PDA

View Full Version : efans experiment

ExtTB
September 23rd, 2007, 02:19 AM
trying to do efans with efi live..any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...I am trying to do my efans myself( for now) with efi live and a ls1 fans.. ecm ac control through relay for 1 fan.. flexalite temp box from battery for the other..in system/fans they all shut off over 35mph...I changed the fan setting in system/vats/platform options to electric...so now I am going to take out the clucth fan and see if it throws codes that hopefully I can disable in engine diagnostics....anyone have any thoughts or experience on this???

i am thinking to raise temp limits in system/fans so ecm will only control ac on the one fan

i have no choice since I keep getting P0493 and engine reduced power with this stupid 4th clutch

ScarabEpic22
September 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Cant do it, no way to kill the REP light with the available parameters in EFILive, I know, Ive checked numerous times.

Go ahead and try it, I highly doubt you can get it to work without getting a hex editor and manually editing the binary file of your tune, and I have no idea what to modify.

ExtTB
September 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
ripped out clutch installed efans... only went like 2 miles and back so far ok hammered it twice..no errors yet but time will tell....feels like a different truck

ScarabEpic22
September 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Do you have the I6 or the 5.3L V8? If you have the V8s then you probably can rip them out, but the I6 you should get a bunch of errors. If you arent, what did you change in your tune?

ExtTB
September 24th, 2007, 11:19 AM
2003 TB EXT I-6 LL8

the fan setting in system/vats/platform options to electric...and disabled P0493....it works on my i-6 all day today but am getting a check engine light code for fan but not reduced engine power anymore..the light doesnt bug me much

UPDATE pcm4less patched my file (previous tune)today and so far no error codes ....man this truck is fast now..tuned for premium no cat and efans.......

ScarabEpic22
September 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Nice man. Didnt see the Electric fans option in there.

Did Alvin patch your tune file or actually patch your PCM? Is that all you did to get it to work, or did Alvin work his magic earlier on your tune?

ExtTB
September 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM
i sent him my file and he patched it but my file was working ok from the previous tune.....still working out the kinks since my one fan relay clicks with the pulse of the white wire....... going to put a capacitor on it to see if i can stop the pulse....i realize now that the fan clutch is pulsed to control the speed ...i could hook it up to the ac compressor but then it wont cut out at 35mph like the clutch fan....still testing since this is my idea not there kit...I really dont know what they changed except for premium gas that i asked and removing the torque management....still get a ses light for fan control like my file but no reduced engine power on my edit or pcm's

ExtTB
May 13th, 2008, 12:19 AM
ok it is working great now thanks to a circuit that fools the ecu that pcms 4 less sent me

JAY4SPEED
May 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM
After Alvin did the patch, can you read the file with EFILive or is the file now incompatable with EFIlive?

Jay

ExtTB
May 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM
they can only do what you can do....turn off some of the error codes...now the tuning part is where they have the knowledge

pjaneiro
June 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Hey there, do you have access to a flasher ? there might be a place where you can get the p1814 disabled now...

you can reach me at pjaneiro@hotmail.com...

goldbergv95
January 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I like to know exactly what alivn did for you. Since we all have efans, can you post up your file?

ExtTB
January 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
the file wont help.my file only has a tune for my cai and exhaust..you need to make a simple circuit to pulse the hall effect sensor from maybe the cam sensor with a zener diode....set the fan diagnostics to 18 volts so it wont run diag...it may be possible without the pulse if you set fan min to zero and disable all fan seting and use a flexalite temp box....you will need to have one fan always to keep the tranny and ac cold unless you live where is cold..it took me forever to get it to run without a check engine light and now i have one anyway for small vac leak... i had to put a cap on the relay since the damn computer wants to pluse the relay like a clutch....2 temp boes would probably be the best... one engages from the ac clutch and temp and the other maybe at 210... one problem is your headlights will dim for a moment when you come to a stop and both fans come on...unless you leave one fan on always..I know this is choppy but its late... i do use one box and the computer but my computer controlled fan comes on at 15.9 set as low speed since i like it to shut off at 35 mph...i didnt touch the high and low fan temp settings..the flexalite box brings the one fan on slower than the computer.. i just stck the probe into the raditor and used th vette dual fans

goldbergv95
January 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
what do you mean "wont run diag"?

I used the ls1 fans. I notice that pcmforless change the fans min voltage from 8.5 to 25 on my tune. Both fans work at stop but I dont know if they work while driving. But several times I heard a whistle owl noise when shifting gears from 1 to 2. What about you?

ExtTB
January 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
wont run diagnostics.....that is set so if your battery went low the car wouldnt look for the fan...so they raise the voltage above the 14 volts that the alternator puts out.... so anything 15 or higher would have the same effect...i have the preimium, mid grade and econmoy tune stored I had to agree not to post my file..i also gave them feedback on my fan issues ...so kelly and Alvin would be upset if i posted my file since it would reveal the tune to everyone..I can resond to questions on the fans and efi settings since i did all that testing myself

goldbergv95
January 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
wont run diagnostics.....that is set so if your battery went low the car wouldnt look for the fan...so they raise the voltage above the 14 volts that the alternator puts out.... so anything 15 or higher would have the same effect...i have the preimium, mid grade and econmoy tune stored I had to agree not to post my file..i also gave them feedback on my fan issues ...so kelly and Alvin would be upset if i posted my file since it would reveal the tune to everyone..I can resond to questions on the fans and efi settings since i did all that testing myself

Not even just the fan part? Come on now, everybody is doing it.:hihi:

But tell me something, when you reach 2.5rpm and the speed will make the rpm will go lower then raise higher to increase speed, did you experiecne a hesistation or struggle when it down shifts below 2 rpm then goes up beyond 2rpm?

pjaneiro
January 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Well for starters, i stopped using EFILIVE as it clearly destroyed my PCM, i had tooooo many issues after the january 8th and later revisions of the software, it seemed to not like my os revision of the pcm, and i know i am NOT the only with this issue

Anyhow the way i have my efans setup is like this,

i used a flexalite controller with a/c bypass number 33054 Variable Speed Control Module

if you do not have issues with your efilive and pcm you will need to change g1021 to 18v or more so it disables the clucth fan diagnostics

you can check on my photobucket for more pics of installation, ALSO i would suggest to trim the efan so it sits flush on the rad, having the upper and lower lip as is, would allow hot air from the engine bay to be sucked from the sides and not through the rad, affecting the performance of the efan

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/updated%20efan/?start=20

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/e-fan%20parts/

goldbergv95
January 31st, 2009, 10:11 AM
Well for starters, i stopped using EFILIVE as it clearly destroyed my PCM, i had tooooo many issues after the january 8th and later revisions of the software, it seemed to not like my os revision of the pcm, and i know i am NOT the only with this issue

Anyhow the way i have my efans setup is like this,

i used a flexalite controller with a/c bypass number 33054 Variable Speed Control Module

if you do not have issues with your efilive and pcm you will need to change g1021 to 18v or more so it disables the clucth fan diagnostics

you can check on my photobucket for more pics of installation, ALSO i would suggest to trim the efan so it sits flush on the rad, having the upper and lower lip as is, would allow hot air from the engine bay to be sucked from the sides and not through the rad, affecting the performance of the efan

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/updated%20efan/?start=20

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/e-fan%20parts/

But what your are doing is cutting the efans smaller then. Isnt that a bad thing? I thought the efans are big enough for the rad?

ScarabEpic22
January 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM
If you want me to patch your tune for efans, I played with this over the summer talking with pjaneuro extensively. Just patching my PCM then unplugging my fan clutch wiring harness I got no DTC, REP, SES or lights in general. Had the scanner running full time and the PCM never balked at me. Now if I could just get the $$ for efans, prob get a WBO2 first.

goldbergv95
January 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM
If you want me to patch your tune for efans, I played with this over the summer talking with pjaneuro extensively. Just patching my PCM then unplugging my fan clutch wiring harness I got no DTC, REP, SES or lights in general. Had the scanner running full time and the PCM never balked at me. Now if I could just get the $$ for efans, prob get a WBO2 first.

That would be great! :hihi: 4648

pjaneiro
January 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
But what your are doing is cutting the efans smaller then. Isnt that a bad thing? I thought the efans are big enough for the rad?

did you look at the links i have sent ?

i am not cutting the fans smaller...
please check the pics for better understanding, everything that needs to be cut is in yellow

if you have access to an efilive you need to change g1021 to anything over 16v so the clutch fan diagnostics are disabled....

just as stated in the previous posts, there are no other "magic" settings

lol. some people like their info spoon fed.... :grin:

skneeland
January 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM
2003 TB EXT I-6 LL8

UPDATE pcm4less patched my file (previous tune)today and so far no error codes ....man this truck is fast now..tuned for premium no cat and efans.......

OK, how are you not getting a P0420 code with the CAT gone?
I have turned off everything i can find even remotely related to it and i still get a code from the idle efficiency test.

Any chance you can PM me your tune to compare? Heres the latest one i have for mine if you care to take a look

goldbergv95
January 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
did you look at the links i have sent ?

i am not cutting the fans smaller...
please check the pics for better understanding, everything that needs to be cut is in yellow

if you have access to an efilive you need to change g1021 to anything over 16v so the clutch fan diagnostics are disabled....

just as stated in the previous posts, there are no other "magic" settings

lol. some people like their info spoon fed.... :grin:

you me cut only this part?

this 2 this?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6895/efans01ko8.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2253/efans02xc5.jpg

pjaneiro
January 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM
OK, how are you not getting a P0420 code with the CAT gone?
I have turned off everything i can find even remotely related to it and i still get a code from the idle efficiency test.

Any chance you can PM me your tune to compare? Heres the latest one i have for mine if you care to take a look

You probably have one of the OS efilive does not like, mine also did that after their software updates, even if i was patched, the pcm would not take it and would eventually give me the error...

pjaneiro
January 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM
you me cut only this part?

this 2 this?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6895/efans01ko8.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2253/efans02xc5.jpg

you're killing me,

as i said the fan casing needs to be flush on the rad, sit down your efan ona table and you will notice that the bottom and top lips are longer, you need to trim them so the fan sits flush on the rad

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/e-fan%20parts/?action=view&current=DSCF0518-trimmed.jpg

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/e-fan%20parts/?action=view&current=DSCF0513-trimmed.jpg

ScarabEpic22
February 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Heres the efans stuff changed in the tune, pretty much just 0 all the fan tables, set g1021 to 25, and turn the efans VAT option on.

ExtTB
February 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
my efi works ok..I use the same flexalite box and nice gold posts for the battery for one fan mycomputer controls the other so it goes off at 35 mph.....i still get the p1481 or whatever the code was unless i use the zener diode .I set all the % to zero exceopt for the ac all 99%...makes ac ice cold...set the fan min to zero or fan will always be on... P0420 used a spacer on the back o2 sensor to move it a little out of the stream fooling the computer since there is a diff between front and back 02 readings

ScarabEpic22
February 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
You still get the P1481 code? Interesting, I only got it when I just unplugged my fan clutch wiring harness. Have you looked at the file I posted a few days back? Look through and see if all the fan parameters are the same for ya.

ExtTB
February 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
ok heres a regular fuel file

now I have changed my idle rpm because my engine shakes at regular idle and my oil pressure goes low sometimes at stock rpm.plus more juice from the alt..i increased my ac line presures since my tranny slips some at 200,000..this is a regular octane tune,,,the performance ones are faster but i fill up 3 times a week sometimes..if you have any suggestions or comments please speak up.....a word of note if use disconnect your battery or let it run low...your computer will go wacko for a day( rear ac flap knocks temps at 100 on climate control radio aux error) then u clear all dtc's an hour or 2 later..sometimes my accel pedal position throws a code right after a pcm program...then i clear the dtc's and all is good.....you may get surging right after a tune let it learn a couple trips...my thought was the clutch fan was always on at some % so the tranny and ac need the fan on..plus if you have the fan turn back on a 1 mph your lights will flicker when you pull up to a stop sign......just an experiment that keeps on going now at 207,000 miles

ExtTB
February 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
your file has high ac disable...3500 is as high as i would go....mine is low 2500 since florida is flat

goldbergv95
February 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry about that. Now I understand what you mean. Thanks:grin:

you're killing me,

as i said the fan casing needs to be flush on the rad, sit down your efan ona table and you will notice that the bottom and top lips are longer, you need to trim them so the fan sits flush on the rad

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/e-fan%20parts/?action=view&current=DSCF0518-trimmed.jpg

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/e-fan%20parts/?action=view&current=DSCF0513-trimmed.jpg

goldbergv95
February 13th, 2009, 10:01 PM
but even if we trim the efans down so that the fans touch the rad what about this part under the rad that supports the efans? How would we support the bottom of the efans then?

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2362/efanrad2hz8.jpg

goldbergv95
December 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Heres the efans stuff changed in the tune, pretty much just 0 all the fan tables, set g1021 to 25, and turn the efans VAT option on.

oh man! i never new you did the patch on my tune. Thanks alot Erik!:rockon:

but im curious, you set the calibrations all to zero wouldnt that cause the efans to turn off?

ScarabEpic22
December 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM
oh man! i never new you did the patch on my tune. Thanks alot Erik!:rockon:

but im curious, you set the calibrations all to zero wouldnt that cause the efans to turn off?

No, remember the LS1/LT1 fans operate in an on/off only manner, they are NOT PWM like the stock mechanical ones or the C6 Vette. All we are doing by setting them to 0 is telling the PCM to not try and ever turn them on. If it never tries to turn them on (and we enable the efans parameters and kills the DTCs), it never tried to do anything related to the fans. Plus, we are not actually controlling the efans from the PCM with these tables, this is why you need an aftermarket controller. Im not sure, but I imagine if you set the tables to 100% when you wanted the fans to come on you might be able to use the stock PCM output to drive the relay. This is how the SS guys do it, I cant experiment with it though.