PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a Y body setup for an fbody?

99ss
July 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM
I have a friend with EFI live and the roadrunner for his vette, he wants to sell it, can I use it for my fbody? what will need to be done for me to use it?

mr.prick
July 31st, 2007, 12:37 PM
it depends on the year it is for
* 512 Meg RoadRunner Units program the following vehicles: 1999-2002 F-Body, 1999-2002 LS1/LS6 Corvettes, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999-2002 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, and 8.1L Trucks, etc.

* 1 Meg RoadRunner units are used in the following applications: 2003-2004 Corvettes, Cadillac CTS-V, 2003-2006 Trucks, and LB7 Diesel.
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/productinfo/?action=read&pgid=112

99ss
July 31st, 2007, 01:39 PM
What about the efli live part? Is that all included as part of the roadrunner?

99ss
July 31st, 2007, 05:40 PM
He has a 2000 Vette and I have a 99 fbod so it will work then. Not sure how the efi live stuff goes though, my guess is I might need to purchase a license?

kbracing96
August 1st, 2007, 01:11 AM
If he is selling you an EFILive cable and a Road Runner PCM, then as long as your only tuning with the road runner, you won't need any licenses, as the cable is already licensed to the Road Runner. If you want to put your stock PCM back in the car and flash the tune into it that you created with the RR, then you would need 1 EFILive license for that, but if he has only ever tuned his Vette with the RR, then both the licenses that the EFILive comes with should still be available on it. If he has tuned his stock PCM, then he would have used 1 of the 2 licenses, but there still should be an available license on the EFILive cable for your stock PCM if you should choose to put it back in the car. Wost comes to worst, you would have to buy 1 EFIlive License ($99) to flash your stock PCM.

99ss
August 1st, 2007, 02:08 AM
Awesome info!! I am how ever a little confused. IT m understandning the RR can be used in place of the cars cpu, but I actually have to remove the cpu from the car?

Yes it includes the cable and box? Not sure what the box is.

He's selling to me for $650. Is that a good deal?

1998ws6
August 1st, 2007, 02:41 AM
if the box is EFI live, jump on it, it is a GREAT deal.

I have about $1400 invested in my 1999-2002 roadrunner setup and EFI live v2

Ryan

joecar
August 1st, 2007, 04:07 AM
Awesome info!! I am how ever a little confused. IT m understandning the RR can be used in place of the cars cpu, but I actually have to remove the cpu from the car? Yes, remove PCM from car, install RR in place of PCM.

Box is the EFILive FlashScan hardware, it should say "EFILive FlashScan" on it;
it allows you to flash the PCM, and to log data from the PCM.

He's selling to me for $650. Is that a good deal?For FLashScan V1 and RR, that's a very good deal. :cheers:

kbracing96
August 1st, 2007, 09:17 AM
Awesome info!! I am how ever a little confused. IT m understandning the RR can be used in place of the cars cpu, but I actually have to remove the cpu from the car?

He's selling to me for $650. Is that a good deal?

Yes, you just swap out your stock PCM for the RR PCM, tune the RR PCM and the you can either leave the RR in the car, or put your stock PCM back in and flash in the tune you created with the RR in to your stock PCM.

PS, if you decide you don't want that RR/EFILive cable, I'll buy it from him for that :)

99ss
August 1st, 2007, 02:30 PM
I need a laptop to use it though correct?

kbracing96
August 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
I need a laptop to use it though correct?

Yes, you will need a laptop, but it doesn't need to be a high end one, a 2-300 ebay special will be enough.

99ss
August 2nd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the help :rockon: , I've got another question.. two part

It says you can switch between the flash chip and emulation... whats that do? In flash mode you can only change by having the car off and more like a standard tuning interface? where in emulation it's on the fly? just guessing dont laugh... lol

2nd part.. It says to load your favorite tune from efi live.. how do I get my current tune from my cars ecu on to efi live? Is that with the efi part of things, the cable and what ever software version I'm getting? Is that the "box" part of it?

99ss
August 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
ok the tutorial answers one question, guess I'll have to read the manual for the other.. Lol sorry got lazy