PDA

View Full Version : Black Box Logging

C3vette75
June 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM
I just got EFILive and tried black box logging to start learning how to use it. I noticed that while the FlashScan interface was connected to the OBDII connector, driving around and comming to a stop, the car would not idle as well as it did before connecting it (almost stalling). After logging I turned the car off disconnected the FlashScan interface and drove the car again coming to several stops, idle was normal. Othewise, everything worked fine and I was able to retrive all of the data from the PIDs selected. Is this normal or am I possibly doing something wrong? :idea:

Blacky
June 15th, 2005, 10:07 AM
When you programmed the FlashScan unit with PIDs, how many channels* did you have selected?

*Note: channels are not equivalent to PIDs, some PIDs use two channels so you normally can only select less than 24 PIDs before you reach 24 channels.

If you have more than 24 channels, then FlashScan will default to Dynamic scan mode. That scan mode places a heavy demand on the class-2 network. Possibly even preventing other messages from being transmitted. That may effect idle quality.

If you select 24 or less channels then FlashScan will use 10fps scan mode (unless explicitly commanded to use Dynamic). The 10fps scan mode places less demand on the class-2 bus and is the preferred logging method.

If you *must* use Dynamic scan mode, I recommend setting the "time between frames" to 100ms to allow other messages to be trasnmitted on the bus.

Regards
Paul

C3vette75
June 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Paul
I had 10fps, 12 PIDs, 16 channels. Dynamic scan mode was not selected. I logged for about 22 minutes without exceedind the FlashScan units limit. I also had the air conditioning running. It's 95F here in Virginia now. I did get 1133 code during the logging, which is the drivers side O2 sensor switching, but I would get this same code in the past before using the FlashScan unit and then it didn't effect the idle. I even tried replacing the O2 sensor with a Denso sensor but that didn't help.
Thanks
Joe

Blacky
June 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Is the idle effect noticable when FlashScan is connected but not logging?
Paul

C3vette75
June 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I don't know for sure. I'll try it again tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks
Joe

C3vette75
June 16th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Paul
I tried logging tonight with the FlasScan unit, everything worked fine. There were no idle problems while logging or with the FlashScan unit turned off when coming to a stop. I reverified the pids first then selected 17 pids, 22 channels and made sure it was selected to 10 fps. This time I didn't throw the 1133 code. Maybe I had it in the dynamic scan mode when I first tried it and didn't realize it. Thanks for the help.
Joe

BowlingSS
June 18th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Paul
. I did get 1133 code during the logging, which is the drivers side O2 sensor switching, but I would get this same code in the past before using the FlashScan unit and then it didn't effect the idle. I even tried replacing the O2 sensor with a Denso sensor but that didn't help.
Thanks
Joe

You might try replacing the O2 sensor with a rear vett sensor. I think it is a Bosch 13111. After I replaced mine(about 6 months ago) the codes has never returned.

Bill

C3vette75
June 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I know the rear O2s have a higer temperature heating element but on the vet the connector is different on the rear than the front for 2001. The rear connector is square 2 X 2 and the fronts are rectangular 1 X 4. I have been thinking of splicing a front connector to a rear O2, unless someone can tell me where to get the right connectors. The Denso O2 also has a higher temperature heating element than the stock O2, the resistance was greater than two times that's why I tried the Denso.
Joe

BowlingSS
June 19th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I know the rear O2s have a higer temperature heating element but on the vet the connector is different on the rear than the front for 2001. The rear connector is square 2 X 2 and the fronts are rectangular 1 X 4. I have been thinking of splicing a front connector to a rear O2, unless someone can tell me where to get the right connectors. The Denso O2 also has a higher temperature heating element than the stock O2, the resistance was greater than two times that's why I tried the Denso.
Joe

That too bad you can not use them. They work great on my Camaro. I wonder why GM made the connectors different? The front and rear have the same connector on the Camaro.

Bill