PDA

View Full Version : E38 locked!!!

gotabav
July 4th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I have been helping a friend that owns a local shop in CA with a project that has me chasing my tail. It is a 1956 Chevy truck with a 2006 LS2 crate engine, 4L65E, running on an E38 ECM (OS 12614682). When we read the current tune file everything is fine. When you check the PCM security status, it shows to have a "standard key (unlocked)". When I try to flash the PCM, it comes up with a bootloader error and states the PCM is locked and to enter the key. We have just started on the PCM portion of this project after a local shop flashed the PCM with a stock Corvette tune for us (VIN 1G1YY25U765114858) I have spent almost a week on this particular part of the project and I am starting to loose hope. Has anyone had any problems similar to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

joecar
July 4th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Will this help:
showthread.php?p=48004 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=48004)
showthread.php?t=3971 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3971&highlight=unlock)

gotabav
July 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I tried that yesterday, no luck. I will be back in the shop tomorrow and try again.

wait4me
July 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
How many plugs does the PCM have on it? if it has 2 then it is e38, if 3 then e67 or e40. If it is an 06 i would think it would be an e40. So have him select that pcm type and try again.

gotabav
July 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM
It is an E38 (two plugs). My friend who built this car is by far one of the best techs in the field today, bar none. This isn't a complete package, he purchased the motor, trans, ECM, and TCM then he built the wiring harness completely from scratch with factory plugs, wiring colors, the whole bit. Everything works, the car starts, for a very brief time, then it dies and stores a VATS code. :Eyecrazy:

eboggs_jkvl
July 5th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Disable VATS?

joecar
July 5th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Disable VATS?Unfortunately PCM appears locked.

eboggs_jkvl
July 5th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Unfortunately PCM appears locked.

THe physical wiring can be fooled can't it? You should know the resistance in the key and you simply wire a resistor into the circuit to "fool" the VATS into thinking the correct resistance is in the circuit (at the key) and you bypass it. Or does that not gain you anything?

I assume that the ignition is looking for the proper resistor. Hell, computers are a PITA.

:Eyecrazy:

Thinking more... Will it even crank and try to start if the wrong or NO resistance is read by VATS?

joecar
July 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Oh yeah, you're right, there's a write up someplece on how to fool it by adding some wiring... :cheers:

ChipsByAl
July 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
The BCM not the ECM is in charge of the theft system. With all the extra associated wiring and gizmo's, I would opt in favor of throwing the switch in the PCM for the theft disable. The problem that really needs to be addressed is the "locked" issue. There will be several other concerns with this transplant that will require ECM programming.
Is it necessary for other modules to be "on line" for writing to take place? What if the ECM is setup for a different vehicle?
Al

Doc
July 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Very interesting project. I wish I had something intelligent to add other than inspiration. Don't give up, if it were easy, everybody would be doing it. At least in this day and age you have more resources (sets of eyes, too) than ever. You'll figure it out. Keep us posted.

:cheers:

Blacky
July 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I've just got back into the office after three days away and I have a number of reports that E38 unlocking is not working correctly. I am investigating and will hopefully have a solution (or at least an explanation) sometime in the next 24 hours.

Regards
Paul

mikesp1
July 9th, 2007, 01:29 AM
any solutions yet

Blacky
July 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM
The problem is fixed. An update is due to be released later today.

Regards
Paul

mikesp1
July 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
and I will thank you even more tomorrow when I here it running
Mike

gotabav
July 10th, 2007, 01:21 AM
We are excited to hear the problem is fixed!! Just out of curiosity, what was it?

Looking forward to the update being posted, as soon as it is, I'll post some pics of the project that I and MIKESP1 are working on. It's pretty sweet!:D

Blacky
July 10th, 2007, 08:27 AM
We are excited to hear the problem is fixed!! Just out of curiosity, what was it?

It was a bug in the EFILive software that caused EFILive to mis-identify the E38 ECM as an LS1 PCM. When EFILive tried to unlock the E38 it used the key-code for an LS1 which obviously did not work on the E38 ECM.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Sorry about not posting the update sooner, I was about 10 minutes away from uploading it when the power went out:bawl:.
Might be time to invest in an uninteruptable power supply.:bash:

I should have everything back up on line in the next hour and the update will get posted.

Regards
Paul

tunedportcj5
July 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
:rockon: :cheers:

mikesp1
July 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Its runs
It took me a little bit to figure out the vats you cant turn it all off you leave it all on and you tell it its not required to run
I am so happy :notacrook:

GMPX
July 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Mike, I can make an E38 run on the bench just by turning G1204 to No, but yes there are a few combinations that would also get the job done.

Cheers,
Ross

mikesp1
July 12th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Yes I have to double check it was late last night when I did it But when I turned them all to no it didnt work I had to turn them on and turn g1204 to no
it worked
Thanks for your help
Mike