PDA

View Full Version : Online tutorial??

Sparky8370
August 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Is there anything out there to teach you how to use EFILive? Specifically, for the duramax? I don't want to just but this and see if I can figure it out. I downloaded the software to "play with" and see if it makes any sense to me, but nothing yet!! This is obviously very expensive, and if I'm going to order something that's going to put me in the doghouse for 2 weeks, then I want to be able to use it.

MWDHAND
November 16th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I would be interested in this too, would love to use EFI to the max!!!!

MyM8V8
November 16th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Me too, but for the LS2 E40 and T42 TCM

ScarabEpic22
November 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Theres an AutoVE tutorial for the E40 on the site, Gelf VXR spent lots of time perfecting it for the E40 vs the LS1 PCM. Look at THIS THREAD (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6529)

Frozen WS6
November 27th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I'd be interested in knowing if there are any new classes coming up also.

emarkay
January 7th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Well?
What's the "state of the art" on EFILive online tutorials, classes, and affiliated websites - sounds like a time for R and P and a few others to get together to make a snapshot; and post a set of links and addresses!

Frozen WS6
January 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah. I still can't even use mine. I can't find where I'm suppose to enter in my vin even after reading the users manual a couple of times, and asking on here. I'm starting to get disappointed with this expensive disc that I can't even use.

joecar
January 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Frozen WS6,

File->Enter VIN on page 43 and Bidirectional->Change VIN on page 52 of the scantool user manual pdf.

I am sorry your question wasn't answered before... we will make a point of answering your questions.

The disc is free... the scantool/tunetool user manual pdf's contain all the information you need to scan/log/read/tune/flash your WS6.

The AutoVE tutorial contains information that will help you tune... it indirectly shows some relationships between tables... other information can be obtained from the forum, see additional links: showthread.php?t=2990 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2990)

Of course, some tuning knowledge is required (learning curve)... EFILive is a tool, the user manuals/forum give you information on how to use the tool... you have to learn how to apply the tool... there is lots of information on the forum on how to apply the tool... if you're not familiar with tuning you will need to do some reading (several books are available from Amazon and other booksellers: Jeff Hartman, Ben Strader, Greg Banish).

Please do ask questions, the forum will help you out.

Cheers
Joe
:)

Frozen WS6
January 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks. I have a couple of tuning how to books. I know I have the one by Ben Strader and one other one. I can't remember who wrote it. Both were very informative but they don't really ever touch on efilive. I need to order a wide band and then the learning curve can begin. Small steps at a time.

BRD-PREY
January 9th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I just received my EFI LIVE V2 and tuner software from wait4me. I personnally thought it was very well documented. I was even impressed with how recent the version of software was the disk (only 2 updates had to be downloaded and they were seamless if the instructions are followed. I followed the provided instructions on the install disk. I had a few pauses to think but the documents were spot on. Of course now the hard part comes. The actual tuning. I was able to hook up last night and down load my stock tune in to the laptop. So I will spent a few days digesting that.
I do have 2 questions and I haven't spent time yet to find the answers. I'm sure they are in the manual. 1) Does the Real time tuning feature work. I was just experimenting last night and tried to turn the skip shift light on but nothing happened? 2) How do you get PIDs (what does pid stand for?) in to the scan tool so I can log?
I'm sure the answer is online or in the manual, so please no flaming. I was really just commenting on the profession product I received was, and thought I would type out those questions.
Thanks Everyone
Ed
2001 LS1 in a WS6

joecar
January 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Hi Ed, welcome to the forum...:cheers:

1) Real Time Tuning works with the Roadrunner PCM which is a modified PCM modified to allow changes via USB or Bluetooth... EFILive connects to the Roadrunner and allows real time changes.

2) PID = parameter id... "PID" or "pid" has become short terminology for "parameter that can be scanned and/or logged"... other scantool vendors have the same usage.

To get an idea of how some tables interrelate, have a read of the AutoVE tutorial.

Cheers
Joe
:)

Rich
May 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
There is a free disk on how to scan then tune? I've had mine for years and still don't know how to use it. I have a C5 Corvette and want to change cam and heads but have no idea how to tune it. I've only used it to make small changes. Spent all that money on a tool I can't use. Is there a disc or book that can teach me how? Really don't want to spend another $500 on the 101 class. Thanks for any help.

joecar
May 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM
There is a free disk on how to scan then tune? I've had mine for years and still don't know how to use it. I have a C5 Corvette and want to change cam and heads but have no idea how to tune it. I've only used it to make small changes. Spent all that money on a tool I can't use. Is there a disc or book that can teach me how? Really don't want to spend another $500 on the 101 class. Thanks for any help.Hi Rich,

Follow the What to Tune Steps links in my sig.

Or, maybe better, have a read of at this: A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table).

Where in CA are you located...?

Rich
May 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for reply. I'm in Southern California near Los Angeles.

Taz
May 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hello Rich,

To develop your tuning knowledge base at no cost, other than time …..

print out all of the manuals and tutorials included with the EFILive software, organize them in a binder (it will be about 6 inches thick) - and read them all at least once
these documents are usually downloaded to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc - there should be 2 manuals and about 12 tutorials
review the interactive tutorials on the EFILive home page
read all posts on this Forum relevant to the PCM / ECM / TCM you want to tune
post questions on this Forum
Books and manuals would be the next avenue of least expense to broaden your knowledge base. Some days I think I singlehandedly keep Helm Inc. in business.

DVDs and attending classes are the next progressions from a cost perspective.

Regards,
Taz