PDA

View Full Version : Why EFILive Rocks

AllCammedUp
June 7th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I've been doing a good bit of scanning on my car, trying to baseline it until I can get the time to dedicate to starting and finishing with a SD tune. I had the laptop in the passenger seat, going down a fairly crowded four-lane highway here in Louisville. It was during the middle of a Saturday afternoon, and lots of people were out and about.

I had been logging for over 20 minutes and had a lot of good throttle transitions and load points in this recording, and I was thinking to myself that this one was going to be a great log to analyze... so I'm cruising along, and this old couple in a chevy malibu decides to cut over two lanes of traffic an do a Uie in the middle of the road in front of me. I have to slam on the brakes and in an effort to keep all of my equipment from flying into the floor and breaking, I slam the lid shut on the laptop and grab it quickly to keep it from slamming into the floor at 50 mph.

I knew what was going to happen - the laptop when closed would enter standby mode, and I thought for sure I'd lose my log due to the connectivity to the vehicle being interrupted. Well, lo and behold, I powered the laptop back up and EFILive came back to life, reconnected, and kept right on recording, all without me missing a beat or doing anything.

I get home and analyze the log file, and it is peferct (except for the obvious gaps when the laptop was powered off).

Kudos go to Paul and Ross for creating such a robust platform.

I guess if I had been black-boxing this wouldn't be an issue, but I love to look at the pretty gauges. ;)

Dirk Diggler
June 8th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Ive had my share of standby's hehhehehe

jsttry
June 8th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Works like a charm even when my laptop goes into hybernation...just keeps on logging when you start it up again.

Even better, if your laptop does crash EFILive has a temporary file that you can rename to .efi and you have the log up to the point when your laptop crashed. It has been discussed before on the forum. I'd go find where the file is but that would mean I'd have to go start the car up to do some logging and I'm sure the neighbours wouldn't appreciate that at 11pm at night :D

Bruce Melton
June 8th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Agreed.
I found that you can interrupt the log by shutting the engine off and as long as the laptop does not sleep the log will resume at startup with no intervention.
Made a log of a track day with the laptop belted in. The day included four 20 min runs and several ignition off breaks. Played back fine and was fun yet scary to review. These LS engines are incredibly resilient.

GMPX
June 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Ever tried explaining to a cop why you have this thing on the steering column cycling these strange numbers, why do you have a laptop running in the car, Email?, no sir, I was in a rush and must have left it on in the front seat, meanwhile, lets be thankful he had no idea how to use the charts in EFILive to see what I had been upto!!.

Of course these days with the little box just sitting under the seat who cares!!, also means the Mrs can ride up front now too :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Ross