PDA

View Full Version : Maps and pids....

SSpdDmon
July 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I get asked often what to log and what to map out in the scanner. Attached below are copies of my MAPs and PIDs folder. Have at it folks...

:cheers:

Maybe a few others could post up their stuff and we could drop this in the stickies???

**EDIT** Due to tech. diff. with the upload feature, I had to change the extension on the attached files. They are .zip files. Right click, save target as to your hard drive. Then, change the extension to maps.zip and pids.zip and it should work.

gto_in_nc
July 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I think this would be an excellent sticky!

Thank you, SSpdDmon! This is fantastic.

EDIT: I pulled the comment Beer99C5 quotes (while he was typing!) because I realized you'd alread identified them! I think some guidance as to which logically work together might be helpful (some were obvious to me but only because I have been staring at this stuff for months now and I'm starting to get it. :) ) A "library" of useful components on forum, along with some very brief helpful hints would be a tremendous supplement to the tutorials and would assist people (myself included) in finguring out how to figure stuff out!)

Beer99C5
July 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I think this would be an excellent sticky! Perhaps some more knowlegable than I can create several flavors? Such as "VE-centric", "Looking for Lost Spark", "Chasing Economy", a shotgun "I need to ask for help!" set, etc.

X2

:cheers:

WiseGuyZ06
July 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Didnt work for me.... Maby im stupid??? excel wont open it...

Beer99C5
July 9th, 2007, 02:39 PM
They are .zip files. Right click, save target as to your hard drive. Then, change the extension to maps.zip and pids.zip and it should work.

Rename them w/ .zip

gto_in_nc
July 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Rename them w/ .zip

And then copy them from the ZIP to some other folder. (Scan tries to open the ZIP files themselves rather than view them as compressed folders...)

WiseGuyZ06
July 10th, 2007, 12:41 AM
still confused... I hate thes computer shit!!!

gto_in_nc
July 10th, 2007, 12:49 AM
When you click the attachments in SSpdDmon's post above, it probably asks if you want to open or save. Say "Save". When you save, either save them as Excel spreadsheets (with the .XLS extension) and then rename them to have a .ZIP extension, OR you can do the rename in the same step as the "save".

The problem is that the files aar ZIP files but the forum doesn't allow uploading ZIP files. SSpdDmon got around this by pretending they were Excel spreadsheets...

Make sense so far?

gto_in_nc
July 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Then, after getting them saved as ZIP files, you will need to extract the contents from them because ScanTool doesn't know how to look inside a compressed folder. If you have a modern operating system, you can probably browse into the ZIP files and then just copy & past or drag & drop. If an old OS on your computer, you may need something like WinZIP to open the ZIP files.

Follow me?

WiseGuyZ06
July 10th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Then, after getting them saved as ZIP files, you will need to extract the contents from them because ScanTool doesn't know how to look inside a compressed folder. If you have a modern operating system, you can probably browse into the ZIP files and then just copy & past or drag & drop. If an old OS on your computer, you may need something like WinZIP to open the ZIP files.

Follow me?

Yes I just got it.. saved as a zip, opened the scanner and moved the zip files to the scanner map files folder and it worked... Then opened it... thanks sspdmon...

SSpdDmon
July 10th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks gto...

If you have questions about why I made a certain map, let me know. The main ones I wanted to share are the ones that plot out spark, kr, fuel trim tuning (MAF, VE, and IFR), and WB tuning (MAF, VE, and IFR). Using the software to log the right stuff is only part of the battle. If you can't analyze the data you logged correctly, you're just spinning your wheels.

If I'm feeling generous this weekend, I'll try and post up the filters I use too.

WiseGuyZ06
July 10th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks gto...

If you have questions about why I made a certain map, let me know. The main ones I wanted to share are the ones that plot out spark, kr, fuel trim tuning (MAF, VE, and IFR), and WB tuning (MAF, VE, and IFR). Using the software to log the right stuff is only part of the battle. If you can't analyze the data you logged correctly, you're just spinning your wheels.

If I'm feeling generous this weekend, I'll try and post up the filters I use too.

:rockon: :cheers: :master: :beer:

Chalky
July 10th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks for sharing. Couldn't get Fuel Efficiency.map open.

SSpdDmon
July 10th, 2007, 03:11 AM
That's using the custom pid from the mpg thread on here. It may not work if you don't have that pid setup.

Chalky
July 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM
What pids do I need to get th MPG pid to function?

joecar
July 10th, 2007, 05:52 AM
What pids do I need to get th MPG pid to function?On the PIDs F8 tab, on this pid right click->More Info and you will see which other PIDs it requires.

SSpdDmon
July 10th, 2007, 06:14 AM
What pids do I need to get th MPG pid to function?

SAE.VSS - GM.INJFLOW - GM.IBPW1 - SAE.RPM

**I think it assumes your IFR table is accurately populated.

You'll also need a calc_pids.txt that has the MPG pid in it.

It should be under My Documents>EFI Live>V7>User Configuration.

WiseGuyZ06
July 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
sspdmon, what map do you need to dial in the MAF???

THX...

SSpdDmon
July 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM
WBO2 Correction vs MAF Hz

You'll need to change the data tab in the map properties (Ctrl+Enter) so that your WB's Base Efficiency Numerator is the parameter being referenced. You can save the map after changing it the first time and it should work from there on out...

The WB maps have 3 versions:

1 - WB AFR (will show you the average, high, and low readings from your WB sensor)
2 - WB Commanded (will show you the average, high, and low AFRs commanded by the PCM)
3 - WB Correction (will show you the average, high, and low BENs calculated by the scanner)

Remember:

Correction = WB AFR / Commanded AFR

Chalky
July 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM

You'll need to change the data tab in the map properties (Ctrl+Enter) so that your WB's Base Efficiency Numerator is the parameter being referenced. You can save the map after changing it the first time and it should work from there on out...

1 - WB AFR (will show you the average, high, and low readings from your WB sensor)
2 - WB Commanded (will show you the average, high, and low AFRs commanded by the PCM)
3 - WB Correction (will show you the average, high, and low BENs calculated by the scanner)

Remember:

Jeff:

Can you give me a little more detail on how you setup this MAP/MAPS?

WiseGuyZ06
July 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Remember:

Is that in youre maps.zip that you uploaded???

EDIT: FOUND IT!!!!

THIS IS GONNA MAKE SHIT SO MUCH EASIER....

THANKS

SSpdDmon
July 11th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Jeff:

Can you give me a little more detail on how you setup this MAP/MAPS?
http://download2.efilive.com/Tutorials/Interactive/How%20to%20Create%20a%20Map.htm

That's how you do the VE. The MAF is similar, except on the column tab, I selected RPM and typed ",8000" in the label box. The rows are MAF Hz and the data is still your BEN for your WB.

Chalky
July 11th, 2007, 02:23 AM
thanks Jeff, got it. Already had the map setup for monitoring the MAF table. The three variables threw me a bit.

SSpdDmon
July 11th, 2007, 02:34 AM
thanks Jeff, got it. Already had the map setup for monitoring the MAF table. The three variables threw me a bit.
Oh....I had originally set the Commanded_AFR and WB_AFR maps up a while back because I used Excel to determine my BEN. I had modified the BEN equation becasue I wanted to apply only a fraction of the correction to avoid overshoot. So, I made a spreadsheet, which is probably still posted on here somewhere...

Chalky
July 11th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Is that the Interpolation SS?

If not I am still confused aboiut following then:

SSpdDmon
July 11th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Is that the Interpolation SS? No, I never got around to trying that out. :Eyecrazy:

If not I am still confused about following then:

Focus on #3. That is the BEN map that is made in the link I provided above. That is where you copy and paste>multiply the (filterd) results to your VE table. That map shows you the % error between what was commanded by the PCM and what was read by your WBO2.

#1 will show you ONLY your AFR recorded from your WB compared to MAP & RPM (i.e. VE format) in your log. Instead of a % error, you're just looking at AFR's.

#2 will show you ONLY the PCM commanded AFR compared to MAP & RPM in your log.

If you copy/paste the results of a log from #1 and #2 into Excel, then you can manipulate the BEN equation to only apply a portion of the correction. The standard BEN equation targets perfection. In other words, it's trying for 0% LTFTs (if they were enabled). What if you wanted to shoot for -2% LTFTs? That's why I made my Excel spreadsheet. Then, it grew into what it is below...

Chalky
July 11th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Got it. I do have your SS from previous efforts.

I just have to remember to keep the hit count up in all cells. Finally figured out results are much better when your keep cell counts on the high side.

SSpdDmon
July 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Got it. I do have your SS from previous efforts.

I just have to remember to keep the hit count up in all cells. Finally figured out results are much better when your keep cell counts on the high side.

Didn't I have that in the instructions?? :lol:

Chalky
July 11th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Didn't I have that in the instructions?? :lol:

No doubt. My problem is CRS and ADD.:D