PDA

View Full Version : PCM Catastrophy

roy
September 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Okay I went to reflash my PCM (1998 LS1) with a new tune and get a message that the boot loader failed or something like that. Then it goes with the standard 15 seconds for shut down. Pcm is now non functioning even if you pull the (-) cable off and put back on on. Car still wouldn't start.

Rehooked up the EFI Tune and itried to reflash and came up with the message that the calibration was corrupt or missing. I hit okay to continue and then get the Boot loader error again.

When I tried it the third time it did the same sequence of errors.

I had another PCM and installed it and the car firred up . (THank goodness) .

I then proceeded to program this PCM also but use the test mode. I keep getting the Boot loader error. But at least the PCM recovered.

Next I tried to read the PCM but I get the Boot loader error and the car will not start until I unhook the negative and then rehook it back up.

The version of EFI I am using is V7.4.2 (Build 622). I am currently downloading again.

Until now I have had no problem. But this is the firstime I used this particular version though.

So what am I doing wrong now that I wasn't before?

joecar
September 8th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I pm'd Paul.

Doc
September 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Do you have V1 or V2? Did you try flashing the OS & Cal in slow mode? I have found that the V2 in fast mode can be a little too fast for some 98s.

Blacky
September 8th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Please locate the *.blx file that would have been created when you got the first bootlader error.

It will be in the folder: \My documents\EFILive\V7\Bug Reports
The file will be called YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_download.blx
Where
YYYYMMDD is the year, month and day and
HHMMSS is the hour, minute and second that the download (i.e. reflash) was attempted.

Please send that file to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

roy
September 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM
@ Doc - It is V1 and I got the error using slow or fast mode with cal or cal &OS reflash.

@ Paul - I sent the BLX files.

Best Regards

roy
September 17th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Email I sent to Paul earlier.

Today I did some more trouble shooting on the wires from the DLC back to the PCM. All are good. Then I hooked the serial cable to the DLC and checked again, a couple leads were showing intermittent continuity. I tested the serial cable and it was good. I looked at the small female spring clips in the DLC and they looked slightly deformed. I bent the spring clips slightly as to give more tension on the male end of the serial cable going into the DLC. Well it seemed to do the job. I was able to successfully read and flash my PCM.

joecar
September 17th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Roy, do you have any close up pics...?

roy
September 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Roy, do you have any close up pics...?
Of the DLC, specifically the springclips ? I could get one tomorrow as I put everything back together .

joecar
September 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Of the DLC, specifically the springclips ? I could get one tomorrow as I put everything back together .Yes, the spring clips and the DLC in various states of dis-assembly.

Thanks. :cheers:

Blacky
September 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM
That is good news.

It may be a good investment to get new pins fitted. You can purchase replacement pins here:
http://www.multiplex-engineering.com/products.htm
Scroll down until you see the "Female OBDII pins".

Regards
Paul

joecar
September 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I haven't tried, but it looks like the MetriPack pin extraction tool will work with those pins, will it...?

roy
September 17th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Paul Thanks for the Advice on the pins.

Joe, I used a very fine jewelers flat blade screwdriver to push the plastic retaining clip, so it would release the pins from the DLC.