PDA

View Full Version : A hiccup tune every once in a while.

dbaxter_ss
May 31st, 2005, 02:18 PM
I know this happened every once in a while with LS1edit and now I swear its happening with EFI.

Every once in a while a tune that is flash, just isn't right. Its weird...

I put a tune on this morning before going to work, logged on the way in and everything worked outstanding. Startup roared to life and ran great.

I made 1 set of changes to the WOT pe + .1 and flashed after work.

It ran like crap starting up, and just ran rough.

Little gremlins running lose in the PCM?

Before with ls1edit you would just reflash with the prior tune and it was happy again. Take the same tune that ran rough, flash again and it was also happy.

Well I would swear that same gremlin is doing the same thing?

Anyone else see this???

Its once in a blue moon to happen, but my gto and ss have both had this happen.

wait4me
May 31st, 2005, 02:33 PM
The pcm contains Checksums and if those are incorrect the pcm would know. So, If the pcm got a bad flash, i think you would know it. It only takes one byte to be off for the checksum to be invalid, unless it is the 4000 to 8000 section But that section has nothing to do with performance. I dont know what could be the problem?? Have you done a read of the weird acting program? If it ever happens again, send it to me asap, ill go thru the whole thing and check for problems... :)

dbaxter_ss
May 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM
I just put all 3 up on my server, have at it.

05.tun good on flashed this morning
06.tun one flashed this afternoon with only engine cal\fuel\mixture\pe modifier based on RPM up .1 over the last tune. No other changes.

bad tune.tun is the one just read that should match .06.

here is what loading the alt tuning file differences says.

Calibrations containing values that differ*, between the current calibration
and C:\Documents and Settings\dbaxter\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Logged data\2G1FP32G712109646\TUNES\bad tune ss.tun
*Values that differ by more than 0.0001 are considered different.

All calibrations are identical.

Although in file size the one just read is 1kb smaller ( I would assume accounting for notes that I put into the other files?? ) Or that is the missing weirdness. But now that I look all my other files are 473kb also and the one read is 472kb.
Hope you find something

http://www.purplegto.com/files/TUNES.zip

dbaxter_ss
June 8th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I have a question, flashed again today making simple changes to the fans and cots off.
I flashed the tune, and sat for about 5 minutes playing around with scan and some maps I wanted to watch on the way into work.
It ran great.

Something that I may be doing ( most likely) is not waiting long enough ( 15-20 seconds )

So what is the impact of not waiting long enough after flashing a tune and starting the car?

Dirk Diggler
June 8th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I notice this happens when i dont turn the car off and wait after a flash.

Blacky
June 8th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Turning off the ignition after a reflash is *very* important.

The bootloader code that EFILive loads into the PCM to control the reflash process is loaded into the PCM's RAM. That is the same RAM that is used by the PCM when it is running. It contains thousands of runtime values and parameters that the PCM uses to "run the engine".

If you do not cycle the ignition, then the 5K (or so) of RAM that EFILive overwrites will contain garbage. The PCM will not operate correctly without that memory being reinitialized. Cycling the ignition forces a RAM refresh and the PCM will re-initialize the data in the RAM.

So I highly recommend cycling the ignition prior to starting the engine after any reflash or locking operation.

Regards
Paul

dbaxter_ss
June 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Ok, I BETCHA this is that little gremlin I was talking about.

Every once in a while I most likely ( and others ) did not completely cycle and got the strange behavior.