PDA

View Full Version : Auto VE questions

Xtnct00WS6
July 31st, 2007, 08:59 AM
1. How can I tell when the AIR system is on? Was that part of the SD setup in table {B0701} "catalytic converter protection enable?

2. What RPM should I go to when doing the auto ve SD tune?

3. Does copy and paste work for you? I have to manually change the ve table by small amounts, otherwise it’ll over correct. I can't find any leaks that might cause this.

4. RPMs go down when I rev at a stop light – Throttle response isn’t that great at all either. What should I scan to correct this?

5. Could a bad VE table being either too rich or too lean cause KR?

Thanks!

SSpdDmon
July 31st, 2007, 09:32 AM
1. How can I tell when the AIR system is on? Was that part of the SD setup in table {B0701} "catalytic converter protection enable? No. AIR pump will stay on based on the settings in B0201-0207.

2. What RPM should I go to when doing the auto ve SD tune? 4,000rpm if you plan on re-enabling the MAF. You don't have to try to hit every cell. That's virtually impossible. Focus on the ones you hit or can hit under typical driving scenarios.

3. Does copy and paste work for you? I have to manually change the ve table by small amounts, otherwise it’ll over correct. I can't find any leaks that might cause this. That is a requested feature (coming soon hopefully). Until then, you can use an application like Excel to adjust your corrections. Just takes an equation or two to tweak the BENs.

4. RPMs go down when I rev at a stop light – Throttle response isn’t that great at all either. What should I scan to correct this? Did you try some of the adjustments I made in the idle tuning post in the tutorial section?

5. Could a bad VE table being either too rich or too lean cause KR? High timing or lean AFRs are typical sources for KR. Too much fuel shouldn't cause KR.

Thanks!

Xtnct00WS6
August 1st, 2007, 03:54 AM
Yeah..I tried a few of the suggestions in that thread. I didn't do the one titled: Adjusted Desired Idle Airflow. What did you mean by "Log your STIT's and LTIT's to perform the RAFIG process." Could you elaborate on how to do that? I'm not even sure what STIT, LTIT, and RAFIG is. Short and long term ___?

I haven't done anything below that first picture you posted either. I'll keep on, keepin' on...but I'll probably have a few more questions :) That was a great writeup by the way. It would have helped a lot to have all the table identifiers though. Thanks again.

SSpdDmon
August 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM
STIT's and LTIT's are your short/long term idle trims. RAFIG and RAFPN are calculated pids that log the total correction (STIT+LTIT) made to the Desired Idle Airflow Table. You need to log STIT/LTIT's for in gear a/c off in order for the RAFIG pid to become available....and STIT/LTIT's for park/nuetral for RAFPN to become available (RAFPN for A4 cars only).

Log those parameters from a cold start. Then, you look at the table in the tune to see where all of the coolant temp break points are. Different years or Op. Sys.'s will have different break points. Mine for example are:

68*F
90*F
111*F
133*F
154*F
176*F
198*F

I like to work on one cell at a time (only takes 5 minutes). So for the 176*F cell for example, I go back to my log and filter out any ECT's less than 175*F or ECT's greater than 177*F. Then, I look at the AVERAGE log of the RAFIG pid for 176*F. I then make that correction to the 176*F cell in the desired idle airflow table. Do that for all of the temps in the table you were able to hit. Then, guess-timate for the cells you weren't able to hit. That's the best you'll be able to do for them.

As for the table identifiers, you can search for the table by name if you can't find it. Just use the search box on the top left of the tuning software. ;)

Xtnct00WS6
August 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Ok...So I logged RAFIG and made a Map for it.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/extnctblkws6/Idle/RAFIG_grams_per_sec.jpg

This is what my Desired Airflow table looks like now:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/extnctblkws6/Idle/Desired_Airflow_B4307.jpg

So for 32 degrees C, I should add .85 to 14.532? What should I be looking for? I saw that Patrick G on ls1 tech said I should be around 7-8 g/sec range when warm. What about on a cold start?

If you look at the log I attached, you can see that it starts out really lean at idle! Why does it start so lean and then work itself out? I hope it's not like that when I switch back to using my MAF.

I also got a little bit of a knock problem. I'm not sure yet if that's my y pipe that's not secured down, that's hitting the floorboard. I'm redoing my exhaust here soon and will have it secured down pretty good.

What does RAFIG and RAFPN stand for anyways? __ Airflow in Gear and Park Neutral?

Thanks so much!

SSpdDmon
August 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM
#1 - (helpful tip) You shouldn't be logging more than 24 channels. It kills resolution in your logs. You have 33 channels tied up there.

#2 - Your map (any map) should look like the table in the tune that your trying to change. You should only have one column. For RAFIG adjustments, I made my column RPM referenced with ",8000" as the label. The rows should be labeled the same as the table in the tune (ECT's in the grey boxes on the left). The RAFIG pid is your data. But, the kicker is, I don't really use the map feature when changing desired idle airflow. I look at the charts on the dashboard's second page (page B). If you highlight a group of frames, it will display the high, low, and average for that selection. I use that to quickly determine the average RAFIG for a given ECT.

#3 - The average correction for each temp based on the log you attached should be as follows:

32*C = 0.00 (no correction in log)
44*C = +2.10 (add 2.1 to your table)
56*C = -5.10 (subtract from your table)
68*C = -3.80
80*C = -3.00
92*C = -3.00

Xtnct00WS6
August 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I must be setting my map up wrong. I get -1.328 at 44*C and .853 at 32*C. What do I need to change?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/extnctblkws6/Idle/RAFIG_grams_per_sec_8kRPM.jpg

Thanks for all your help

redhardsupra
August 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
check your units, are you in g/sec or lb/min?

Xtnct00WS6
August 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I made it all g/sec

SSpdDmon
August 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I probably should have been more clear earlier...responses have been edited.

In the 'map' view, the cells for each ECT will average the range between the various ECT's on the left. For example, the average RAFIG correction in your map for 44*C (-1.328grams/sec) is really the average correction for all temps between 38.1*C and 49.9*C.

What I explained to do was to look at 44*C and ignore all of the crap inbetween. When you filter out the data to show only 44*C, the average correction shows a different story (+2.1 grams/second). That's the data you want to use and that's why my number is different than yours. :)

Xtnct00WS6
August 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Thank you SSpdDmon, that last post really cleared it up! I appreciate the help. I'm just now getting around to making these changes though.

What did you mean that 33 channels (pids) will kill my resolution? Is my data not as accurate as it could be? I'm not sure how my logs would change from having 33 instead of 24 pids?

Thanks!

joecar
August 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
24 or less channels will update each pid 10 times/sec.
More than 24 channels will update each pid 5 times/sec or slower.

redhardsupra
August 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
yea but for idle stuff the slower resolution doesnt really matter, unless you're doing timing.

SSpdDmon
August 11th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Thank you SSpdDmon, that last post really cleared it up! I appreciate the help. I'm just now getting around to making these changes though.

What did you mean that 33 channels (pids) will kill my resolution? Is my data not as accurate as it could be? I'm not sure how my logs would change from having 33 instead of 24 pids?

Thanks!
Look @ the F8 tab in the scanner. Just below all of the pids, it tells you how many channels and how many pids are selected. Some pids have more than one channel. So, when I say less than 24 channels, it's like less than 20 pids. You just have to look at what you need and what you don't.

Doc
August 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Not to be a late comer to this thread but you (and anybody else parousing this thread) should check out all the nice preconfigured MAPs already set up. Really a nice touch that has been included in the last few releases of the software- Thanks Paul, Ross, et all.;)

You can do this by selecting the "Open a new MAP" button in the scan tool when you have the MAPs tab opened up. It is on the left hand top part of the screen with a folder and a little colorful film strip looking thingy.

Sorry I don't have enough time to post up a screen shot, gotta get ready for a carshow.

Xtnct00WS6
August 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
My idle is much better now. The engine doesn't shake like it used to! It's a night and day difference! Should I also do the same procedure for RAFPN?

I should have asked this a while ago, but which AFR should I be looking at? The AFR_LC11 which is under the 02-Wide "System", or the AFR_WB1 which is under the Fuel "System"? You can see they're different and they almost always are. The map I made is using AFR_LC11.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/extnctblkws6/Idle/AFR_LC1.jpg

Thanks!

SSpdDmon
August 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM
My idle is much better now. The engine doesn't shake like it used to! It's a night and day difference! Should I also do the same procedure for RAFPN?

I should have asked this a while ago, but which AFR should I be looking at? The AFR_LC11 which is under the 02-Wide "System", or the AFR_WB1 which is under the Fuel "System"? You can see they're different and they almost always are. The map I made is using AFR_LC11.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/extnctblkws6/Idle/AFR_LC1.jpg

Thanks!

If you have an M6, then you only have to do RAFIG. If you have an A4, you have to do RAFIG & RAFPN. Since you've already done RAFIG, copy over the In Gear column to the Park/Neutral column and use that as a starting point.

You need to use the pid that has the right equation for your WB. If you're running an LC1 with the factory calibration, then you pick the LC1 pid. If you reprogrammed your LC1 with the Innovate software, then you need to make a custom pid/equation that will interpret the voltage output to calculate an AFR.

Goldfinger911
August 30th, 2007, 04:28 AM
May be a dumb question, but when SSpdDemon said he references his RAFIG Map by RPM, then he chose 8000rpm... I thought you were supposed to match the Map to the table you are tuning in the Tuner tool?

When I log with the RAFIG pid, do I just let the car sit there and idle to fully warm? Or drive around?

If I am to reference the pid data by RPM, what RPM? Does the label matter?

I am in the same boat, learning as much as possible. :)

Thanks guys.

-GF

joecar
August 30th, 2007, 05:26 AM
If a table only has 1 column, you make that column be a pid that you're logging and you give it it's full range... otherwise the column will be undefined.

SSpdDmon
August 30th, 2007, 09:57 AM
May be a dumb question, but when SSpdDemon said he references his RAFIG Map by RPM, then he chose 8000rpm... I thought you were supposed to match the Map to the table you are tuning in the Tuner tool?

When I log with the RAFIG pid, do I just let the car sit there and idle to fully warm? Or drive around?

If I am to reference the pid data by RPM, what RPM? Does the label matter?

I am in the same boat, learning as much as possible. :)

Thanks guys.

-GF
Like joecar said....for single column (1-D) tables you need some sort of value to log what you're after. The essential parts of the table in the tune are needed (i.e. ECT in this case with the data being your RAFIG).

When dialing in your *idle* using the RAFIG process...no, you don't drive around. ;) (Sorry, I'm a smart-ass by nature...no offense intended).

Yes. Like joecar said, you need to make sure it captures all RPM's at idle in a single column. Therefore, you make the label ,8000 (comma-eight-zero-zero-zero). :)

FreddyG
September 2nd, 2007, 04:36 AM
#1 - (helpful tip) You shouldn't be logging more than 24 channels. It kills resolution in your logs. You have 33 channels tied up there.

#2 - Your map (any map) should look like the table in the tune that your trying to change. You should only have one column. For RAFIG adjustments, I made my column RPM referenced with ",8000" as the label. The rows should be labeled the same as the table in the tune (ECT's in the grey boxes on the left). The RAFIG pid is your data. But, the kicker is, I don't really use the map feature when changing desired idle airflow. I look at the charts on the dashboard's second page (page B). If you highlight a group of frames, it will display the high, low, and average for that selection. I use that to quickly determine the average RAFIG for a given ECT.

#3 - The average correction for each temp based on the log you attached should be as follows:

32*C = 0.00 (no correction in log)
44*C = +2.10 (add 2.1 to your table)
56*C = -5.10 (subtract from your table)
68*C = -3.80
80*C = -3.00
92*C = -3.00

I Apologize for the newbie question and maybe I'm just dense, but when you looked at the dashboard and read the data, which parameter did you interpret? I figured ECT, but wasn't sure. I understand the highlight part, but how did you know where to highlight?

Once again, I Apologize for the newbie question! I'm still just trying to learn some of this.......It's coming VERY slowly though!

Thanks for the help!:cheers:

SSpdDmon
September 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
I Apologize for the newbie question and maybe I'm just dense, but when you looked at the dashboard and read the data, which parameter did you interpret? I figured ECT, but wasn't sure. I understand the highlight part, but how did you know where to highlight?

Once again, I Apologize for the newbie question! I'm still just trying to learn some of this.......It's coming VERY slowly though!

Thanks for the help!:cheers:
The easiest way is to create a simple filter. If you're looking to change the 176*F cell, I would exclude data where ECT is less than 175*F and greater than 177*F. Then, the average RAFIG is the pid you interpret to determine how much of a correction you need to make. :)

FreddyG
September 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Thank You SSpdDmon! I'll try that! :cheers:

What pid's should I log for the RAFIG and RAFPN besides these:

http://home.comcast.net/~yourma/pids.jpg

How long does it take before learning this gets easier?

SSpdDmon
September 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Thank You SSpdDmon! I'll try that! :cheers:

What pid's should I log for the RAFIG and RAFPN besides these:

http://home.comcast.net/~yourma/pids.jpg

How long does it take before learning this gets easier?
N/P :)

You only have to log 3 of the 6 - the in gear OR the p/n pids. If your car is an M6, then you only have to do the in gear side of the table as the p/n stuff isn't used.

As for how long it takes to learn easier...I can't help ya with that one. I've been using the software for 2 years or so and I learn something new every month still. http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

FreddyG
September 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
N/P :)

You only have to log 3 of the 6 - the in gear OR the p/n pids. If your car is an M6, then you only have to do the in gear side of the table as the p/n stuff isn't used.

As for how long it takes to learn easier...I can't help ya with that one. I've been using the software for 2 years or so and I learn something new every month still. http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Thank You once again for the help SSpdDmon! :cheers:

So let's see it took you 2 years to get where you are, then by about 2015, I should have the hang of it! Maybe 2012 if I get a RoadRunner! :D

Highlander
February 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I am still wondering if we have any A/C ON parameters for this.

ItzNota
October 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I probably should have been more clear earlier...responses have been edited.

In the 'map' view, the cells for each ECT will average the range between the various ECT's on the left. For example, the average RAFIG correction in your map for 44*C (-1.328grams/sec) is really the average correction for all temps between 38.1*C and 49.9*C.

What I explained to do was to look at 44*C and ignore all of the crap inbetween. When you filter out the data to show only 44*C, the average correction shows a different story (+2.1 grams/second). That's the data you want to use and that's why my number is different than yours. :)

What the hell am I doing wrong on mine??
I have been reading over and over what you have said and it does NOT look like I am pulling the right numbers here!
I am frustrated as all get out.....any help here would be appreciated guys. I need to nail down this idle..it's driving me bonkers!:shock:

5.7ute
October 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I have been reading over and over what you have said and it does NOT look like I am pulling the right numbers here!
I am frustrated as all get out.....any help here would be appreciated guys. I need to nail down this idle..it's driving me bonkers!:shock:

What exactly is your issue?
The log supplied is very short & will only supply data for the two cells in which no need for correction is evident.

ItzNota
October 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
What exactly is your issue?
The log supplied is very short & will only supply data for the two cells in which no need for correction is evident.

Am I not letting it go long enough??
I just feel like it is not setup correctly...

5.7ute
October 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Am I not letting it go long enough??
I just feel like it is not setup correctly...

It appears to be set up correctly however something does appear to be wrong. Your idle is falling with temp & no correction is being logged.
There was an issue a while ago posted on this forum by macca779 that I will try & find.
I assume that this car of yours is electronic throttle. Is this correct?

SSpdDmon
October 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Post a copy of your tune and a log containing Desired Idle Airflow (GM.IACDES_B), RAFIG (CALC.RAFIG), IAC - LTIT (GM.IAC_LTD_DMA) and IAC - STIT (GM.IAC_STD_DMA). The log should contain a few other standard items (RPM, fuel trims, throttle position, and spark advance). Don't go over 24 channels (indicated at bottom of scanner on F8 PID page). To get the best results, make sure you capture your log when the car is completely cooled off (i.e. after it has sat out over night). Also, make sure you start recording right after you start the car all the way up to and beyond the normal operating temps - remember, oil temps rise much slower than coolant temps. Lastly, it's probably wise to leave the hood open, parking brake on, and don't touch the throttle if possible. Shouldn't take more than 15~20 minutes to fully warm up.

ItzNota
October 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Post a copy of your tune and a log containing Desired Idle Airflow (GM.IACDES_B), RAFIG (CALC.RAFIG), IAC - LTIT (GM.IAC_LTD_DMA) and IAC - STIT (GM.IAC_STD_DMA). The log should contain a few other standard items (RPM, fuel trims, throttle position, and spark advance). Don't go over 24 channels (indicated at bottom of scanner on F8 PID page). To get the best results, make sure you capture your log when the car is completely cooled off (i.e. after it has sat out over night). Also, make sure you start recording right after you start the car all the way up to and beyond the normal operating temps - remember, oil temps rise much slower than coolant temps. Lastly, it's probably wise to leave the hood open, parking brake on, and don't touch the throttle if possible. Shouldn't take more than 15~20 minutes to fully warm up.

I will do that this morning, but I notice that I do not have the GM.IACDES_B pid on my SUPPORTED list...I have everything else available though..

SSpdDmon
October 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
It should be under the AIR drop down list. If you uncheck the "supported" check box on top left, it may show up but be unsupported (see if it's there).

What kind of car?

ItzNota
October 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM
It should be under the AIR drop down list. If you uncheck the "supported" check box on top left, it may show up but be unsupported (see if it's there).

What kind of car?

2000 Camaro Z28 (A4)
OS upgraded to 2002

yeah I saw that if I go into UNSUPPORTED then it is available..

Also, I am having trouble keeping the car idling on its own with out a tiny bit of assistance.....any quick remedies for this for the logging?

SSpdDmon
October 30th, 2008, 03:29 AM
2000 Camaro Z28 (A4)
OS upgraded to 2002

yeah I saw that if I go into UNSUPPORTED then it is available..

Also, I am having trouble keeping the car idling on its own with out a tiny bit of assistance.....any quick remedies for this for the logging?
Did you adjust the throttle body set screw at all? Drill the throttle body blade? Ideally, you need to do one or the other on a cam'd application.

Also, what are the specific mods done and why did you change your OS? IMO - this can sometimes create more trouble than it's worth.

ItzNota
October 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Did you adjust the throttle body set screw at all? Drill the throttle body blade? Ideally, you need to do one or the other on a cam'd application.

Also, what are the specific mods done and why did you change your OS? IMO - this can sometimes create more trouble than it's worth.

I just wanted to update you that the logging is working now! Just by adding the IACDES_B it works. It didn't show up as a supported PID until I made a connection to the PCM. I apologize for the confusion.

So, I did my RAFIG and RAFPN....It is running a little better,but it is still super rough...I don't think I have that big of a cam at 224/224 581/581 114LSA.
Anyway, I will PM you with the work done on the Camaro....it is really nothing big. h/c and I upgraded the intake to the LS6. LT Headers and LMII exhaust....ahh, 42lbs/hr injectors.

Why did I upgrade to 2002 OS? I believe it was a thread I read from possibly Joecar or someone reputable that claimed it was better to upgrade. Upgrading to Custom OS was easier that way if I ever wanted to...basically, it looked to me the better way to go. I can always go back if you think that would be better.

SSpdDmon
October 30th, 2008, 06:21 AM
For a simple heads/cam car, I don't personally think it's necessary. Now, if you were going to go to a custom operating system because of the boost or N2O features....that would be a different story since you have to do those based on a newer OS IIRC.

Looking over your response....still didn't answer if you touched the TB set screw or enlarged the hole.?.? Also, would be a good idea to take note of (and let us know) where your IAC counts are once the car is up to temp.

ItzNota
October 30th, 2008, 06:24 AM
For a simple heads/cam car, I don't personally think it's necessary. Now, if you were going to go to a custom operating system because of the boost or N2O features....that would be a different story since you have to do those based on a newer OS IIRC.

Looking over your response....still didn't answer if you touched the TB set screw or enlarged the hole.?.? Also, would be a good idea to take note of (and let us know) where your IAC counts are once the car is up to temp.

Sorry man, no I did not touch the TB screw or drill the hole out...nope nope nope.
I will upload the RAFIG and RAFPN right now..
RAFPN isn't very long because I did it this morning after I did the RAFIG...I will redo it tomorrow morning.

SSpdDmon
October 31st, 2008, 05:24 AM
Sorry man, no I did not touch the TB screw or drill the hole out...nope nope nope.
I will upload the RAFIG and RAFPN right now..
RAFPN isn't very long because I did it this morning after I did the RAFIG...I will redo it tomorrow morning.

Wow - just realized I don't have 7.5. Can't view the log. Oh well...

Here's a starter file. Your tune had very little changed from a stock file. Changing the VE while the MAF is still enabled doesn't work too well. And, if you did unplug the MAF, you were running off the stock '02 low octane table (Low octane table used during MAF failure aka SD). So, I changed some things. Well, a LOT of things:

Currently: SET FOR SPEED DENSITY TUNING

EGR / AIR Still Enabled
NO DFCO - (B3313)
NO STFTs - (B4205)
NO LTFTs - (B3801)
Starter VE's Created - (B0101 / B0103)
MAF Disabled - (C2901 thru C2906 & P0101 thru P0103)
Injector Tables Adjusted - (B4001& B4003 thru B4005)
Trans set for 2.73 gears

What you need to do:

1) Save this as a base file on your computer.

2) Before flashing it into the car, copy the high octane to the low octane spark map.

3) Save As... a new version 1 file.

4) Full-flash .v1 tune into car (OS and all)

5) Perform AutoVE process with WBO2 and make changes to both VE tables (refer to tutorial if fuzzy on process - don't need to add any extra to VE's as starter file is already setup)

6) After AutoVE is done, re-enable MAF (put back stock numbers) and put the low octane map back in from the base file.

7) Re-flash and tune the MAF

8) After MAF tuning, put fuel trims and DFCO back to stock & reflash.

9) Once fueling is close, fine tune RAFIG and RAFPN

You can download a stock file from www.holdencrazy.com (http://www.holdencrazy.com) to compare all the differences and change tables back to stock.

ItzNota
October 31st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Wow - just realized I don't have 7.5. Can't view the log. Oh well...

Here's a starter file. Your tune had very little changed from a stock file. Changing the VE while the MAF is still enabled doesn't work too well. And, if you did unplug the MAF, you were running off the stock '02 low octane table (Low octane table used during MAF failure aka SD). So, I changed some things. Well, a LOT of things:

Currently: SET FOR SPEED DENSITY TUNING

EGR / AIR Still Enabled
NO DFCO - (B3313)
NO STFTs - (B4205)
NO LTFTs - (B3801)
Starter VE's Created - (B0101 / B0103)
MAF Disabled - (C2901 thru C2906 & P0101 thru P0103)
Injector Tables Adjusted - (B4001& B4003 thru B4005)
Trans set for 2.73 gears

What you need to do:

1) Save this as a base file on your computer.

2) Before flashing it into the car, copy the high octane to the low octane spark map.

3) Save As... a new version 1 file.

4) Full-flash .v1 tune into car (OS and all)

5) Perform AutoVE process with WBO2 and make changes to both VE tables (refer to tutorial if fuzzy on process - don't need to add any extra to VE's as starter file is already setup)

6) After AutoVE is done, re-enable MAF (put back stock numbers) and put the low octane map back in from the base file.

7) Re-flash and tune the MAF

8) After MAF tuning, put fuel trims and DFCO back to stock & reflash.

9) Once fueling is close, fine tune RAFIG and RAFPN

You can download a stock file from www.holdencrazy.com (http://www.holdencrazy.com) to compare all the differences and change tables back to stock.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to do that...
Couple things I am going to have to modify in your reply though.
1) No more EGR...took it off
Basically converted my 00 to 02...software and hardware-wise. Only thing I need to double check is Transmission differences.
With what you replied I realized some stuff...Thanks much for the assistance. I am sure I will have more questions later on, but I definitely have a better idea now.

Mike

SSpdDmon
October 31st, 2008, 06:28 AM
Wow, thanks for taking the time to do that...
Couple things I am going to have to modify in your reply though.
1) No more EGR...took it off
Basically converted my 00 to 02...software and hardware-wise. Only thing I need to double check is Transmission differences.
With what you replied I realized some stuff...Thanks much for the assistance. I am sure I will have more questions later on, but I definitely have a better idea now.

Mike
Well, to get the full list of changes, load in a stock file in the background for comparison and run the compare report. I changed quite a bit. As for the EGR, that should be simple. Just hit the Disable button and kill the DTC Processing Enablers for it. :)

ViciousKnid
March 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
So all I really need to do then is take the RAFPN avg for each temp and add it to B4307?
So for the Screenshot below, I add 2.23 to the 111F section in B4307 for P/N.
Will that also help my cold start AFR? cuz it's way lean and I haven't been able to richen it up.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/viciousknid/EFILIVE/RAFPN.jpg

SSpdDmon
August 5th, 2009, 05:59 AM
So all I really need to do then is take the RAFPN avg for each temp and add it to B4307?
So for the Screenshot below, I add 2.23 to the 111F section in B4307 for P/N.
Will that also help my cold start AFR? cuz it's way lean and I haven't been able to richen it up.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/viciousknid/EFILIVE/RAFPN.jpg
(Sorry for the late response)

Correct - 2.23 is what you would add to your desired airflow table.

No, this shouldn't affect cold start AFRs. This is purely making sure the engine has enough airflow to maintain idle. For cold start AFRs, you can command a richer AFR in B3605 for ECT temps where you're lean. Ideally, once you tune the AFR @ operating temps appropriately, cold start AFRs shouldn't be that far off.

Are you sure you're not reading lean because of the AIR pump???

ViciousKnid
August 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM
(Sorry for the late response)

Correct - 2.23 is what you would add to your desired airflow table.

No, this shouldn't affect cold start AFRs. This is purely making sure the engine has enough airflow to maintain idle. For cold start AFRs, you can command a richer AFR in B3605 for ECT temps where you're lean. Ideally, once you tune the AFR @ operating temps appropriately, cold start AFRs shouldn't be that far off.

Are you sure you're not reading lean because of the AIR pump???

I figured it out. The cold start lean problem was actually because my VE way down low got screwed up some how. Fixed it and all it good. Working on an unrelated issues now.

joecar
December 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM

I like to work on one cell at a time (only takes 5 minutes). So for the 176*F cell for example, I go back to my log and filter out any ECT's less than 175*F or ECT's greater than 177*F. Then, I look at the AVERAGE log of the RAFIG pid for 176*F. I then make that correction to the 176*F cell in the desired idle airflow table. Do that for all of the temps in the table you were able to hit. Then, guess-timate for the cells you weren't able to hit. That's the best you'll be able to do for them.

...So you work on one cell at a time...

filter out data not for this cell, take average of remaining data, add it to this cell... I see. :)

Dirktdolman
December 3rd, 2014, 02:07 PM
Sorry for digging up an old thread but every direction I turn I am referred back to this thread.

I tried running the RAFIG and it did not work. So I looked into the PID and can't seem to find the PIDs the RAFIG is referring to.

joecar
December 3rd, 2014, 04:15 PM
In V8 those two pids are named IAC_LD_M and IAC_SD_M.

Did you select the engine controller as LS1B...?

Dirktdolman
December 3rd, 2014, 05:08 PM
In V8 those two pids are named IAC_LD_M and IAC_SD_M.

OK I found those but the MORE INFO for RAFIG refers to IAC_LTD_DMA and IAC_STD_DMA. Don't I have to have IAC_LTD_DMA and IAC_STD_DMA for RAFIG to work?

I am trying to set this up for both a 03 2500 HD 6.0L and a 01 S10 ZR2 4.3L. Am i going to have to create two separate set of PID loads?

Did you select the engine controller as LS1B...?

I did

joecar
December 4th, 2014, 09:09 AM
OK I found those but the MORE INFO for RAFIG refers to IAC_LTD_DMA and IAC_STD_DMA. Don't I have to have IAC_LTD_DMA and IAC_STD_DMA for RAFIG to work?

With the V7 scantool: yes.

With the V8 scantool they are renamed (the More Info text is not correct).

joecar
December 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM
If you're attempting to tune idle/rafig, then you should be doing this with the V7 scantool.

Dirktdolman
December 4th, 2014, 09:16 AM
So ignore the V8 and use the V7.5 instead? I looked at that but could not figure out how to program the V2 with the V7.5.

Dirktdolman
December 8th, 2014, 01:57 AM
I have to tell you that I am getting really frustrated with this $900 toy. I have spent 15-18 hours of reading and gotten NO WERE. Most of the threads and manuals are 7 years old. The V7.5 Scan manual talks about function and features which I can find.

Doc
December 8th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Disconnect everything. Stop all the new V8 stuff in the system tray. Open 7.5 scan & tune tools. The information may be 7 years old but it is still very relevant to your LS1 vehicles you are attempting to tune.

Dirktdolman
December 8th, 2014, 02:58 AM
I don't have 8 installed anymore. I only have EFILive Scan Tool V7.5 and EFILive Tune Tool V7.5 installed. The Manual for EFILive Scan Tool V7.5 talks about functions which my version does not have. Using V7.5 and I can not program selected PIDs into Flashscan.

joecar
December 8th, 2014, 06:08 AM
So ignore the V8 and use the V7.5 instead? I looked at that but could not figure out how to program the V2 with the V7.5.

I don't have 8 installed anymore. I only have EFILive Scan Tool V7.5 and EFILive Tune Tool V7.5 installed. The Manual for EFILive Scan Tool V7.5 talks about functions which my version does not have. Using V7.5 and I can not program selected PIDs into Flashscan.

You use V8 to program V2 with logging pidlists.

You use V2 to record logs; you then transfer the logs to your PC, and you use V7 to analyze the logs and edit the tune file.

joecar
December 8th, 2014, 06:10 AM
I don't have 8 installed anymore. I only have EFILive Scan Tool V7.5 and EFILive Tune Tool V7.5 installed. The Manual for EFILive Scan Tool V7.5 talks about functions which my version does not have. Using V7.5 and I can not program selected PIDs into Flashscan.You want V8 installed because this is how you update the firmware in your V2, and how you program V2 for logging pidlists.

joecar
December 8th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Have you read these:

BBL-PIDs-V2 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14351-BBL-PIDs-V2&p=128782&viewfull=1#post128782)
What-is-BBL (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13841-What-is-BBL)
New-V2-help-find-exlporer (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13836-New-V2-help-find-exlporer&p=123595&viewfull=1#post123595)
V2-BBL-saving-log-data (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15492-V2-BBL-saving-log-data&p=136965#post136965)

You have to read these:
V7 scantool user manual pdf <-- V7 scantool has maps which you need for tuning VE/MAF and other tables.
V7 tunetool user manual pdf <-- V7 tunetool is how you edit a calibraiton file.

Also, instead of trying to do AutoVE, try doing Calc.VET, see post #1 of this thread:
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log)
( follow all the links from post #1 of that thread )

joecar
December 8th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I have to tell you that I am getting really frustrated with this $900 toy. I have spent 15-18 hours of reading and gotten NO WERE. Most of the threads and manuals are 7 years old. The V7.5 Scan manual talks about function and features which I can find.Which features can't you find...?

If you play with the V7 scantool you will find out a lot of its functionality.

joecar
December 8th, 2014, 06:24 AM
More info:

V7 software:
this is the traditional scantool and tunetool that you use for scanning/logging/reading/flashing with laptop in vehicle;
scantool is also used for viewing log files; tunetool is also used for editing tune files.

V8 software:
this is the Black Box mode configuration tools, S&T and EE, and includes V2 firmware/bootblock.
S&T is used to configure V2 for BBL/BBR/BBF; EE is used to copy logs and tunes between V2 and laptop;
V8 software will eventually provide the functionality of the V7 scantool/tunetool.

Even though V8 scantool now exists, it does not yet provide all the features of the V7 scantool (e.g. maps and filters), so use V7 scantool for tuning for now.

Black LS1 T/A
November 27th, 2015, 05:57 AM
ttt