PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Calling all 07 TBSS Tuners

WyoSS
October 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Let me start by saying this site is great. I've spend a bunch of time searching this forum. It seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. I'm glad to see that other TBSS'ers are tuning their own vehicles.

Could someone take a look at my stock Setup?:help2:

Here is my stock Torque Reduction 1->2 Shift {D1104}
Here is my stock Torque Reduction 2->3 Shift {D2104}
Here is my stock Torque Reduction 3->4 Shift {D3104}

Here is my stock Desired 1->2 Shift Time {D1101}
Here is my stock Desired 2->3 Shift Time {D2101}
3->4 is all zeros

I followed Jocar's tutorial, but I'm a little unsure of the adjustments I made.

So, when I decrease the TQ Reduction should I reduce each data point in the table by about 10%? Can I get away with tweaking the curve, i.e., change the profile? Or am I better off keeping the stock profile, but reducing each entry by a set amount?

GMPX
October 14th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Nice post, well presented images.

Basically what will occur with you reducing the Trq Managment is the trans will shift a little quicker, you need to then have that work with you, not against you so that is why the shift time tables need to also be changed.

Not sure what it is like on the TBSS but it's normally the moderate to full throttle shifts that you want to change (unless you think the part throttles are too strung out too). So for the high load shifts just change the curve of both tables for that area (High Torque, High TPS).

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
October 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Hey man, I havent tuned a SS yet but know a ton about them. Basically dont remove all the TM, go for like 15-20% of original to keep the trans together and lower the shift times to something that is comfortable for you. The regular TB guys can get away with running 0 shift times and 0 TM (like me), but the LS2 will rip apart the 4L70E in a heartbeat if you dont leave some granny built in or build the trans.

Rhino79
October 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I would 0 the times and personally I would remove all the TQ MGT, but thats just me.

ScarabEpic22
October 15th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I would 0 the times and personally I would remove all the TQ MGT, but thats just me.
Have to disagree with you man, the trans coupled to the TB SS is really really weak (ie blowing up grandma driving them without a tune), so take it easy on the trans aggression until you have it to a safe level or can afford to buy a built trans.

WyoSS
October 16th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the responses. I took about 10% TQ reduction out and quickened my shift times. I also boosted the line pressure 5%.

I went to setup the scanner couldn’t find the line pressure. I think its CPS (something like that), but I don’t have that parameter. Do I need to update the T42 files, E67, or both? Thanks again.

Chuck CoW
October 16th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Have to disagree with you man, the trans coupled to the TB SS is really really weak (ie blowing up grandma driving them without a tune), so take it easy on the trans aggression until you have it to a safe level or can afford to buy a built trans.

I would have to agree with the "zero is best" method..... I can't begin to tell you have many of these I've tuned and No problems or failures to date.....

Surely, it's all about feel and driver comfort however....If you got the rest of the tune right and make smart changes to the pressure control tables, you can deliver and explosively fast vehicle with good part throttle shift feel and and a WOT shift that will kick your azz.....

An automatic trans (engine tune has a lot to do with it too...) is not nearly as simple a people might think....

The impression I get from the forums is "we'll add some pressure here, remove TQ managment here, and make it shift a bit later here....DONE."

Frankly, I'm a "zero" man.... Shut it all off... However, you have to make the engine and trans work together....My best advice is to "think" about what the trans is trying to do.... Once you figure that out.... You'll never have a problem with trans blowing.....

Haven't lost one yet!
Chuck CoW

kbracing96
October 16th, 2007, 03:28 AM
One thing you guys might want to consider too, is looking at his user name, he is in Wyoming (I'm gona guess Casper) Which is high elevation (probable 4500+ft), so he's not making near as much power as a lot of the TBSS you guys tune, so dropping most if not all of the TM is not nears as big of a deal.

WyoSS
October 16th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Good guess KB, but I'm a little closer to 6700' (Saratoga). I know that I'm making quite a bit less HP at this elevation. I don't take my TBSS to the track, so I just want firmer shifts and increased trans life.

I didn't really notice much of a difference after making those adjustments. When I had my Silverado SS I had all TQ management removed, but I'm not sure what the tuner did with the shift times and or pressure. It was a mail order tune.

My main concern is making an adjustment that will greatly reduce the life of the trans.

Maggie
October 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM
An automatic trans (engine tune has a lot to do with it too...) is not nearly as simple a people might think....

Exactly! Well said Chuck.
Engine, converter and trans have to live in harmony. It's important to understand how each works with the other.

Not all people drive the same. A tune that might provide a long drive train life for some may come unraveled with someone else behind the wheel.

....My best advice is to "think" about what the trans is trying to do....

Again, Good advice! From reading post, both here and elsewhere, it seems to me that many people jump in and start making changes without a basic understanding of mechanical function and resulting effect.

Once you figure that out.... You'll never have a problem with trans blowing.....

Yep, but...Something to consider is how mechanically sound the trans/converter is to begin with. I have seen mechanical problems in transmissions with very low miles. An inspection of the tranny beforehand can save frustration down the road.
Even the best tune is doomed if there is something amiss internally.

Haven't lost one yet!
Chuck CoW
:rockon: :cheers: :notacrook:

ScarabEpic22
October 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Im not telling you what to do, Im just forwarding my knowledge of the TB SS and its extremely pansy transmission that cannot handle the LS2 and the weight of the TB. If you think you can 0 the times and everything, go for it but if you do anything more than just a CAI and exhaust, maybe efans, you should probably get a built trans to hold the power.

TLKSCHP
October 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I have also been playing with the tune in my TBSS. As for zeroing out the tables that apears to be what the superchips hand held does. i didn't run mine with it at zero but I have 2 friends that have been doing it several months now since they use the hand helds. Both my friends and mine don't like the shift points messed with on the 2-3 shift, it won't shift and just hangs their like a speed limiter.

Chevy366
October 17th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Not to butt in , but zeroing the shift times just removes the "Adaptive Shift Learning" correct ?
And TM just pulls timing or throttle at shift correct ?
Just curious !

SScarTuning
October 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM
There are a few things I think I can add to this post. I didn't read everything so dont flame me if I missed something.

I have tuned 20 06 TBSS's and 9 07 TBSS's with HPT.

If you have a stock trans in a TBSS removing all the torque management will toast the trans with very minimal mods. I personally took out 4 transmissions in my 06 TBSS with varying levels of mods from bolt on's to a 637rwhp turbo.

Second, if you 0 the trans tm tables completely in an 07 you may get the notorious "dead petal" leaving at least a 1 in the TM abuse tables will keep the check from looping and instigating the dead pedal issue.

Third,
If you are going to kill torque management on a stock trans...leave the downshift torque management. It will save your trans and keep it together a lot longer than one without it.

Lastly,
I would suggest that if you have a mod happy TBSS customer advise them to build the trans and put a converter in it with a trans cooler. At a minimum do servos and a trans cooler. Everything they do after building the trans will be better served by having the built trans and a converter. The TBSS is a big heavy truck, it is hard on the trans and hard to get out of the hole. I have an 06 and an 07 both make 600ish wheel horsepower and I speak from LOTS of experience.

ScarabEpic22
October 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Yep, cooler and servos before you really start doing anything more than a tune.