PDA

View Full Version : can somebody look at my tune?

mvvette97
September 8th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I am new to this tuning and have no idea what to look for. I have a mail order tune from Wait4me. I since have installed 4.10 gears. I did manage to get the spedo corrected. The car has some surging and just doesn't seem to run like it should. Mods are LTs, ORY, ported TB, LS6 intakem comp 228/230 571/573 112lsa, 4.10 gears. does everything look to be close to what it should be? I don't even know if I attached the correct file so if I didn't please help me out. Thanks
Marc

tblu92
September 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
hello---Did you call jesse and tell him about the surging ??Tunes with major mods like cams take some extra time to get the idle and surging nailed down--I'm sure he can fix it for you--i know he is very busy --just be patient--As far as tuners go---you won't find a better one than Jesse----period !!!!!

mvvette97
September 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
hello---Did you call jesse and tell him about the surging ??Tunes with major mods like cams take some extra time to get the idle and surging nailed down--I'm sure he can fix it for you--i know he is very busy --just be patient--As far as tuners go---you won't find a better one than Jesse----period !!!!!I never call him. It was a while back when I had him do the tune. I know it is hard to get a cammed car tuned right. I mean it's alot better than the stock tune by far. I just bought the EFI so I thought maybe I would be able to figure it out but I'm having second thoughts. haha

5.7ute
September 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM
If you post some logs of the tune while it is surging someone will be able to help. Also if you can give a bit more info on when it is surging. Like if it is happening at idle, light throttle while cruising,under acceleration etc.

mvvette97
September 9th, 2007, 07:10 PM
If you post some logs of the tune while it is surging someone will be able to help. Also if you can give a bit more info on when it is surging. Like if it is happening at idle, light throttle while cruising,under acceleration etc.Yea I'll see if I can get some logs. It mostly surges under 1500 rpm
when I'm just barly on the throttle and also when I am coasting to a stop not even touching the throttle. It also will die from time to time when i stop. It just doesn't seem to have much throttle response like it should when your just setting there reving the engine.

5.7ute
September 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Have a look at sspdemon's tutorial on idle. I am pretty sure you will find the answer in there. Also do a rafig log.(rafpn as well if it is an auto)

mvvette97
September 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Ok, I took it for a drive while I was logging it. I did few pulls and right at last I slowed down and it started bucking when I got below 1500 rpm. I then stopped and it kinda acted like it wanted to die for a second. Anyway here is the log.

tblu92
September 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
some engines react differently to tuning than others--without the car here i can only make suggestions based on my own experience--
these are the usual things i work on for cam changes
1. add 3-4 * timing to the base timing in gear & in P/N up to .28 grms
2. tables B4317 & B4319 throttle follower --take a % out (start with 2-3%)
If you go too far it will have a hanging idle then back off a bit
3. table B4307 desired airflow ADD a % start with 2-3%--same-if you get a hanging idle or cruise controll effect --back off some

4. Throttle cracker( can't remember table) ) "0" out 0-4 MPH --also subtract about 50% globally--again too far will cause a cruise control effect

these usually will fix most---a good starting place

mvvette97
September 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
some engines react differently to tuning than others--without the car here i can only make suggestions based on my own experience--
3. table B4307 desired airflow ADD a % start with 2-3%--same-if you get a hanging idle or cruise controll effect --back off some

4. Throttle cracker( can't remember table) ) "0" out 0-4 MPH --also subtract about 50% globally--again too far will cause a cruise control effect

these usually will fix most---a good starting placethanks, I will give that a try.

mvvette97
September 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM

these usually will fix most---a good starting placewell I just went over my current tune and it is already set to the changes that you recommend. So what should I do now?

5.7ute
September 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Have you had a look at this thread yet? http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4661
There is a lot of great information in there.

Doc
September 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I looked at your tune and your log. Not a bad start but, there is room for in-person improvement. I didn't see a wideband reading in the log? If you don't have one yet, get one. Do you have a V1 or V2? Have you consumed the tutorials yet? AutoVE? I'd be glad to help you along, get the WBO2.

mvvette97
September 10th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I looked at your tune and your log. Not a bad start but, there is room for in-person improvement. I didn't see a wideband reading in the log? If you don't have one yet, get one. Do you have a V1 or V2? Have you consumed the tutorials yet? AutoVE? I'd be glad to help you along, get the WBO2.
I have the V1 and don't have a wideband yet. Yea I have been reading for days but it's just kinda hard to understand. I'm used to changing jets and turning air screws, haha. Now what is the AutoVE?

mvvette97
September 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I may have another problem, I noticed that my throttle position sensor has had the little tab cut off and the holes drilled I guess so the other guy could adjust it. I don't even know where it is set at. How should I go about getting it back to stock? The throttle stop screw has also been adjusted because they had taken it out and put it in backwards, I guess so they could adjust it easier. I bought this TB complete so I think the adjustments are all out of whak. How can i go about setting it back?

5.7ute
September 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Have a look at you IAC counts with the scan tool. From memory you want it at around 45 at idle. Check out this thread, it will get you sorted. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4219&highlight=iac+count

mvvette97
September 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Have a look at you IAC counts with the scan tool. From memory you want it at around 65 at idle. Check out this thread, it will get you sorted. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4219&highlight=iac+count
No I haven't. Will my EFI Live be able to read it?

5.7ute
September 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Log the pid GMIAC in the air section. I am pretty sure it is on the bidi controls as well.

mvvette97
September 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Log the pid GMIAC in the air section. I am pretty sure it is on the bidi controls as well.Ill see if I can find it. Still tryin to figure out how it all works

tblu92
September 10th, 2007, 07:00 PM
other fixes i've tried are:
B5936 add 25%
B4519 sub 50%
B4315 add 15%

also i would increase the settings on the previous tables until you get the hanging idle or cruise control effect

wait4me
September 12th, 2007, 09:37 AM
It is more than likely your throttle body giving you the issue. That is a custom os file that will automatically tune itself. So for that to work, the pcm and its sensors ect have to be all in working order.

If it was me, i would try leaving the tune where it was, and just opening the throttle blade up a little at a time and start the car, then see if the idle is still what is being commanded/actual, if it is, then go a bit more on the turning of the blade, keep going until it hangs a little higher than commanded, then, just back it down a little, that way no matter what the pcm cant command less air than the engine needs before stalling.

That will also fix the surging, unless it is a lean condition.

mvvette97
September 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
It is more than likely your throttle body giving you the issue. That is a custom os file that will automatically tune itself. So for that to work, the pcm and its sensors ect have to be all in working order.

If it was me, i would try leaving the tune where it was, and just opening the throttle blade up a little at a time and start the car, then see if the idle is still what is being commanded/actual, if it is, then go a bit more on the turning of the blade, keep going until it hangs a little higher than commanded, then, just back it down a little, that way no matter what the pcm cant command less air than the engine needs before stalling.

That will also fix the surging, unless it is a lean condition.Thanks Jesse, that makes total sense. Another thing, why does it seem to have poor throttle response? I mean it seemed to have better response when the car was all stock. It just seems like it boggs or something in the low and mid range.

wait4me
September 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM
without wideband info, that is a hard question to answer.

usually it could be a vaccume leak, or a bad o2 sensor, or something like that.