PDA

View Full Version : 2008 LS3 tun. file Wanted

RonC
July 18th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Would anyone have a 2008 LS3 file that they would share with me? GM says in their specs release that;

" The camshaft timing was revised to optimize performance with the higher-lift intake cam profile".
I would to see how the LS3 cam timing differs from the L92 and see if I can use it in mine.

Thanks,
Ron

GMPX
July 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Ron, the LS3 does not use the variable cam timing. Did you mean the 2008 L92 (Escalde etc?).

Cheers,
Ross

RonC
July 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Ron, the LS3 does not use the variable cam timing. Did you mean the 2008 L92 (Escalde etc?).

Cheers,
Ross

No Ross, I was quoting what I found on another forum about the 2008 LS3 Corvette specs;

Breathing for the new 6.2L engine is accomplished via new, high-flow cylinder heads. They're based on the large port/large valve design found on the LS7 engine and other GM L92 engines, with larger-capacity, straighter intake ports. The design optimizes intake flow to the combustion chamber and the exhaust ports are also designed for better flow...........

.........To accommodate the engine's large valves and enable more direct intake port flow, the intake-side rocker arms are offset 6 mm between the valve tip and the push rod. Actuating the valves is a new camshaft, with intake-side lobes providing more than a 5-percent percent in increase in lift, from 0.521-inch to 0.551-inch (13.25 mm to 14 mm). Exhaust-valve lift remains unchanged from the LS2. The camshaft timing was revised to optimize performance with the higher-lift intake cam profile.

I assumed the LS3 had VVT as does the L92 and it meant revised variable cam timing and I read that into it. I guess I was wrong, but I wonder why they didn't use VVT? It would seem to me to be a big plus for performance. Are there any VVT tables at all or are they just turned off?

GMPX
July 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I think they are simply saying the mechanical profile of the cam was changed.
Even if you enable the VVT in the calibrations if the engine is not fitted with the mechanical parts to perform VVT it will probably just throw a bunch of DTC's.

Cheers,
Ross

RonC
July 19th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I think they are simply saying the mechanical profile of the cam was changed.
Even if you enable the VVT in the calibrations if the engine is not fitted with the mechanical parts to perform VVT it will probably just throw a bunch of DTC's.

Cheers,
Ross

I believe you are right about the cam profile change. I found a cutaway picture of the LS3 and there was no VVT actuator on the cam sprocket like the L92. Thanks again for the info.

Ron

GMPX
July 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM
You would think on something like the LS3 they would run it. Afterall, the Vette is exported into Europe where it is competing against some high spec motors. Even if it just makes the marketing hype look a little better....

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
July 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
yeah but none of the high spec motors have 6.2L most are a lot less.
Mind you the new M3 engine looks sexual. 12:1 compression etc and a very high redline.

RonC
July 20th, 2007, 01:04 AM
That's why I just knew the LS3 had to have VVT like the L92, but I was wrong. Maybe VVT will be a future "upgrade" for the Vette or Camaro.