PDA

View Full Version : Timing after Speed Density

NewV
August 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM
I've got my VE table dialed in great. I don't know when I will get a chance to get it on a dyno. In the meantime any advice on where and how much timing I can safely add to get some additional ponies?

2005 Cadillac CTS-V LS6

BlackGMC
August 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM
I have read to add it slowly monitoring your KR, add it until you get KR and back it off a little bit.

NewV
August 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
Added 2 degrees across the board. Definately woke it uip.

Thanks

Big Kahuna
August 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Altering the timing will alter the AFR. Check your VE table again and you'll find it needs to be altered to bring it back to where it was.

NewV
August 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Altering the timing will alter the AFR. Check your VE table again and you'll find it needs to be altered to bring it back to where it was.

How so? Not doubting you just trying to learn. Is it because the fuel is being burned faster?

Doc
August 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Go back to the fire triangle/internal combustion basics...with respect to advancing/retarding the timing of the spark plug firing you are literally changing the whole burn event. The speed density tune you have been working on is based on the Air prediction table or VE; this is intrinsicly related to the spark tables that are based on airflow grams per cyliner, gm.dyncylair_dma

Fuel, Air, Spark they are all interacting with each other.

I am sure somebody else could give you a more statesman like, learned response. This is the best I can do right before bedtime.

NewV
August 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Go back to the fire triangle/internal combustion basics...with respect to advancing/retarding the timing of the spark plug firing you are literally changing the whole burn event. The speed density tune you have been working on is based on the Air prediction table or VE; this is intrinsicly related to the spark tables that are based on airflow grams per cyliner, gm.dyncylair_dma

Fuel, Air, Spark they are all interacting with each other.

I am sure somebody else could give you a more statesman like, learned response. This is the best I can do right before bedtime.

Ok I get the whole timing of the spark but thought the VE table after the speed density tune simply gave me an educated view of airflow capabilities. I guess I thought the computer really determined how much fuel to give it compared to airflow and would compensate for the added timing. However I think I see your point as I am determining VE based on measurement after the fire during the exhaust cycle.

I need to do some more VE logging this weekend and check it out.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

Big Kahuna
August 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
DO something simple like dropping the timing at idle speeds. You'll find the AFR richens up.