PDA

View Full Version : Convert ETC to cable TB

xtreme
September 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I am helping a customer that installed a 5.3 out of a 05 truck into a 83 pickup. Can I delete the Electronic throttle control and use a cable throttle body? There are other issues with the IAC ..etc.. Does anyone have any wiring information help for this conversion?

2002_z28_six_speed
September 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yes. I have done this.

I just bolted on parts to the newer longblock and then used an Operating System that didn't have fly by wire. My engine was a 2004 LM4.

I changed the throttle body and wiring harness. I think most all of the sensors were the same. I think I played around with the steam tubes. It wasn't that bad. Small mods.

I don't think the 05 5.3L engines have a different crank reluxor than 2004 5.3L engines. You would have to ask.

xtreme
September 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I guess that you used a wiring harness and a 512 PCM. He was wanting to use the 1mb PCM. Is there a OS for the 12582605 PCM that supports the cable throttle body.

4wheelin
February 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Did anyone come up with an answer or is it a case of buy a 512 ECU?

s10mods
February 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I bought a 6.0 out of an 06 van that was still cable throttle. I believe all the vans were cable throttle up to 06, if you found a file from a van it might have cable throttle. I thought I saw one on holdercrazy some time back.

s10mods
February 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
here is one from holder crazy, it's for an 04 with a 6.0 but you could try a full flash, the pcm might accept it, if it does then just find a 5.3 of the same os and do a segment swap.

4wheelin
February 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Is the IAC wiring the same as the red/blue plug LS1 pcm? I have it running and the ecu is attempting to control the idle but there is no response, no IAC movement, I notice the plugs are not interchangeable between pcms. All I have is wiring for the red/blue 512k connector pcm. I have the green/blue pcm 1mb.

Cheers

Joel

GAMEOVER
February 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I did a transplant a couple of months ago (2001 DBW Denali 6.0ltr into Jeep Wrangler) The owner "INSISTED" on a cable operated throttle body instead of the drive-by-wire.
I did a full re-flash on the Denali pcm using the OS from a 2001 Silverado 6.0 w/ cable throttle body
Located and pinned out the signal's for the TPS & IAC. Fired right up...
Also, I used the wiring harness from the Denali.

s10mods
February 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Is the IAC wiring the same as the red/blue plug LS1 pcm? I have it running and the ecu is attempting to control the idle but there is no response, no IAC movement, I notice the plugs are not interchangeable between pcms. All I have is wiring for the red/blue 512k connector pcm. I have the green/blue pcm 1mb.

Cheers

Joel

I am pretty sure the IAC and TPS pinouts are the same on the 1mb as they are on the 512K. tomorrow I can look at the schematic for an 04 or 05 van, and let you know.

4wheelin
February 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
That would be great.

Joel

4wheelin
February 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM
here is one from holder crazy, it's for an 04 with a 6.0 but you could try a full flash, the pcm might accept it, if it does then just find a 5.3 of the same os and do a segment swap.

That was the one I tried but it is ETC, it logs TAC comms faults so is a ETC cal.

Joel

4wheelin
February 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I found the wiring for the 1mb green plug pcm and it is the same, http://www.chevythunder.com/2004_gto_pcm_pinouts.htmwiring, so I switched in a 512 kb PCM by changing the plug locator things from green to red and lone behold the IAC works, the vehicle won't run as it is a locked PCM I am yet to return but I can see a test IAC motor step out on ignition on. I am using a 2004 GTO Pontiac 12587604 cal as it is the only cable operated 1mb one I have been able to find.
Question being can anything other than a stuffed PCM cause the IAC to not work. I can see the IAC-SUM dropping but the IAC does not move, odly it hasn't logged an idle control fault which makes me wonder if there may be a tune parameter I've missed. It idles at 1800 rpm.
Oh yeah and someone prior to me has TIG welded a mount bracket to the case.

I have to deal with a 4L80E trans as well so if anyone has the van cal that is 4l80e and cable in a 1 mb ls1 PCM that would be lovely.

Cheers

Joel

s10mods
February 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I looked at the schematics for an 04 van and it shows the ETC and IAC wiring, so it might have been an option. if you want the diagrams PM me your e-mail and I will send them to you.

4wheelin
March 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
In looking over the various Calibrations it seems there are those with ETC in them even though they are cable, the diagnostic processes are different for the two, I am going to set up the diagnostic enablers as per a cable car in regards to TAC module communications, throtlle processes and IAC and see what happens.

Joel

4wheelin
March 1st, 2009, 11:02 PM
That didn't work. Oh Well

4wheelin
March 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Had the 512 PCM opened up and there were no IAC drivers. The Calibration went in and ran fine but no idle motor control, there may be 2 512kb PCM part no's?

Joel