PDA

View Full Version : Spark Tables: 00 vs. 02

RevGTO
August 28th, 2007, 02:50 PM
When I migrated my tune from the 2000 OS to 2002, I copied and pasted the 00 high octane table to the new OS, but left the other spark tables unchanged - low octance, base spark, optimal timing, etc. I'm wondering if I should copy over the other 00 tables as far as is possible; in other words, if the high octane table needs correct references from those other tables to function optimally. I appreciate any guidance ...

SSpdDmon
August 29th, 2007, 01:37 AM
When upgrading OS's, I change 95+% of the '02 tables back to the '00 settings. The only ones I really leave the same are the ones that aren't there. You can probably get away with things like using the '02 fuel trim settings because they're an 'after-the-fact' measure of how the system is working. But when it comes to actual commanded operation (timing, fueling, etc.), I'd use what was in the old tune. :)

joecar
August 29th, 2007, 04:20 AM
That's right, the idea is to reuse your existing pre-2002/pre-COS tables because they have been tailored for your version of engine/trans (from GM and from you or your tuner if heads/cam/block was installed).

Don't assume that 2002 tables are good for you, unless, as SSpdDmon said, they are new and didn't exist in your pre-2002/pre-COS tune (...and you may have to tune these tables also in some cases).

RevGTO
August 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks, guys. Y'know, when I did the migration, I changed the high octane table because that's the bread and butter of your spark curve, and the 02 was significantly less aggressive. Although I compared and adjusted many other tables, somehow I never bothered with the adjunct spark tables.

It seems logical that since the different spark tables are designed to work together, it would be best to use all the settings from one year.

But when you have an LS6 intake and no EGR on your 00, in some ways you're more like an 02, so you wonder which settings to use.

SSpdDmon
August 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks, guys. Y'know, when I did the migration, I changed the high octane table because that's the bread and butter of your spark curve, and the 02 was significantly less aggressive. Although I compared and adjusted many other tables, somehow I never bothered with the adjunct spark tables.

It seems logical that since the different spark tables are designed to work together, it would be best to use all the settings from one year.

But when you have an LS6 intake and no EGR on your 00, in some ways you're more like an 02, so you wonder which settings to use.
It's more in the heads/cam design than the intake and such....at least, that's what I believe I have observed.

RevGTO
August 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM
The intake must affect VE among other things. My fuel trims certainly jumped way up after the install.

My car is a late 00 with 241 heads like 01/02, but of course with the early cam with wider LSA. I'm in a kind of hybrid zone - my tune reflects that.

SSpdDmon
August 30th, 2007, 02:10 AM
The intake must affect VE among other things. My fuel trims certainly jumped way up after the install.

My car is a late 00 with 241 heads like 01/02, but of course with the early cam with wider LSA. I'm in a kind of hybrid zone - my tune reflects that.
VE, yes. Timing...not as much. It may affect it some...but, not like a head/cam swap would. It seems to be a bit of a unique setup you have. That's for sure. :)

RevGTO
August 31st, 2007, 01:47 AM
The thing is that better flowing intake and exhaust increases actual VE and that affects optimum timing curve. Not as radically as heads/cam, to be sure, but enough to require tuning. It's certainly working out that way in my case.