PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas up front

trudynosports
June 4th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I have an 04 5.3 coming next week with nothing but exhaust and an LS1 hot cam. The truck won't idle at all hot. Any upfront suggestions before the guy get's here?

Aaron

dfe1
June 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Try bumping idle speed to the 800-850 range, then work with the idle air flow tables (Idle air flow and Idle air flow parked). Note that Idle Air Flow is referenced to coolant temp and Idle Air Flow Parked is referenced to Inlet Air Temp. The HOT cam's combination of duration and 112 lobe separation means the engine won't pull much air at idle, so MAP readings will probably be in the 60-70 range. You need to open the throttle plate more than with a milder cam so the engine receives a sufficient amount of air. I tuned a Corvette with a HOT cam and got a reasonable idle, but I could never get the shake completely out of the engine unless I raised idle speed up to about 1,000 rpm. At lower speeds, the engine goes through a cycle where it will rock the car, then smooth out, then rock the car. In a street car/truck I think that's easier to live with than an obnoxiously high idle speed. Also read the sticky about idle transition tuning. I don't agree with everything in that post, (I've tuned a number of cammed cars and never had to spend days logging and altering the VE and MAF tables.) but it has a lot of good information.

trudynosports
June 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I had no issues with this truck after the tune. It idles perfect now! I really love this software!

wait4me
June 11th, 2005, 02:20 AM
If you have any problems, email me and ill send you my number. Ill walk thru the whole thing and answer any question you may ever have.