PDA

View Full Version : Any way to unlock LS2 edit vehicles?

Alvin
July 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Are they just changing the seed values? If so do you think the seed value is going to be different each time its flashed?

GMPX
July 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Alvin I don't know. As you know it is possible to enter in your own Key for EFILive to use in these situations but of course knowing the key is the problem.

I've not had an LS2Edit locked ECM to interrogate so I don't know what they are doing.

Cheers,
Ross

Alvin
July 18th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Heres a question.. Is it impossible to read the file if the seed has been changed?

There are alot of these controllers floating around that are unlockable because no-one can find the orginal tuner. That is a big problem for the E40 which aren't plentiful like the E67

GMPX
July 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Heres a question.. Is it impossible to read the file if the seed has been changed?

Nothing is impossible, it's the level of difficulty!
Using software to read the ECM is pretty much out of the question.
Removing the chip is an option but on the E38/E67 this is not financially viable. It's a major job just getting to the flash chip and (from my own experience) accidently lifting the BGA mounted CPU is a real possibility (scrap yard once that happens).

There are alot of these controllers floating around that are unlockable because no-one can find the orginal tuner. That is a big problem for the E40 which aren't plentiful like the E67

I can appreciate that, the E40 was a bit of a short run. I was not aware LS2Edit also locked the E40.

Cheers,
Ross

geoff
July 20th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Nothing is impossible, it's the level of difficulty!

I can appreciate that, the E40 was a bit of a short run. I was not aware LS2Edit also locked the E40.

Cheers,
Ross

Seems just like 1998 all over again...

PladdPezzPunk
July 24th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I've heard of running a full reflash without reading the tune to unlock it. would this work at all or is there any other way of unlocking the pcm's.
or disconnecting power during the initial flash to screw the computer then full reflash to recover?
(may be a stupid question but i figured i'de throw it out there anyways.)

VYSSLS1
July 24th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I've heard of running a full reflash without reading the tune to unlock it. would this work at all or is there any other way of unlocking the pcm's.
or disconnecting power during the initial flash to screw the computer then full reflash to recover?
(may be a stupid question but i figured i'de throw it out there anyways.)

I highly doubt it as the bootloader wouldnt even let it start, is this correct.

GMPX
July 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM
If the controller is locked with an altered seed/key then you can't read OR write. You are stuck.

Cheers,
Ross

PladdPezzPunk
July 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM
how about deleting or shorting it to damage the data?

Blacky
July 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
how about deleting or shorting it to damage the data?
Nope, you'll just end up with a doorstop.

In order to reprogram the ECM the tuning software MUST send the correct* key to the ECM to allow a bootloader program to be loaded into the ECM's RAM. That bootloader program is then responsible for communicating with the PC tuning software and for erasing and reprogramming the ECM's memory. If the tuning software does not send the correct key, then the ECM will not allow the bootloader to be loaded into RAM.

*The correct key is whatever key was last programmed into the ECM.

Even if you could somehow damage the software/data in the ECM without damaging the hardware, then chances are very high that the PC tuning software will not even get as far as sending the key to unlock the ECM - let alone loading the bootloader into the ECM.

Interesting side note: The early LS1's had a "back door" that allowed the seed/key to be bypassed, but GM "fixed" it in the later LS1 PCMs.

Regards
Paul

Alvin
July 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
What are the different types of locks you might encounter. For instance.. if it isn't a seed lock what can it be?

GMPX
July 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't really know, seed/key is the most effective.

Cheers,
Ross

PladdPezzPunk
July 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM
i was hoping to hear a response like your last comment in reguards to these pcms. thank you very much for the info man. Greatly appreciated.

1meangto
July 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Well now I am having the same problem with still no solution. If I can find out the ls2 edit seed key will efilive unlock it? Well I have used ls1 edit a few times and have talked to the guys there before so I just sent them a email to see if they will help us out in any way.

Blacky
July 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM
Well now I am having the same problem with still no solution. If I can find out the ls2 edit seed key will efilive unlock it?

Yes I believe so, although you only need to supply the EFILive unlock software with the key value. The seed value is ignored when locking/unlocking. The seed value is only used when the controller is not locked.

Regards
Paul

1meangto
July 31st, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yes I believe so, although you only need to supply the EFILive unlock software with the key value. The seed value is ignored when locking/unlocking. The seed value is only used when the controller is not locked.

Regards
Paul
Thanks and here is the answer I got from ken.

Mike,

The current LS2-edit locks by default, But the tuner can check a box
to not lock the file. We are working on a release that will unlock by
default and make the programmer select lock if needed. The default
setting has caused problems were tuners don't realize they are locking.
Any LS2-edit tuner can unlock the E40 ECM.

Ken

GMPX
July 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM
Any LS2-edit tuner can unlock the E40 ECM.

Ken

??, perhaps not worded correctly? 'ANY' LS2Edit tuner?

Cheers,
Ross

1meangto
August 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM
??, perhaps not worded correctly? 'ANY' LS2Edit tuner?

Cheers,
Ross
Yeah that doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it. Well they would not give me the key to unlock it so I'm assuming it cannot be done with efilive. But I did get the ecm unlocked by the original tuner today and yes I can read the tune!!!!

GMPX
August 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
Perhaps the reason Ken did this was not to stop other LS2Edit users from downloading others programs but to stop the ECM's getting programmed by the dealer? If any Edit user can unlock it I can't see it being a complex process.

Cheers,
Ross

1meangto
August 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Yes this is why he said he did that in a later email. But he also said a tech 2 will overwrite the lock so theres no point in the lock.

mr.prick
August 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
ls1edit:bawl:

1meangto
August 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
ls2edit:bawl: :bawl:

1meangto
August 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I started tuning the car. It has a very large cam and I'm having trouble with the car returning to idle. It hunts for the idle forever it doesn't die but wants to. It is better than the tune he had but not much.

GMPX
August 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Still, it was the first package out there, yes it had it's flaws (I think I fixed about 50 PCM's that got fried with it) but it did allow the LS1 to step up to the next level. Much better than modified MAF's and ECT sensor foolers or even worse piggy back modules that were also around at the time.

Cheers,
Ross