PDA

View Full Version : Files have been approved. New Vortec update in here.

wait4me
October 17th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Place these files into your C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Calibrations\VRB folder.

Included in the update are,

More idle perameters including ones that control spark.
More Torque limiting things.
Dwell Coil charge times.
Desired Amps from your alternater vs rpms.
Obd diagnostics test control.
Fixed error for speedo calcs being invalid.
and a few other cool things you will have to look for.

:cheers:

Rhino79
October 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I put it in the VRB .cal folder, but I don't have anything new. Do I need to change the file extension or something?

wait4me
October 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM
did you unrar it ?

Rhino79
October 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I unblocked it, if thats what you mean.....my OS is Vista home.

wait4me
October 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
No, the files need to be un RARed, it is a compressed file. Winrar is a program you can use.

Rhino79
October 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Gotcha, I would have figured that a brand new pc with the latest os would work on all file types, but i guess not. I downloaded a trial version and it worked like a charm! Thanks Jessie

Doc
October 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the hard work.

dc_justin
October 17th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks Jesse, appreciate the effort you put into this.

Redline Motorsports
October 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I guess I am too far into the GEN3/4's................which cars use the Vortec??

Howard

dc_justin
October 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I guess I am too far into the GEN3/4's................which cars use the Vortec??

Howard

Bunch of Gen1 trucks and SUVs

jomobco
October 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Overwrite the other files, correct?

Extinct
August 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
OK, i know this is an old thread, but I just found it. Looks like all the files in the zipped folder are .cal, how do you use those with EFILive?

joecar
August 13th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Those .cal files are already included in V7 software install since some time ago (2008/9) (just be sure to install the latest build)...

they are located under C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\VRB and the tunetool automatically reads them when opening a tune file containing those OS's.

EagleMark
August 24th, 2012, 02:04 AM
This is a area that still needs lots of paremeters added to be worthy of EFI Live. Lots missing. Could we start a Feature request list like done in the Cummins engine forum?

ScarabEpic22
August 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM
This is a area that still needs lots of paremeters added to be worthy of EFI Live. Lots missing. Could we start a Feature request list like done in the Cummins engine forum?

You can try, but honestly I'd bet big $$ that unless Jesse (or another 3rd party) wants to spend more time finding tables and building the definitions, what we have is all we're going to get. Just like the P10 stuff, these are one of those engine controllers that were only used for a few years.

At least with the Vortec 98-00 (and 96-97 you have to), you can upgrade pretty painlessly to an LS1 0411 PCM. Takes a few hours of moving pins and $50-75 for a PCM plus a VIN license (Id just buy an 0411 and not spend the $$ on a Vortec VIN license) and you can tune it just like any other LS1 PCM.

EagleMark
August 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I understand it's not hard to swap to a 411, I have several sitting here, but I have no need with this truck.

It was really a waste of money/license for what is offered, I expected much more, at least somewhat close to LS1 def? Even in the same ball park as EFI Live...

I got way more done on this truck with other software and cable... Really Disappointed!

ScarabEpic22
August 25th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I understand it's not hard to swap to a 411, I have several sitting here, but I have no need with this truck.

It was really a waste of money/license for what is offered, I expected much more, at least somewhat close to LS1 def? Even in the same ball park as EFI Live...

I got way more done on this truck with other software and cable... Really Disappointed!

I feel your pain, look at the P10/LL8 cals. Theres enough there to make a decent tune, but not a lot more. There's no way it'll ever get close to the LS1 cals either.

As much as it sucks, look at it this way: if you really want to tune a Vortec and are willing to buy EFILive at $899, another $50 for a LS1 PCM isnt the end of the world (not great, but not horrible). You're going to have to buy/use a VIN license regardless, upgrading to the LS1 PCM and buying a license for it means you dont have to buy 2 (1 for the Vortec PCM and 1 for the LS1 PCM).

If all you want to do is tune for a little more power and tweak spark/VE, it gets the job done. If you want to do more, time for a LS1 PCM.

EagleMark
August 25th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Oh... So the license I used can be swapped to LS PCM if I do the swap because of licensing is to VIN of truck?

I got the software for LSx, but figured I'd get used to it on the truck. I had no idea there was that much difference in the defs...

joecar
August 26th, 2012, 02:18 PM
No, licensing is to the PCM/ECM serial number, not to the VIN.

ScarabEpic22
August 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Oh... So the license I used can be swapped to LS PCM if I do the swap because of licensing is to VIN of truck?

I got the software for LSx, but figured I'd get used to it on the truck. I had no idea there was that much difference in the defs...

No, licensing is to the PCM/ECM serial number, not to the VIN.

Unfortunately what Joe said, you would still have to pay $125 for another VIN license to tune an 0411 PCM if you swapped it. What I was trying to say (and failing miserably), was that if you really wanted to tweak a Vortec then you're better off doing the PCM swap FIRST and then just using 1 VIN license to tune that.

Remember you can view tunes from all controllers without actually licensing them, I think at some point or another Ive gotten bored and looked through EVERY controller EFILive supports.:bash:

joecar
August 26th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yes, a license is used only for flashing a controller.