PDA

View Full Version : No GM PIDs and no VIN with COS3

02BlackonBlackSS
July 7th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I have been trying to chase this ghost for a few hours now and I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this. I upgraded to COS3 just fine on the roadrunner and everything was working, then I saved my tune and put the RR in another car with another tune. I went back to my tune and performed a full reflash on the RR to my old tune and for some reason the vin number was 0'ed out. I entered the vin number again and performed another full reflash and when I went to the tuning tool menu to get the pcm info, the vin was still 0. I entered the vin and the os # in the scan tool under file>enter vin and I still have no gm PIDs. What do I need to do?

Blacky
July 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I have been trying to chase this ghost for a few hours now and I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this. I upgraded to COS3 just fine on the roadrunner and everything was working, then I saved my tune and put the RR in another car with another tune. I went back to my tune and performed a full reflash on the RR to my old tune and for some reason the vin number was 0'ed out. I entered the vin number again and performed another full reflash and when I went to the tuning tool menu to get the pcm info, the vin was still 0. I entered the vin and the os # in the scan tool under file>enter vin and I still have no gm PIDs. What do I need to do?
The GM PIDs are loaded based on the VIN. If the VIN is not correct then chances are the GM PIDs will not be loaded. The only part of the VIN that is relevant for the PIDs to be loaded correctly is the first 2 characters. They must be one of the following (from sae_generic.txt):

# ================================================== ============================
# VIN/config files
# ----------------
#
# This section determines which additional config file(s) should be loaded
# based on the VIN detected in the connected vehicle.

*VINCONFIG

#VIN Config file
#---------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
1G......... gm_enhanced.prn (USA GM)
2G......... gm_enhanced.prn (Canada GM)
3G......... gm_enhanced.prn (Mexico GM)
4G......... gm_enhanced.prn (USA GM)
5G......... gm_enhanced.prn (USA GM)
6G......... gm_enhanced.prn (Australia GM)
6H......... gm_enhanced.prn (Australia Holden)

If the VIN you are using is not listed, you can add it to the \Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\sae_generic.txt file, or you can change the VIN in the PCM to match one that is already listed.

Regards
Paul

02BlackonBlackSS
July 11th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I am using a standard 2G vin number. It is from a Trans Am. It just doesn't seem to want to store on the PCM whenever I reflash.

Doc
July 11th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Just to review, 1) you are using a RR
2) you are attempting to use a COS
3) you started with a known good cal

The thing I have noticed when using my RR is I have never been able to fully "build" a COS, specifically get the VIN to take hold.

What I did was using a known good cal, matching COS and a known good regular pcm, build the COS.

The PCM security button on the tuning tool is not availible when using the RR.

So, there may be a way to do this with the RR that I donot know of but using a regular pcm, and updating the VIN with the security button has worked for me.
(use the Locking tab, then check status, then update the VIN)

Once the COS is built upload it to the RR and you are on your way.

Blacky
July 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Ahhh, I missed the part about RR. You can't program the VIN into RR. Basically anything that the PCM would normally write to flash memory will not work because the RR has no flash memory.

I had not ever considered re-programming the VIN would not work in the RR - I will add the option to reprogram the VIN in an RR PCM.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Actually there is a way around the problem.:notacrook:

Change the VIN in the Vehicle Details window that is displayed when you first start the EFILive Tuning Tool software. Then save the *.tun file. That will change the VIN in the file. Then just full flash the *.tun file into RR using RR's full flash option.

Regards
Paul

Doc
July 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Oh now that is just WAAAAAY TOOOO Easy! I guess I can holster my bazooka for the next knife fight.

Thanks Paul

acsf
July 24th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Hi,

I am having this problem also, even after trying evething on this thread.

On my Flashscan screen the calibration and vin pages appear normal with correct vin and bcc. When I click on "Show calibration details for connected PCM" (Ctrl+Alt
+PgUp) and click "Get Info" My vin is all 0's and BCC is MOD3.
Thanks
andy

Blacky
April 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
After programming an RR with a new VIN (and/or BCC), you must power down the ECM (disconnect the battery) to force the new VIN (and/or BCC) to become valid.

When you reflash a *.tun file into the RR unit, the data is written directly into the ECM's emulated flash memory. The ECM maintains a copy of the VIN in its own internal RAM. It will continue to report the old copy of the VIN to a scan tool until it is powered down and restarted.

When the ECM is restarted it copies the VIN from the emulated flash memory into its RAM. It then reports the new VIN.

P.S. Sorry this is such a late reply, I just had another enquiry about this and pointed the customer to this thread. I didn't realize there was still an outstanding query at the end of the thread.

Regards
Paul