PDA

View Full Version : E38 gmc 5.3L truck ???

1FastZ
September 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hey guys, sorry I'm kinda new at this. My dad bought an 07' e38 1/2 ton gmc with th 5.3 and he wants it tuned. More power, maybe mileage? Anybody have any ideas, or maybe point me in the right direction? I have done an 01' 5.3, and a few duramaxes, but this truck I'm not sure on. Truck is stock. Any help would be appreciated.

Doc
September 18th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Asssuming the truck is totally stock, start with logging spark. I think you will find some interesting things going on in there. Very conservative, minding the new 100k mile warranty. Watch for weak spark in light cruise, especially where you start putting a small gradual load- the converter unlocks pretty quick and downshifts. This eats gas. For more performance look for the usual GM truck nanny settings, PE enable, etc.

1FastZ
September 18th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks Doc, but there isnt anything in efilive yet for changing converter lock up or shiftpoints on this truck. I know about PE and timing areas as well as TM, but am I missing something, because I cant seem to find tranny calibrations? They dont come up when I open the tune file. Can we just not do these yet?

kbracing96
September 19th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I believe with the E38's, you have a separate trans controller. (T42?) Try reading it.

Doc
September 19th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks Doc, but there isnt anything in efilive yet for changing converter lock up or shiftpoints on this truck. I know about PE and timing areas as well as TM, but am I missing something, because I cant seem to find tranny calibrations? They dont come up when I open the tune file. Can we just not do these yet?

I know, I know....What I am trying to say is the spark calibration on the trucks I have scanned is so weak in those areas that an measured/sane increase stops the TQ converter from unlocking.

cmitchell17
September 20th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I dont get the TCC locking settings on the trucks.

Mine will always lock when I give it more gas going up a hill. Theres nothing in my tune that tells it to do that, and it does it stock too.