PDA

View Full Version : What EFILive package to get?

Whodunnit
July 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Heya folks!

I'm new and I don't own an EFILive Programmer yet, but I'm quite interested in what I see here, ...but I'm am a bit confused as to what I'm going to need. Can you help?

I'd like to be able to:
- Check trouble codes
- Make corrections for larger tires (aside from the speedometer scale is there anything else I should be adjusting) (I saw a post in the forums about this but the thread wasn't conclusive about how to do this)
- If possible, improve my torque, power and MPG (is this a different software package?)

I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ 4.2L I6. I live in CA so I'd like whatever changes I do to be able to pass CARB smog inspection.

Which package would be best for me? It sounds like most people are really happy with this method (over the Jet-PCM), so I'm willing to give it a try...

Thank you for your help!

- bret

Tordne
July 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Just replied to your inquiry :)

ringram
July 25th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Almost limitless flexibility with efilive too.
You will be almost overwhelmed for choice of what to change!

Whodunnit
August 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks folks! Thought I'd share my update and generally positive experience thus far.

I received my brand new V2 and am very excited about all the possibilities! Having dealt some with '85 ECU's I still can't get over how sophisticated these little deals have become. Communication through to the laptop seems very quick.

It looks like the standalone functionality is limited to checking and resetting DTC's, but a black-box logging function is soon to become available as well. As far as the software-based scanner and tuner, so far most things look pretty good. I’m able to connect to the ECU, check settings, check and clear DTC’s, download .tun’s, etc…all looks great with one exception I’m still trying to resolve (a problem in which the EFI Live software locks up when I click the button to “Start Monitoring Real-time Data” or “Start Recording Real-Time Data” until I disconnect the cable from the laptop to the V2 or Cntl-Alt-Del and force the software to close).

I am right now working on resolving a few DTC’s I’ve found, then I look forward to beginning the real fun!

- bret

P.S. I have a 2003 Trailblazer 4.2L (LTZ 4x4) so I’ll download the tun and send it in for the community archives before I start the tweakin. Hope this helps!

joecar
August 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Bret, so can you get real time monitoring/recording to work...?

ScarabEpic22
August 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Make sure you validate the PIDs with the V2 hooked to the TB and then select a set of PIDs (less than 24) then click monitor. Took me a while to figure it out when I first started.

And make sure you keep a stock tune (or multiple ones) in a safe place! Dont want to not be able to go back to stock...

Whodunnit
August 14th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Yup, I read to try that in the forums last night, tried it this morning and IT WORKED! Recorded my first log file this morning. I even started to diagnose the rough spots in my idle, which were easy to monitor in the spark advance trend.

Oh... word to the wise, I'm sure it's been explained a hundred times already, but I also found that you have to click the "disconnect" button in the scanner software before you can "read calibration data" in the tuner software. Maybe saying it here as well will help the next guy.

- bret