PDA

View Full Version : PCM Swappers....I forgot this code

zapp168
June 29th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I glanced a post by DOC here somewhere about the 98 cluster controlling the Alternator or something to that approach. It made me think and I remember now the first time I started the car I had some alternator code or charging code, it came back after a re-flash, but it has not comeback since.
Anyone else get a similiar code? The car is charging fine, but I find things usually don't fix themselves, does it require attention.

Doc
June 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I did my swap in Acient Times long before the Brontosarus, er Segment swapping age. I rewired my Instrument Cluster to run the newer style cluster. The newer style cluster is merely a slave to the PCMs serial data stream.

Read, I figured this out the hard way as my alt gage went down as the battery drained down.

If you are having the dreaded P01617 generator code it is really simple. One wire from either the pcm-new or IC. Trace them back. If the wire is good, your alt is on it's way out.

shallow bay
June 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I also had the same code. It was P1637 Generator 2 L-Terminal Circuit. From my understanding, there's a wire that goes from the alternator directly to the PCM on the 99+ vehicles. This circuit was not available on the 98's. It will occasionally throw the code but will not set the SES light. The code can be set to "Not Reported" under the Engine DTC Processing Enablers.

ChipsByAl
June 30th, 2007, 02:29 AM
The 1998 F-car alternator is not controlled by the PCM, it is controlled by the instrument cluster. If you are using the later PCM ignore any generator codes as the charging system is independent of the PCM in that vehicle.
Al

zapp168
July 1st, 2007, 04:32 AM
Ya that was the code, I have not seen it in a while though, and I have not had any charging issue. I forgot about it until I read a post about the cluster and the Alternator and went...hmmmmm.....Thanks guys....