PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new tune 427/L92/L76

bandit
August 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Well guys I just got back from a trip to a local tuner and in my opinion got really screwed in the deal. I spent 700 for a tune that was FAR from complete, and for an oil change and to install a MAF. Well on top of that i also spent over 2000 to rent a truck, trailor, 3 days hotel stays, food, gas etc etc just to get it out to him. Well it was suppose to be tuned weds I got there early weds morning and he hadnt gotten the lisense from EFI live so he had to wait ok, well gave him the MAF as he and others had suggested me to get a maf, showed him the website with the wiring diagram and the MAF calibrations so that he could load um. Anyway then the next prob, he said my HP tune was locked so i downloaded my stock tune and it unlocked it kinda weird since I dont even know how to lock it, but ok. Then he couldnt get it to run right and later found that he hadn't put in the MAF calcs as I had told him he needed to. Long story short got home started it the car idled like crap and threw a bunch of codes. Tried to drive it and it still ran bad worse then when I had tried tuning it myself with HP in SD. Thought maybe it needed to relearn as the altitude had changed 3000 ft, so undid the batt and let it sit all night. Hooked it back up still ran bad recieved my EFI live setup this morning and downloaded the tune and noticed that my spark table was not really that great, the IFR was off a bit and my speedo was not changed, all my DTCs were still in play even though I had no rear O2s, no egr, no air pump, no cats, etc etc. I am crossing over from HP and having very little fun doing so but need some thoughts on what I need to do to make the tune run much better. I need the trans to shift properly and the stall to apply and release properly. I am loading the tune that was installed and the tune that I have been working on all day to rectify the problem which is labeled 0001. Please any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. Heard you guys acually help out a fellow tuner heres a list of everything thats done to the car

02 Trans am

7.0L LS7 block with forged -4cc Mahle pistons, 1.5mm powerpac rings, callies rods, Eagle forged crank, 24 tooth reluctor wheel, 7.0 GM MLS head gaskets, ARP head, rod, and main studs and bolts, Stock untouched brand new L92 heads with upgraded comp springs good for 650 lift, stock L92 rockers, stock untouched new L76 intake with matching 40 pound injectors, Racetronics intank 340 walbro pump with hotwire wiring installed, stock L76 fuel rail, 90mm throttle body cable operated, 100mm lingenfelter MAF, MSD wires, stock 02 coils, NGK TR6 spark plugs, MTI clear lid, K&N filter, 4in silicone connector, Vengeance camshaft specs are 238,254 duration 605,598 lift, 114 lobe sep 110 intake centerline +4 advance ground in, Kooks 1 7/8s headers with matching kooks dual 3in non catted Y-pipe, corsa catback, moser rear with 3.50 gears, 315/30/18 rear tires, 4l60E trans stock, 2800 stall converter, car has no emissions components on it.

Redline Motorsports
August 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Bandit,

Just did a GTO with basically the same mods........whats the big deal with your tuner??

I'll check out your tune in the morning and see if I can help.

Howard

Redline Motorsports
August 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Holy crap!

30 degrees timing! Too much timing up top and not enough down low for starters!

GMPX
August 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Nice gesture Howard, keep us posted guys :)

Cheers,
Ross

Bruce Melton
August 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Bandit,
Where are you located?

Howard,
I have a few tunes that should work to start but from C5s with stock MAF and MN6. This is obviously a biggish project-

bandit
August 19th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Hey thanks for the replies and I was told by the tuner that he dynoed it and 30 degrees gave him the most horsepower and I agree with the timing downlow hence Y you see that I added quite a bit downlow in my tune but keep the same up top. I am not going to go into details or name names thats not the kind of person I am. Me being a tuner for less than 4-5 monthes and he supposed to be a master with 14 years experience its really bad that I took one look at this tune and knew how screwed it was. Maybe it was because he had kept me there 2 extra days anyway or was tired, bad day at home I dont know. I did reasearch and the replies I got said I would be in good hands. Lesson learned I guess I am located in layton Utah and the car NEEDED to be ready to race on SAT, which of course it wasnt, cause I am dropping in the points race cause the cars not running right. All help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

bandit
August 19th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Bruce the MAF is not stock its the lingenfelter 100mm MAF and they give you the calcs to use that get you pretty darn close. Whats an MN6??? This is also in an 02 trans am ot a vette. Howard appreciate the help as well thanks to both you guys.

Doc
August 19th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the situation. I take it you have a wideband setup? Are you familiar with getting the car in OLSD? AutoVE?

Bruce Melton
August 19th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Bruce the MAF is not stock its the lingenfelter 100mm MAF and they give you the calcs to use that get you pretty darn close. Whats an MN6??? This is also in an 02 trans am ot a vette. Howard appreciate the help as well thanks to both you guys.
I am willing to give you a tune that I did for our LS7s with ported L92 heads for C5s. The specs are similar to yours, that you listed but you will need to adapt the tune to your car in several areas- MAF, injectors (SVO 42s), TB (LS7), cam and MN6 (which is manual trans) etc.. I am not big on mail order tunes so it is up to you or Howard to adapt the tune to your car. I can tell you the tune does address the areas that look bad from the tune you posted.
Your VE table looks contrived.
For a being a relatively new to EFI live guy (without a wideband?) you are in a difficult position, but I guess you know that.

bandit
August 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Hey Bruce I would love to see a tune that would at least help me in the right direction, I am only new to EFI live not to tuning I did great with my old setup which was a 408 turbo in 2bar SD with HP tuners. I am just trying to get this setup proper and seems like a pain haha. But I do have a wide band and I am learning the auto tune and such that EFI live offer. Do you want me to send you a PM with my email??? I can do the adapting i have been looking at a few tunes but all nothing with a similar setup like mine.

joecar
August 19th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Bandit,

Welcome to the forum... :cheers:

Your current tune file is GM OS 12212156...

Here's a plan:
1. copy/edit various tables from Bruce's tune file;
2. use the spreadsheet to calculate your IFR table;
3. increase trans. shift pressures (see images);
4. install your wideband and verify that it reads correctly;
5. do the AutoVE tune procedure (see AutoVE tutorial);
6. at this point you're in OLSD, see how it runs (MAF-less);
7. install COS5: showthread.php?p=52999#post52999 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=52999#post52999) post #228, see how it runs (MAF-less);
8. tune idle: showthread.php?t=4661 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4661)
9. tweak shift points and shift times;
11. install MAF and auto tune MAF table (similar procedure to AutoVE tune);

Edit: There might be other steps to insert.

Sounds like a lot, but you should be able to progress thruu all that quickly.

Some tables you can copy from HPT to spreadsheet and then into EFILive.

bandit
August 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the insight I think I am gunna wait for bruce to send me the file he said he'd share with me so i can look a it and see where I am off so bad. I even tried downloading the tuners tune again to see if it just needed to reset somehow but nope ran so bad everytime I gave it gas it backfired and popped. Trans was shifting erratically and torque converter setting are whack cause the car was jerking ALOT. I simply installed my tune from HPtuners and the car ran great except for the trans and TCC setting which for some reason i cant get right. Anyone who is a god with tuning big cam big engines want to take a flight to Utah for a day or 2 Im buying!!!! Sad thing is Im serious as I plan on either flying in someone willing or something to get this right I dont have the time to learn at this point I have to get back in the points races or lose and Ive missed too much already