PDA

View Full Version : Need some tuning help

Spdfrk1990
August 10th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I have done the autoVE a few times and I really dont seem to be getting where I want. I am currently running a stock 01 z06 timing table also. I cannot get the bins where they need to be altho im sure I need to do some more logging. I just feel lost I really wish there was someone local that could help out. I am running in SD mode currently also. Should I change the OS also so I can run off both timing tables? My car seems to be currently getting terrible gas mileage also.
I will upload my current tune when I get home and one of my last logs.

Thanks

SSpdDmon
August 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Upload current tune and list of mods. Also, why are you running a Z06 timing table?

Spdfrk1990
August 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
!AIR
SLP Lid
Ported TB
Kooks headers w/ ORY
Magnaflow catback
MSD Super conductor wires
NGK TR55's
Hypertech 160 t-stat

Those are my mods and im running a z06 timing table cause the 01 timing table is weak.

Spdfrk1990
August 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Also if I wanted to tune it for a maf tune whats the best way to do that? Not like I have major mods where the maf is going to restrict anything.

Chevy366
August 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Also if I wanted to tune it for a maf tune whats the best way to do that? Not like I have major mods where the maf is going to restrict anything.

Do the VE first then MAF tune , VE needs to be good before doing MAF .
MAF tuning is like make a MAP for MAF and whatever wide band you are using and log>copy and paste .
Post your tune up so we can see .

Spdfrk1990
August 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Ok ill post it up as soon as I get on my home pc. How many good logs do you guys usually have to do b4 you get your VE dialed in. I just switched my WB over to the driver side also. I just hate trying to hit the higher rpm cells dont like to run it up there alot.

Spdfrk1990
August 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I got the hang of it a few weeks ago though. To get the high map pressure low rpm cells you just put it in a high gear and floor it letting off a little or giving it more to get the cells you want. To get the higher rpm ones ide put it in second or first and fluctuate the throttle in the higher rpms.

SSpdDmon
August 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM
The table isn't really that weak. You can bump it up a little in a few spots. But, I don't think the right solution is to use a spark map from a different car that has different heads and cam. ;)

Try using the changes made to the attached tune below. There's a stock file attached to compare it to (File>Load Alternate Calibration and then Crtl+F12) as well.

Spdfrk1990
August 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM
The table isn't really that weak. You can bump it up a little in a few spots. But, I don't think the right solution is to use a spark map from a different car that has different heads and cam. ;)

Try using the changes made to the attached tune below. There's a stock file attached to compare it to (File>Load Alternate Calibration and then Crtl+F12) as well.

Thanks a lot man is that maf tune?

SSpdDmon
August 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
That's similar to the bolt-ons '02 Z28 (A4) that I had. The VE and MAF should be close. Just look at the tables that are different and copy them over to your tune. It should be close.

Spdfrk1990
August 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Alright if im going to put my MAF back on I want to polish it while its off first :). Thanks again ill see how that does.

Spdfrk1990
August 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Just made my tune file to copy that one. I will prob install the maf tonight and load it up.

Spdfrk1990
August 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I loaded it up tonight and made a log. I can definitely tell the car runs much better. Thanks a lot it needs to be fine tuned a little but its much better then when I was running SD.

RevGTO
August 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
That's similar to the bolt-ons '02 Z28 (A4) that I had. The VE and MAF should be close. Just look at the tables that are different and copy them over to your tune. It should be close.Is the MAF tune for stock or descreened, or does it make any difference? Also, is the bolt-on 02 auto modified tune on Holden Crazy your old 02 auto tune?

Spdfrk1990
August 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM
My maf is stock and that tune is pretty close my ltft's look great. My afr looks pretty good too.

SSpdDmon
August 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
Is the MAF tune for stock or descreened, or does it make any difference? Also, is the bolt-on 02 auto modified tune on Holden Crazy your old 02 auto tune?
The MAF wasn't descreened. I believe I uploaded that tune to Holden Crazy...so it should be the same. Simple test would be to download both and do a compare. :)

RevGTO
August 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
Yep, I did that and they are not identical, but very close. I've been running the Holden Crazy VE table since putting on LT's, adusting it here and there, but my +LTFT's are still high. I may try the MAF calibration and see where it puts me. My mods are very similar to the Holden Crazy car - except I have cats instead of ORY.

RevGTO
August 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I loaded the revised MAF table from that tune and it cut my LTFT's down by more than half. I'm seeing negative FT's for the first time in a long time. But I'm still getting more positive than I should - yours are perfect by comparison.

I have a pesky area 1200-1800 rpm when MAP runs 25-30 Kpa. FT's still run as high as +6.3 (better than the +10.2-12.5's I was seeing). Any suggestions?

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I loaded the revised MAF table from that tune and it cut my LTFT's down by more than half. I'm seeing negative FT's for the first time in a long time. But I'm still getting more positive than I should - yours are perfect by comparison.

I have a pesky area 1200-1800 rpm when MAP runs 25-30 Kpa. FT's still run as high as +6.3 (better than the +10.2-12.5's I was seeing). Any suggestions?
That tune should be treated as a starting point....to get you closer where your car needs to be. The VE table will only be referenced during transitions and unsteady airflow scenarios. All other times, the MAF will be used. If you're seeing positive fuel trims, you need to bump up the MAF a little in the Hz range where you're seeing them so they even out. You really should have a WBO2 hooked up for WOT (don't remember if you have one or not).

RevGTO
August 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I have access to a LM-1. I've monitored AFR in OL and hopefully will do so in CL this afternoon. I'll look more closely and the MAF Hz in that range and adjust accordingly.

Your MAF table got me a long way. But was amazed to see that Spdfrk had LTFT's almost consistently at 0.0 with it.

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I have access to a LM-1. I've monitored AFR in OL and hopefully will do so in CL this afternoon. I'll look more closely and the MAF Hz in that range and adjust accordingly.

Your MAF table got me a long way. But was amazed to see that Spdfrk had LTFT's almost consistently at 0.0 with it.
Maybe just differences between F-body/GTO platforms...

RevGTO
August 25th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Well, I logged with the WB and my WOT AFR's came in at 11.8-11.5 - almost exactly as commanded. So modifying my PE table close to the Holden Crazy tune should get me where I need to go on that.