PDA

View Full Version : Continuing V2 Problems

hrodgmc
July 21st, 2007, 04:41 AM
Rather than waiting for emails that have been no help, I'll see if others have this same paperweight.

Just updated from the most current 'stable' version, and again have the same issues with LLY and LBZ Bosch ECMs I had a couple months back. I'm probably one of the few that have 'stream' purchased for these ?

When I updated initially this past December/January the V2 was working fine. Then (crap) I downloaded an update. Everything worked fine EXCEPT anything BOSCH ecm related.

After sending (3) V2 units back and forth (yes 3 of 'em) over a 3 month period of continual hassle, I discovered the problem with how the software will install if you run it from a CD.

Stupid me...I thought I should update to the latest version again this past week.

Whether that was coincidence or not yet, I still can't verify as I've tried again to duplicate what was wrong last time, and it still won't work. I get the same error as though I'm not even connected. "CONNECTION TO ECM HAS BEEN LOST. PLEASE CHECK ALL CABLES, PLUGS and CONNECTIONS, Make sure the ignition is switched on, then try again" .... and again, and again.

I can read and program any other computer OTHER THAN an 2006-2007 LLY or 2006-2007 LBZ BOSCH ecms. So I'd think it unlikely its a V2 problem, unless it can no longer work with any CAN communications.
Is there some kind of listing somewhere to see what might be missing in my 'install' so I can see what files are 'supposed to be there ?

Yes, I've verified my 'stream' information. I'd assume an error if you gave me the wrong stream info.
Updating firmware didn't solve anything.
Yes, I've selected the correct controller. Geez....c'mon ?
Yes, I've just again installed the newest software.
Yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest FTDI drivers again (10th time at least).:Eyecrazy:

I can program these same Bosch ECM's on the bench with GM's SPS system all day long, but can't read them out again with EFILive. I do NOT have this problem with your competitors' software on a separate computer (I knew you'd ask if it was on the same computer).

Matt

Blacky
July 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hi Matt,

When you had the units replaced, did you also have the cable between FlashScan and the vehicle replaced? There may be fault in the CAN pins/wires in the cable. Does the scanner work on the same vehicles that report this error? That would show if the actual cable is faulty or not.

Which version of the software are you running.

The latest V7.4.2 version has build numbers:
EFILive_Scan.exe build 534
ObdiiV7.dll build 666
EFILive_Tune.exe build 657
FlashScan Firmware version 2.4.60It has been uploaded to our web site but the link has not been published yet. The links will be posted on our main web site download page and in this forum shortly: http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67 (look for a new post dated today).

If you re-run the installation program and select the repair option, it will verify all files in the install and correct any missing or damaged files.

Regards
Paul

Doc
July 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Not to sound like a tool or a stooge but given the experiences you have related, the first thing in my mind was what about the cable?

I own a stream too, big deal. I have never gotten the impression that, that means anything in EFI Live's eyes/mind/forum beyond what a user/ customer that only has the most elementry of EFI Live product. You don't have to pass a test or anything just, pay for it.

Ok, I am not calling you out on this....you decided to make this matter public.

I will say publicly that I do have some constructive critisim of the V2 with regard to the cables; Both cables (To laptop and to Data port from the V2) are prone to becoming unseated, as they donot have a positive locking mechanism, which can cause weird stuff like what has been described in this thread all too often in my expirence.

Fortuneatly, my 17+ years with working on US Navy Fighter planes has taught me to be overly suspicious of intermitent connections.

Throwing out the "Competition" comment only reinforces my belief that if you can make it work with something else then, you should be able to make it work with Live.

Wether you intended it or not; I interpreted this post as a flame or threat,(take it for what it's worth) which IMHO is totally uncalled for as I feel that this site/product is the best out there as far as communication btw members/ members/ company sharing ideas/knowledge.

And with that blowhard rant, I still would like to offer any further help as a fellow EFI Live member/customer.

:beer:

hrodgmc
July 23rd, 2007, 01:13 AM
Hi Matt,

When you had the units replaced, did you also have the cable between FlashScan and the vehicle replaced? There may be fault in the CAN pins/wires in the cable. Does the scanner work on the same vehicles that report this error? That would show if the actual cable is faulty or not.

Which version of the software are you running.

The latest V7.4.2 version has build numbers:

EFILive_Scan.exe build 534
ObdiiV7.dll build 666
EFILive_Tune.exe build 657
FlashScan Firmware version 2.4.60It has been uploaded to our web site but the link has not been published yet. The links will be posted on our main web site download page and in this forum shortly: http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67 (look for a new post dated today).

If you re-run the installation program and select the repair option, it will verify all files in the install and correct any missing or damaged files.

Regards
Paul

Everything was working fine till the past software update.

I'll try the new download...sorry for anything negative, I'm just very frustrated. :help2:

Matt.

hrodgmc
July 23rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Not to sound like a tool or a stooge but given the experiences you have related, the first thing in my mind was what about the cable?

I own a stream too, big deal. I have never gotten the impression that, that means anything in EFI Live's eyes/mind/forum beyond what a user/ customer that only has the most elementry of EFI Live product. You don't have to pass a test or anything just, pay for it.

Ok, I am not calling you out on this....you decided to make this matter public.

I will say publicly that I do have some constructive critisim of the V2 with regard to the cables; Both cables (To laptop and to Data port from the V2) are prone to becoming unseated, as they donot have a positive locking mechanism, which can cause weird stuff like what has been described in this thread all too often in my expirence.

Fortuneatly, my 17+ years with working on US Navy Fighter planes has taught me to be overly suspicious of intermitent connections.

Throwing out the "Competition" comment only reinforces my belief that if you can make it work with something else then, you should be able to make it work with Live.

Wether you intended it or not; I interpreted this post as a flame or threat,(take it for what it's worth) which IMHO is totally uncalled for as I feel that this site/product is the best out there as far as communication btw members/ members/ company sharing ideas/knowledge.

And with that blowhard rant, I still would like to offer any further help as a fellow EFI Live member/customer.

:beer:

That was basically stated because I keep getting told it's my connection, computer or ... I don't even think it's the V2 unit (couldn't have gotten 4 bad ones). It's possibly how XP is registering the program info, too...just not sure. I'm going to try the latest. It's just had a lot of bugs for me from the word go.

Matt.

hrodgmc
July 23rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
JUst installed the latest update, and rechecked firmware. I still get the same message as though it's not connected to the ECM.

If I query the Bosch ECM directly (Engine controller info) from the V2 unit, I get the following on the V2 screen.

VIN: ]
Serial: ' ]
BCC: <-
Hardware: 68222976

I've checked continuity on the cable (ethernet to ODB2/CAN)--each is good and no shorts.

If I query a non CAN vehicle (example) 2000 GM truck, I can read VIN, serial, BCC and ECM hardware number just fine, and I can download as well as reprogram to that ECM.

Whatever is wrong with this 4th V2 unit seems to be CAN based ?

Matt

joecar
July 23rd, 2007, 03:31 AM
If this has been asked before, then please ignore it...

Is laptop used for connection to vehicle being powered from its own battery, or from wall outlet, or from vehicle's own power...?

hrodgmc
July 23rd, 2007, 04:15 AM
Laptop or PC in the shop no difference.

I use a BK Precision lab powersupply through a RV battery as a buffer, at a constant 12.6 volts for the offboard ECM programming.

Laptop is plugged in when in the shop.

At any rate, that's not the problem.

Matt

hrodgmc
July 24th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Is there anything else to try as I cannott be without this V2 for another 2-3 weeks between shipping and sending and waiting for stream information.

Please help.:help2:

Matt

Blacky
July 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Hi Matt,

Using the Scan Tool software, connect to the CAN controller and select menu option: Info->PCM info. If an error occurs, please save the error report and email it to me. If an error does not occur, please generate one manually using menu option: File->Generate error report and email it to me.

Send to paul@efilive.com.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
One last option to try is to delete the registry settings for EFILive. These settings are NOT overwritten when installing a new version of EFILive.

Exit form ALL EFILive software.
Start->Run, enter regedit, click OK.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7
Delete the V7 key and all its subkeys

Star the Scan Tool software and EFILive will recreate the registry entries.

NOTE: You will lose various setup values such as window sizes, positions, data file folders, colors, toolbar positions etc. They will all be set back to installation defaults.

WARNING: Standard disclaimer when editing the registry: Be very careful, deleting the wrong registry entries can cause Windows to fail and require a full Windows re-install.

Regards
Paul

hrodgmc
July 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM
It's on the way back to you for testing. The scan tool portion actually has never worked on the Bosch ECM Duramax since I've owned it ?

Although between V2 units I was able to reprogram just fine.

Matt.

hrodgmc
July 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM
One last option to try is to delete the registry settings for EFILive. These settings are NOT overwritten when installing a new version of EFILive.

Exit form ALL EFILive software.
Start->Run, enter regedit, click OK.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7
Delete the V7 key and all its subkeys

Star the Scan Tool software and EFILive will recreate the registry entries.

NOTE: You will lose various setup values such as window sizes, positions, data file folders, colors, toolbar positions etc. They will all be set back to installation defaults.

WARNING: Standard disclaimer when editing the registry: Be very careful, deleting the wrong registry entries can cause Windows to fail and require a full Windows re-install.

Regards
Paul

If the V2 unit will not correctly ID the ECM, (see previous post) would that be a computer registry error ?

Matt

Blacky
July 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Not likely, but there is a slight chance that some coms settings got altered or not set correctly. CAN coms and VPW coms work at different speeds and have different timeouts and delays, so (clutching at straws) I thought that if you were able to reset all comms settings to stock it may help.

The specific timings I was thinking of are here:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7\Properties\ Adv
They can also be changed in the Scan Tool Properties window on the [Advanced] tab page.

Did you send the unit to EFILive in NZ or to a reseller in the US? If you sent it here, I will personally test the replacement unit to make sure it is working 110%. I will also try to figure out what is wrong with the unit you send back.

Regards
Paul

If the V2 unit will not correctly ID the ECM, (see previous post) would that be a computer registry error ?
Matt

hrodgmc
July 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Thanks, Paul.

You guys are the best -- I hope you can find the problem ! I feel like my left arm is off right now.

Matt