PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Controller EEPROM Reflash after crash

SBTuner
October 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hello, I have a customer who locked up two new controllers found on 2007 Chev Van - Full size. These guys are converting these vehicles to CNG. Anyhow I checked both controllers and cannot reflash them, there is no COMM. I ran into this issue before and sent a PCM off to Jesse Bubb where he was able to help. He told me at that time that if I had an EEPROM burner that all I needed was an adapter for the burner after desoldering the chip. Well I am about to attempt to restore a crashed PCM...

I need to know what I need to load on the chip after I erase it? Anyone?

Regards,

Scott

MICK
October 16th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I like this topic.

Hi Scott,

What you need to wright to the new chip is the original binnary image that would be found in the old chip.

Because the old chip will not play, you might have a drama getting a file to do that. You may need to find one from another sorce.

Most chip programmers work with binnary format files, so you would need a bin file of the complete tune cal of the vehicle that you need to sort out.

Using the programmer you would upload the .bin file to the new chip.

Chip is 4 mb,

Tune cal is 512 kb + or -

Install the 512 kb .bin file in the right location on the chip.

Maybe the addressing would be towards the back end of memory of the chip.

Does or could anybody supply links to programmer 's that could handle 28f040 flash type chip.

cheers

Mick

WHYTRYZ06
October 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM
cool info

GMPX
October 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I use the Elnec (http://www.elnec.com/) programmers, with the adapter for the Flash chips the cost is around $1K.

I would say to anyone contemplating this it is VERY easy to destroy a PCM trying to remove and refit a flash chip, if you have really good soldering skills and the right equipment, go for it, otherwise, $50 spent at a wrecking yard will save you a lot of frustration.

Cheers,
Ross

SBTuner
October 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I use the Elnec (http://www.elnec.com/) programmers, with the adapter for the Flash chips the cost is around $1K.

I would say to anyone contemplating this it is VERY easy to destroy a PCM trying to remove and refit a flash chip, if you have really good soldering skills and the right equipment, go for it, otherwise, $50 spent at a wrecking yard will save you a lot of frustration.

Cheers,
Ross
Hello Ross, i appreciate your comments but the PCM is already broken and I have the adapter for this chip. I also have the soldering tweezer for this chip also. I know if it can be done then I want to be able to do it. The PCM's are brand new and it would be nice to make them run again.

Regards,

MICK
October 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
That's the sort of spirt I like....:)

Lets us know how you go, Im interested how you get on.

joecar
October 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Post pics... :cheers:

BTW: Data IO makes programmers for just about every programmable memory.

Biggsy
October 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I have just repaired a 2002 LS1 PCM, had to borrow the use of a programmer (mine states it can do 28f400 Intel flash chips, but it couldn't :bawl: )

I don't have the SMD soldering gear so I worked out an easy way to solder/desolder them (well I found it easy). I made a heatsink to draw excess heat away from from chip (basically a block of ally the same size of the chip)
I used a gas soldering iron but have a hot tip attachment that uses a catalyst to blow hot air out of the end. I used a small screwdriver to gently apply upwards pressure on the chip as I blew hot air backwards and forwards over the pins, within seconds the pins will lift off the CB, (be careful not to lever too hard or you will bend the pins on the other side).
I did the same to the other side of the chip, and voila!

Resoldering was a matter of placing the chip back over the solder pads (I actually applyed more solder to the pads b4), used the same soldering iron to apply hot air to the pins as I held pressure down on top of the chip.

I'm not sure if I really needed the heatsink but wanted to play safe.

EDIT: WARNING, if you do this, you still can f@$k the CB, the hot tips can melt other solder pads and burn the PCM board if held there too long or pointed wrong

2002_z28_six_speed
October 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
What package is the flash memory in? Is it possible to get a socket for it.

Biggsy
October 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
POSP 44pin
Yes you can get a socket, no you cant solder it to the board as it has offset pins (two offset rows on each side) which are out wider than the chip itself. (This is for the 28f400 chip on an LS1 512k PCM)