tunetool table cells highlighting

currrently this has a limit of 100 frames

can this be made a user option (to select how many frames) (the user is responsible for any slowdown resulting from setting this to greater than 100);

can there be other options, such as highlight the table cells where the local maximum/minimum occur in the highlighted/selected chart portion (rather than highlighting cells from just the first 100 frames);

other options regarding this that I have not yet thought about... :doh2: i.e. that you may have.

mr.prick
August 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Can we add the tool bar options to the conversions tab?
Linear Fill, Smoothing or user defined custom labels.

BlackGMC
November 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Can we see about adding B9021 minimum transient p/w.......(Minimum injector pulsewidth during transient conditions
This table has been shown to limit the minimum pulsewidth in some operating systems.) or it's equivalent parameter to the 1mb PCMs???? My OS is 12587603 and i would like to have this option. Or could it be added to the corresponding COS3????

Thanks

Corey

nevinsb
November 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
After doing some black box logging and opening the log in the scan tool, I would like to be able to open a pid file to add calculated pids to my log (Like for calc.ve). It won't let me do this after there is data in the log file.

mr.prick
November 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
You can add calc_pids to a log provided the prerequisite pid(s) were logged.
They can also be set to open automatically in the V8 software w/BBL.

joecar
November 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Like mr.prick said, you can add calc pids after a log was taken (if it contains the prereq. pids), and you can save them into the log.

nevinsb
November 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah, it's just annoying to have to add like 8 of them, especially since some of them depend on previous calculated pids. I can save the pid file, but can't open the pid file when there's already data in the log.

Blacky
November 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah, it's just annoying to have to add like 8 of them, especially since some of them depend on previous calculated pids. I can save the pid file, but can't open the pid file when there's already data in the log.

You can pre-select calculated PIDs for black box logging so that they are already added to the file when you load it into V7.
See image below...

Regards
Paul

nevinsb
November 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks Blacky! I'll give that a try.

Rich Z
December 30th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Sorry if this may have been mentioned before, or perhaps it exists and I just haven't figured out how to do it. I'm still a raw newbie at this.

I find that when I am viewing playback of a log file, that I may want to jump to an anomalous value that I believe may be in the data. Somewhere.. So being able to search the data based on a value (above, below, range) would be extremely helpful. And yeah, I'm pretty sure it would be pretty tough to program something like this that would suit ANY data stream.

Blacky
December 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Sorry if this may have been mentioned before, or perhaps it exists and I just haven't figured out how to do it. I'm still a raw newbie at this.

I find that when I am viewing playback of a log file, that I may want to jump to an anomalous value that I believe may be in the data. Somewhere.. So being able to search the data based on a value (above, below, range) would be extremely helpful. And yeah, I'm pretty sure it would be pretty tough to program something like this that would suit ANY data stream.

That feature is included in the new V8 Scan Tool design.

Meanwhile in V7, you can create a calculated PID in V7 that returns 0 for "in-range" data and 1 for out of range data and then manually scan through the log file to see where the calc PID is 1 or 0.
For example, the calc PID below returns 1 when the spark is >25 and 0 when it is <=25.

The calc PID is defines like this:

# ================================================== ============================
# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter Value Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION 7.1.1 File version
DECSEP . Decimal separator used in this file

# ================================================== ============================
# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code System Abbr Description
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------

None None "" "No units"

# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-001
None 0.0 1.0 .0 "Iff({SAE.SPARKADV}>25,1,0)"

*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
CALC.SPARK_HIGH F400 CLC-00-001 None Performance Spark Montior

Regards
Paul

Rich Z
December 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I hope version 8 does this search automatically. To be quite honest, MANUALLY searching through a log playback for that trigger would be no more helpful than just scanning through looking for the event itself I am interested in. I would only be looking at a different line in the display.

Blacky
December 30th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I hope version 8 does this search automatically.

Yes. :)

Rich Z
December 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM
OK, now how about the log file playback controls themselves in version 8? Will it have the capability of starting or resuming playback (forwards and backwards) from any point in the file, or will it be limited as it is in version 7 with ONLY being able to start at the beginning of the file? For instance, putting in a note in the file position while paused would be helpful, and then later on being able to jump immediately to that point and then resuming playback (again forwards or backwards) at that point would be helpful. While manually scanning through a log file it would be helpful to be able to resume (or even start) playback at any point in the file.

Thanks.

Blacky
December 31st, 2012, 01:37 PM
OK, now how about the log file playback controls themselves in version 8? Will it have the capability of starting or resuming playback (forwards and backwards) from any point in the file, or will it be limited as it is in version 7 with ONLY being able to start at the beginning of the file? For instance, putting in a note in the file position while paused would be helpful, and then later on being able to jump immediately to that point and then resuming playback (again forwards or backwards) at that point would be helpful. While manually scanning through a log file it would be helpful to be able to resume (or even start) playback at any point in the file.

Thanks.

I saw that request earlier but I can't understand why it is something that would be useful? What extra information can you obtain by playing back the file that you can't obtain simply by looking at (and/or scrolling through) the charts?
The only reason a playback option exists at all is so that we can show unattended demo charts scrolling across the screen when the software is on display at trade shows. I can't think of any other use for the playback mode.

If there is some reason that playback to/from preset points is useful then I'd happily incorporate it into the software.

Regards
Paul

Rich Z
December 31st, 2012, 07:14 PM
I saw that request earlier but I can't understand why it is something that would be useful? What extra information can you obtain by playing back the file that you can't obtain simply by looking at (and/or scrolling through) the charts?
The only reason a playback option exists at all is so that we can show unattended demo charts scrolling across the screen when the software is on display at trade shows. I can't think of any other use for the playback mode.

If there is some reason that playback to/from preset points is useful then I'd happily incorporate it into the software.

Regards
Paul

OK, suppose I want to scan through a log and find a point where I want to just have the log "play" while viewing the interrelationships between the various traces? Well, that WAS interesting. Well, let me see that again. Oops, have to start over from the BEGINNING. Hmm, that section was 10 minutes into the drive, so I guess I can go get a drink in the next 9 minutes. Yeah, I can set a note at the spot I want to make note of, but once I jump directly to that point, then what? Matter of fact, I can see where setting a point A and a point B and continually looping through that segment would be helpful.

Also I want to take video of certain sections of the logs for instructional purposes if I want to demonstrate to people on my own forum about how the results of a scan can show what is REALLY going on with the engine's sensors and controls. Right now this would be downright painful to try to do. Heck, did you see my thoughts on being able to convert a log file playback to a video file? I'm surprised that people who teach this stuff have beaten down your doors asking for it. The log playback function gives us the ability to display information from sensors in real time. I find a lot of value in that I can see things HAPPENING in real time, which means while the display is in motion. Watching some values ramp up or ramp down in relation to one or more values causing such changes is invaluable in understanding what is really going on. Heck, I've got a problem with the IAT sensor or harness that is spiking the detected incoming air temperature. It's downright instructive watching how a fault like this affects other parameters concerning the performance of my engine.

Heck, I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who thinks that scanning through the logs is an incredible learning tool. That is why I am taking the time to LEARN the scan tool before jumping into tuning. My perception of this is that tuning without understanding what you are doing or seeing BEFORE you make the first table change is much like shooting in the dark, then waiting to see if you hear something yelp that it got hit. Everything going on in the engine based on what controls tell it to do, and what sensors detect are happening because of those controls, as a flow of data that this tool allows us to view AS IT HAPPENED during the logging session. To me, that data means a whole lot more if I am watching it happen as that flow, and not simply static images snapped along the way. Log files are going to have segments that are more interesting and telling than others, some being intermittent based on hapstance, and others simply because the driver changed the values of the controls to make those changes. So having a manner to get to them quickly, and play ONLY those sections would be a benefit to someone reviewing all the data being displayed.

Have you ever processed raw video files to paste segments together? Only the rawest of newbies think that their entire video is worth watching from beginning to end. You cut out the fluff and things that aren't pertinent and interesting by jumping to those sections you want to include in your presentation and extracting them into your final cut. Any video software that had the limited controls of EFILive for viewing the video (the equivalent of the data displayed in log files) would drive someone trying to use that software insane. Heck even the most rudimentary video processing software (like Windows Movie Maker) will resume play from any point you select on the timeline.

Can I be the only one who sees the value of using EFILive's data logging for diagnostic purposes? Isn't this what everyone does when they log files after making tuning changes?

IMHO....

mr.prick
January 1st, 2013, 01:24 AM
OK, suppose I want to scan through a log and find a point where I want to just have the log "play" while viewing the interrelationships between the various traces? Well, that WAS interesting. Well, let me see that again. Oops, have to start over from the BEGINNING. Hmm, that section was 10 minutes into the drive, so I guess I can go get a drink in the next 9 minutes. Yeah, I can set a note at the spot I want to make note of, but once I jump directly to that point, then what? Matter of fact, I can see where setting a point A and a point B and continually looping through that segment would be helpful.

You can replot & scroll the log forward then crop the section or
filter out frames you want/don't with a calc_pid based on frame number.

#------------ ---------- ----------- -------- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-004
Frame 0 99999 .0 "frame()"
#--------------------------------- ----------- ------------------- --------------- -------------------- -------------
CALC.FRAME F004 CLC-00-004 Frame Conditions "Frame Number"

IMO
Playback (forward or backward :hihi:) is frivolous when you can record, filter, cut & paste.
This seems to be a case of not knowing what can be done with the software. :angel_innocent:

Rich Z
January 1st, 2013, 04:59 AM
You can replot & scroll the log forward then crop the section or
filter out frames you want/don't with a calc_pid based on frame number.

*CLC-00-004
Frame 0 99999 .0 "frame()"
#--------------------------------- ----------- ------------------- --------------- -------------------- -------------
CALC.FRAME F004 CLC-00-004 Frame Conditions "Frame Number"

IMO
Playback (forward or backward :hihi:) is frivolous when you can record, filter, cut & paste.
This seems to be a case of not knowing what can be done with the software. :angel_innocent:

And this is better and easier than just having the controls programmed into this tool? :laugh:

mr.prick
January 1st, 2013, 10:04 AM
This will get you what you want until then. :blahblah:

Rich Z
January 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM
This will get you what you want until then. :blahblah:

Well then, in that context, thank you for your help.

joecar
January 1st, 2013, 06:55 PM
Hi Rich,

Most of us manually move the chart inspector/cursor back/forth thru the chart when analyzing a log...

if you wanted to to play segments of the log, then you could crop each segment and save to a new file (one segment at a time), this would then let you integrate with your video(s).

Rich Z
January 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hi Rich,

Most of us manually move the chart inspector/cursor back/forth thru the chart when analyzing a log...

if you wanted to to play segments of the log, then you could crop each segment and save to a new file (one segment at a time), this would then let you integrate with your video(s).

Yes, I have been doing that as well, but when scanning through a LONG log file just looking for anything that looks *different*, it's quite tedious that way. Maybe when I am more familiar with this stuff I won't feel like I need to look at EVERYTHING, or will know exactly where I need to look for something. But right now, I just don't know what is "normal" and what is not. So I am presuming the longer I look at log files, eventually SOME of the stuff will have to be considered as normal, and the stuff that is not normal will become more apparent to me.

Rich Z
January 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Ooh, I've got another one....

I'm looking at a log file, and want to look at ONLY the relationship between two of the values being tracked. Sure would be nice to have a way to QUICKLY hide the tracks I don't want to see at the moment. Something like right clicking on the trace or the label and just being able to select "hide" and then being able to make it visible again as needed. Kind of like when looking at multiple parallel audio clips you can mute any track separately.

Just a thought....

EagleMark
July 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM
Sure would be simple that way. Right click and have a list of all PIDS in log then click the ones you want to see! Simple! That is the way TunerPro RT is set up...

Blacky
July 21st, 2013, 04:27 PM
Ooh, I've got another one....

I'm looking at a log file, and want to look at ONLY the relationship between two of the values being tracked. Sure would be nice to have a way to QUICKLY hide the tracks I don't want to see at the moment. Something like right clicking on the trace or the label and just being able to select "hide" and then being able to make it visible again as needed. Kind of like when looking at multiple parallel audio clips you can mute any track separately.

Just a thought....

In the V8 scan tool you can do just that. Just right click on the PID in the chart and select "Options->Show PID" to hide/show the PID.

Regards
Paul

EagleMark
July 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Is it safe to start learning the V8 Scan Tool? I've never touched it.

My understanding is V8 is going to replace all V7.5 stuff?

Blacky
July 21st, 2013, 06:37 PM
Is it safe to start learning the V8 Scan Tool? I've never touched it.

My understanding is V8 is going to replace all V7.5 stuff?

The V8 Scan Tool will open/display existing V7 log files. It doesn't support pass-thru scanning yet.
The charts are fully operational, the gauges and maps are still under development.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
October 21st, 2015, 09:23 AM
Suport for Dodge gas engines,
any chance of this happening?
:angel_innocent: :w00t: :coool: :drool: :Eyecrazy: :D:cucumber: :hihi: :cheers: :grin: :rockon:

GMPX
October 21st, 2015, 09:29 AM
None

joecar
October 21st, 2015, 09:29 AM
Suport for Dodge gas engines,
any chance of this happening?
:angel_innocent: :w00t: :coool: :drool: :Eyecrazy: :D:cucumber: :hihi: :cheers: :grin: :rockon:Mike, did you get a Hellcat...?

mr.prick
October 22nd, 2015, 08:47 AM
SRT8 :w00t:
Diesel has all the fun. :doh2:

GMPX
October 22nd, 2015, 11:24 AM
I thought about buying an SRT-8 300 myself a few times especially now ours get the 8 speed, but I just can't bring myself to jump the GM ship. And your final statement isn't quiet true, the 3.0L Eco-Diesel in my garage remains stock after 2 years with no chance it'll ever be tuned, sometimes we have to pick our battles and some aren't worth taking the fight to (not saying that about the SRT-8).

mr.prick
October 22nd, 2015, 11:54 PM
all as well.
i know the new stuff is getting harder to crack.

fyi
the 8 speed torqueflight is nice. :angel_innocent:

GMPX
October 23rd, 2015, 10:37 AM
Actually the new Chrysler ECM's (from about early 2015 I think) are a pull apart to tune job due to the security levels in them, so yeah it is heading down the euro computer path.
Have you see the 'gear selector' for the 8 speed in the 300? So dumb.

greasess
November 1st, 2015, 04:20 AM
One small change that I would like to see is that I want to be able to pull another 60 deg. of timing with the nitrous monitor in COS5. I'm using the base spark park/neutral table to pull timing and the nitrous monitor to control fuel but it would be great to do this in one place as well as any speed and rpms above 4800 rpms. I would think changing the limit from -20 would be simple enough. You could call it the nitrous monitor/anti lag function and put another feather in your hat!

GMPX
November 1st, 2015, 10:41 AM
Sorry, LS1 Custom OS's will not be modified again from what they are.

greasess
November 1st, 2015, 11:01 AM
Typical... So will V8 ever be done? Or is that just a pipe dream?

GMPX
November 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
Typical...
Why is it typical?
The LS1 custom OS's were written 10 years ago and have been running stable ever since. It makes no sense for EFILive to go back and spend months rewriting them to add additional functions that a handful of people have requested over the years. I don't think people realise just what is involved and the time and resources it takes to do it and to be frank there would be no financial incentive to do so. This flows down to other custom OS's we've written in the past on older platforms (both Gas and Diesel), once they are stable we are very reluctant to ever touch them again.

greasess
August 23rd, 2016, 04:14 AM
One feature I would really like to see is a search function in the PID list in the scan software. It would be nice to search for "SAE.TP" for example and jump to that rather than scrolling for days. Just my $.02

Blacky
August 23rd, 2016, 06:12 AM
One feature I would really like to see is a search function in the PID list in the scan software. It would be nice to search for "SAE.TP" for example and jump to that rather than scrolling for days. Just my $.02

The V8 scan tool is functional and has a search feature...

Meanwhile in the V7 software the way to find a PID is to sort the PIDs by a particular column, say by the "Parameter" column, then all the PIDs are shown in alphabetical order. Then just scroll to the SAE.TP PID based on its position in the alphabet.
If you don't know the PID name but know its units then sort by the "Units" column. To sort by a column just click on the column heading. Each time you click on the heading the sort order is reversed. Clicking on the "Description" column header will sort selected PIDs first, then un-selected PIDs.

I know that's not as good as a dedicated search option but that's why V8 is being developed.

Regards
Paul