PDA

View Full Version : HPTuners is fired. Please help me setup w/EFI Live

TFZ_Z06
July 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I am going to sell my hptuners equip and UPGRADE to EFI Live. What package do you guys recommend for an 02 Z06? I would like flash ability and datalogging too. Thinking about the RR, don't know yet.

Thanks.

Beer99C5
July 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the forum

For just the Z06 and no further tuning needs for the future, V1 will work for ya.

I started w/ V1 Scan for my 99 C5 and worked my way up through all the upgrades as I wanted more and more, as I learned more...Running V2 now (and anxiously awaiting the Black Box logging for V2 so I do not need my laptop in car...)

V2 has some cool features and more stuff coming, if your gonna possibly go to a C-6 in the future I would go V2.

:cheers:

TAQuickness
July 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the forum TFZ!

Beer nailed it - V1 will work, but what are your future plans? I personally would go with a V2 unit. The Road Runner is bad ass and will work with either V1 or V2.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. We're all here to help.

TFZ_Z06
July 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the forum TFZ!

Beer nailed it - V1 will work, but what are your future plans? I personally would go with a V2 unit. The Road Runner is bad ass and will work with either V1 or V2.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. We're all here to help.

Thanks. This is a pleasant change.

V1 = $300
V2 = $749

Those numbers look right? V1 does wideband input right?

Plans:

Wideband usage
Nitrous
I have a cam,heads, exhaust setup right now. You know how it goes. gotta add more, more, more.

Beer99C5
July 19th, 2007, 12:38 AM
V1 has 2, 0-5 V inputs
V2 has 4, 0-5 V inputs

I have Fuel Pressure hooked up through the EGR on the PCM (can do it as one of the inputs), a Wideband on one, and plan on Nitrous Bottle pressure for the other (Dynotune Sending unit does not have the resolution needed, going with an autometer sending unit).

With Nitrous you may want to read up on OS 5 features (its free and works w/ V1 or V2).

kbracing96
July 19th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Last I checked, V1 scan and tune is $549. :)

http://www.greenlightmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=22_37_44

Doc
July 19th, 2007, 02:42 AM
For your stated goals I would recommend the commercial version. (Note, not the Workshop).

joecar
July 19th, 2007, 02:43 AM
TFZ, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

V1 is an excellent choice (and it does black box logging).

Cheers,
Joe

kbracing96
July 19th, 2007, 02:46 AM
For your stated goals I would recommend the commercial version. (Note, not the Workshop).

Scan only and commercial is all you can get now in a v1 there is no more personal version :)

SSpdDmon
July 19th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Although there are some unique things that each software producer does (Road Runner vs RTT, custom OS, etc.), they're very similar in what you can change. If you've used one, you're more than halfway to learning the other.

That aside I must say, not to tute our own horn, but what we have over here is a good group of knowledgeable people that can help you in your efforts. Hope to see you sticking around....best choice I've made to date. :)

joecar
July 19th, 2007, 04:28 AM
You probably already know that you can test drive the actual scan/tune tool software without having any hardware:
http://store.efilive.com/download.aspx

dfe1
July 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM
If all you're ever going to do is tune your Z06, V1 is obviously more than adequate. However, down the road when stand-alone scanning and tuning is available for the V2, you may regret your decision to purchase V1. Unless your budget is really tight, I think it would be foolish not to step up to V2. That way, you'll be able to scan and tune every type of vehicle EFILive supports, and if you're so disposed, you can earn part or all of the cost back by tuning a few other vehicles. You can obviously do that with V1 as well, but V2 provides many more options.

For what it's worth, I have an '01 C5 with quite a few mods, running Custom Operating system 5. If you need some help with your '02, let me know.

joecar
July 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Oh, and the custom OS's are free, as are the software updates (and the firmware updates).

TFZ_Z06
July 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Oh, and the custom OS's are free, as are the software updates (and the firmware updates).

Tuners,

I sense a lot of open minds and great ideas from this forum.
Glad to hear that about the operating systems. I like to experiment and this will allow me to do so without restrictions. I am the type of person that likes to constantly tune my car, trying new things as I go.

TFZ_Z06
July 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
DONE. V2 FlashScan ordered. Thats probably the best $750 I've ever spent. To follow up with RoadRunner soon. Software looks real good. I downloaded a demo.

TAQuickness
July 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
DONE. V2 FlashScan ordered. Thats probably the best $750 I've ever spent. To follow up with RoadRunner soon. Software looks real good. I downloaded a demo.

:D You can say that again!

joecar
July 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
:cheers:

There's some tutorials if you feel like reading:
http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads6

VetPet
July 20th, 2007, 01:04 AM
TFZ 06, Welcome to the 'family'! Once you're in, you can never get out...:muahaha:

Seriously, you've made a great choice and will find that the members here are knowledgeable, helpful, and always willing to share their experiences. out. It's a great forum.....You won't be dissapointed with your decision.

Congrats! :cheers:

TFZ_Z06
July 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
In so many cases, its hard to know who you are communicating with, so for the first time I thought I would introduce myself so that when I ask questions you guys would know sorta have an idea who I am. I think most people assumme a little too much on the internet.

I'm 45, have been tuning cars since 1974. My first car was an early 70's Chevy Truck w/283 my dad bought me. I rebuilt that engine from a pile of junk in the bed to include hand lapping the stock valves, etc. I later picked up a 69 Mustang, 68 Nova, 74 Duster, rebuilt then all, then entered the college years where I had to drive a FORD Pinto 4cyl to survive.
(How did this happen? :eek: ) After my college years :beer: , I personally built several blown Mustangs ( 302(numerous), 351, 427 ), all of which I built and installed engines, trans,tuned, etc). In a few cases, I welded and mfg my own exhaust.

Finally getting tired of yanking engines twice a year, along comes the 03 Z06 and I had to have it. I knew by the design of the engine these motors had potential. I cam and headed it within 12,000 miles, then tuned it with LS1 Edit the only thing avail at the time. Now, I'm on my 2nd Z06, an 02. Its my favorite and I look forward to tuning it with EFI Live. My current setup is
TFS Heads, Kooks Headers and Comp Cam. Its put down 450/424 up to this point.

I have a good working knowledge of tuning these cars by using LS1 Edit and HP Tuners, but I can see by looking at the EFI Live software and users commments on this site, that is going to improve dramatically.

At heart, I'm a mechanical junky. I will take anything apart and try to make it better. I love tampering w/the tuning just to see results (hopefully more hp!) and I enjoy reading detailed posts about other tuner's success and cars, ideas, etc.

Get ready for some NOOB questions! Thanks to the guy who linked the tuturials. That was interesting reading that I'm still looking at.

Paul B.

Blacky
July 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Paul B.

Paul B? - now that's a good start :notacrook:

Regards
Paul Blackmore

ringram
July 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Can I be cheeky and ask what made you want to change to efilive?
Might help the marketing crowd out :)

TFZ_Z06
July 21st, 2007, 08:21 AM
Can I be cheeky and ask what made you want to change to efilive?
Might help the marketing crowd out :)

Since you asked, I will be as factual as I can:

I asked their moderators two straightforward questions with intent to purchase products. What I received in the end after several times asking was one purchase, excessive hostility, no answer to my second question, and banned from their website for a week for tuning them up in response to their answers. As a prior USAF Capt (with respect to the other countries/continents represented on this board) that served over 8 years active duty, I know disrespect when I read it. I've always been one to make my point and then come to some type of agreement. At this point, I would rather pay for GM's own software than use anything they have. Just for the record, when they first started their product, they were ok deal with.
I don't think this is the case anymore.

Undisputed fact: The same person I had problems with not answering my questions, drivelled on in a long paragraph about how EFI Live had problems with connections, etc. I don't seem to recall anyone from EFI Live disrespecting their product. If they even had a product this advanced, maybe they would experience the same problems too? Oh wait, they don't.
What they do have is $50 per operating system and harassment when you ask about it. Thanks very little. Its ok to tute your horn, but this poster spent more time referencing EFI Live problems than answering my question. In fact, he personally never answered my question and he/others from their company were infuriated apparently that I asked. Why??? I just wanted to buy something and I wanted a direct answer!

On the contrary, I made one post on this board. So far, several posters warmed me in to the site, the owner responded himself, and I got a call from EFI Live already. This far exceeds any service I received from HP Tuners.

By the way, I don't think the owners/members of EFI Live need to respond to the comments made about their product though because the other guys are doing an excellent job of destroying their own credentials without any help.

other undisputed facts: In another instance, I saw that one of their moderators was bragging on the ls1tech site about his car after the thread starter mentioned he was having problems with a narrow lobe cam. Instead of offering a solution, he bragged about how wonderful his car was. In my opinion, it was done in a bashing way. I didn't care for this. On their own website, I've read several instances of posters feeling they were abused just for asking questions. I know I did. This is really uncalled for. Even worse, you can't really get help to questions or even have a normal discussion on matters in this type of setting.

In summary, I don't want problems like this in the fun part of my life. I do this for relaxation.

:wave: HP Tuners. Hello advanced, customer service oriented tuning.

TAQuickness
July 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM
TFZ - somethings never change. What you just described is almost verbatim the experience I had over two years ago when I was looking to start tuning.

But the good news is you've empowered yourself with the best GM tuning suite in the world. Happy tuning

dfe1
July 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
We're probably beating a dead horse here, but the behavior of the HPT "elite" is fairly typical of small minded people who are running scared. They know that EFILive is clearly a superior product and they can only compete by bad-mouthing it. That's understandable on the part of the owners, but some of the obnoxious folk wouldn't lose a thing, besides their "exalted" moderator status if HPT went out of business. But I guess if you don't have much talent and live an incredibly average life, being a big shot on a forum is a big deal.

Like some of the other people in this forum, I've taken a few shots at the HPT elitists, (and I consider it an honor that I was also banned from LS1tech for a week.) but it really pisses me off when they take cheap shots. Paul and Ross have put forth an unbelievable effort in creating and upgrading FlashScan. As if that isn't enough, they go above and beyond time and again, trying to help anyone with a problem.

As TFZ suggests, the best thing anyone can do is to ignore the little people. They won't go away, but we can hope.

Black02SS
July 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
As someone once told me (several times), just let it go. :)

Chevy366
July 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
I to almost got band from LS1tech , for bashing a sponsor , but they deserved it .
Took the money and run and I still did not get what I paid for .
Like they say "fool me once shame on you . fool me twice shame on me" .
I really can't say if EFILive is superior or not but I saw HPTuners and did not like it , was much more at home with EFILive .

Doc
July 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Dittoheads, TFZO6, an organization that is deeply ingrained in my soul, espouses an Lifestyle that I see represented everyday on this board which, is Honor, Courage, and Commitment. This, (EFI Live) is the real deal.

Chuck L.
July 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
DFE1 said: "(and I consider it an honor that I was also banned from LS1tech for a week.) but it really pisses me off when they take cheap shots".
You MUST refrain from aggravating wonder boy, "Whorist", or the ban will become permanent.:bash:
Before you allow that to happen, think of all the teenie boppers that will miss your sick humor!!:bawl:
And, I may be forced to join you in the "land of the banned", as a result of the "guilt by association" phenom...:muahaha:

johnsZ06
July 25th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Hi Paul!

I'm retired AF here and just want to welcome you to the site and congrats on making the switch.

First of all, I love EFILive and think they have a wonderful product and great customer support. I know that's been beat to death but I just had to say it anyway.

Secondly, I have a head and cammed 02 Zo6 with 440/402 and I would be more than happy to share the tune with you if you would like to make some comparisons.

If there is anything I can help you with, just let me know.

John

mistermike
July 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the forum! You input will be especially valuable here, particularly regarding "translating" HPT terminology into EFILive terminology. There actually are some good people using the other guys system, but sometimes the language barrier makes it more difficult than necessary to get useful info from their posts.

Regarding LS1ToyBox, I used to have my posts edited / deleted by Whorist whenever I mentioned EFI Live back before Paul was a sponsor, even though dealers who are sponsors there sold EFI Live at the time, so technically I wasn't in violation of forum rules. He's a small minded bigot and an HPT nutswinger on a power trip. I believe EMARKAY was permabanned over there. The recent sale of their board to Internet Brands only reaffirms what most real car guys knew the board was all about anyhow.
It's always been pretty obvious which sponsors were supplying the owners with freebies by watching what kind of criticism consistantly got squelched.

TFZ_Z06
July 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Ok, I upgraded my firmware, read the pcm, and scanned data.
I'm ready for some tuning now. V2 is nice. I haven't read up on it yet, but it appears you can download 20 files to the V2 box for later download w/no laptop??

I almost forgot. DAM* this is nice.

Thanks.