PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good write up on how to tune

esco35m
August 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I have found this on ls1tech.com. I know it is not new, but if the info is good and correct how could I apply this to efi live. Since it seem to be written for HP Tuners. I think this would be a good sticky if someone could just make it so it could apply to efi live. I am really wanting to learn how to tune correctly. My goals are to be able to tune my car with the MAF. Thanks for any help in advance. Heres the link. http://www.transamws6.net/HPTuners/ls1tuninginfo.doc

SSpdDmon
August 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM
That's what I started out reading over 2 years ago. The jist of it is correct (if I remember right). Just don't do anything crazy like disable PE and set Commanded Fuel in Open Loop to 14.63 across the board if you're going to tune the VE. That would be bad, mmmmk? http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif That and you should be using a WBO2 to tune the VE.

Anyway, enough being a smartass. If you have any specific questions, post up and we'll help out. :)

joecar
August 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Do you have a wideband O2 sensor...?

esco35m
August 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I have LC1 wideband.

SSpdDmon
August 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I'd suggest getting the wideband hooked up and make sure it's working properly in the scanner. Then, familiarize yourself with the scanner, making maps, and reviewing data. One of the best things to know is how to make a map. If you can make a data map in the scanner that looks just like the table you want to change in the tuning tool, then you're halfway there. :)

esco35m
August 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I have been reading and rereading everything in the scan tool manual and the tuning tool manual. I also have been playing with making map just like you suggest. Howerver I am just not sure what order that I am supposed to go in as far as tuning. I will do some more reading and then play with the scanner some more. Thank You SSpd Dmon for your help. I will let you know If I have any other questions.

SSpdDmon
August 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM
No problem.

joecar
August 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Be sure to also read the Auto VE tutorial pdf.

Also, if you disable all TM/TR, just be warned that it was there to protect the drivetrain and for traction control, but it's entirely up to you what you do with it.

esco35m
August 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks joe car I will be sure to check out the auto ve pdf. I am still trying to get the scan tool manual down pact. I feel that I do have a good grasp on the tune tool manual. I also desided to update my sig so you all would know what I have and how this could affect my tuning.

SSpdDmon
August 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Here's a good starter tune for a stock cam'd LS1. Keep an eye on the fuel trims and KR. This should be close. Not perfect though...

joecar
August 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks joe car I will be sure to check out the auto ve pdf. I am still trying to get the scan tool manual down pact. I feel that I do have a good grasp on the tune tool manual. I also desided to update my sig so you all would know what I have and how this could affect my tuning.It's a fair bit of reading, but it's worth it... :cheers:

SSpdDmon
August 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Here's a good starter tune for a stock cam'd LS1. Keep an eye on the fuel trims and KR. This should be close. Not perfect though...

Edited this post to include starter file...

esco35m
August 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I just read auto ve pdf. Would you all recommend that I start with auto ve first.

SSpdDmon
August 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I just read auto ve pdf. Would you all recommend that I start with auto ve first.
Try starting with the file I posted on the previous page. It should be close. Read the stock tune out of your car and save it in a safe place. Once you have a copy loaded in the tune software, SAVE AS a new file (i.e. 2002_TA_v.1.tun). Then, click file > load alternate calibration and select the file I posted. You can see the changes by clicking on the red left/right arrows on the top left of the screen. Highlight all of them and click update. Save the new file with the updated calibrations. Then, flash it to your car. As I mentioned, keep an eye on fuel trims and KR. If you get positive fuel trims or consistent KR, let me know (post up a log).

Also, when logging, avoid selecting more than 24 CHANNELS (see bottom of F8 tab in scanner).

esco35m
August 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
This is what I have done so far. I have saved my stock tune. I have about 8 copies. When I first bought the car I had purchased a diablo tuner. So what I did is copy my diablo tuners file also and did the alternate calibrations check. There was so few changes compared to my stock tune that it was not even funny. I will take a look at the tune you posted up and let you know how it goes. I could not find anywhere in the manual that tells you "How to get you wife to shut up so you can tune your car" maybe you can send me a link SSpd Dmon.LOL If not I guess I can just try TUNE her out. Thanks for the help as always.

SSpdDmon
August 7th, 2007, 01:02 AM
This is what I have done so far. I have saved my stock tune. I have about 8 copies. When I first bought the car I had purchased a diablo tuner. So what I did is copy my diablo tuners file also and did the alternate calibrations check. There was so few changes compared to my stock tune that it was not even funny. I will take a look at the tune you posted up and let you know how it goes. I could not find anywhere in the manual that tells you "How to get you wife to shut up so you can tune your car" maybe you can send me a link SSpd Dmon.LOL If not I guess I can just TUNE here out. Thanks for the help as always.
Good luck with that... ;)

SSpdDmon
August 7th, 2007, 01:03 AM
BTW, if you get a minute esco, can you email me the stock tune and the Diablo tune that you have? I'm curious to see what they change. Thanks!

SAJ79 at AOL dot COM

esco35m
August 7th, 2007, 03:31 AM
BTW, if you get a minute esco, can you email me the stock tune and the Diablo tune that you have? I'm curious to see what they change. Thanks!

SAJ79 at AOL dot COM
I sent the e-mail let me know if you get the tunes or if I need to resend. As always. :cheers:

esco35m
August 7th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I also have another question. My buddy has HP Tuners and wants to tune my car. Is there anything bad that could happen ie like the PCM being locked. I was thinking about letting him do it. And then putting back in my stock tune so I can view the changes with my efi live. I think he tunes his car and other cars using the same document that I posted up.

SSpdDmon
August 7th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I sent the e-mail let me know if you get the tunes or if I need to resend. As always. :cheers:
Received...thanks!

joecar
August 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Can I also look at your Diablo tune... (<---- just click on my username on the left,and select send email to joecar).

Thanks. :)

esco35m
August 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Im at work so later on tonight or tommorow I will send you the tune.

SSpdDmon
August 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Can I also look at your Diablo tune... (<---- just click on my username on the left,and select send email to joecar).

Thanks. :)
sent

esco35m
August 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
sent
Thank you for sending the tune. I am still at work.

Chevy366
August 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Could you shoot me a file also would like to see as well .

TIA

SSpdDmon
August 8th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Could you shoot me a file also would like to see as well .

TIA
sent to email addy on your website